Help: Internal US Robotics Sportster Winmodem 33.6

Help: Internal US Robotics Sportster Winmodem 33.6

Post by J. Melcher » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am running Linux - kernel version 2.0.3 (SuSE 5.0, June 1997) - and want
to use my
internal US Robotics Sportster Winmodem 33.6 (I have no manual for it).

Examining the settings under Win95 I get the following:

 - COM2
 - Interrupt 3
 - Adress $110
 - UART NS 16550AN

Under Linux I have a link '/dev/modem' to '/dev/ttyS1'. I tried to dialout
using MINICOM
and TERMITE, but TERMITE says it is unable to open the device. MINICOM
'initializes' the
modem but does not dial (no error messages).

I already asked someone: The modem uses Windows GDI functions. But using
HYPERTERM under
Win95 I can type AT Hayes commands.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

        J. Melchert

(Please excuse my bad english.)

Help: Internal US Robotics Sportster Winmodem 33.6

Post by John Thomps » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am running Linux - kernel version 2.0.3 (SuSE 5.0, June 1997) - and want
>to use my
>internal US Robotics Sportster Winmodem 33.6 (I have no manual for it).

No can do.  The "Winmodem" moniker means that it is not a real
modem; ie, it is missing crucial hardware to perform as a modem
and instead requires a Windows-only software driver to function.
Although there is no reason in principle why an appropriate
driver couldn't be made for linux, the manufacturers apparently
are not interested in developing drivers for non-Windows
platforms and have not been forthcoming with the needed specs for
others to do so.  As "cheapness" is the very reason why Winmodems
were developed and marketed, I feel it is unlikely to expect much
effort to be expended in developing drivers for other platforms.

Post by Rob Cla » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I am running Linux - kernel version 2.0.3 (SuSE 5.0, June 1997) - and want
>to use my
>internal US Robotics Sportster Winmodem 33.6 (I have no manual for it).

Winmodem = Windows-only modem.  Sorry :(

Quote:>Examining the settings under Win95 I get the following:
> - UART NS 16550AN

Is there a real UART on the modem card?
Probably not.
The special Windows software does the processing for the brainless
"modem."