Linux, V.92, and call waiting.

Post by walterby » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 23:03:53

I want to switch from windows to linux for internet connection.

I just got a new Actiontec Ext 56K/V.92 modem. Haven't opened yet, may
take it back.

The idea is: I don't want to miss calls while online. I don't really
mind if a call breaks my internet connection. I have call waiting, and
I do not have call waiting disabled on my windows system. But, I have
found that call waiting usually does not break my internet connection.

I have tried an el-cheapo "NetoDragon" V.92. The call-waiting feature
doesn't seem to work that well on windows. I can't get the modem to
work on Linux at all, although the modem is advertised at "linux
compatible."

I have a way old (1995) US Robotics ISA hardware modem. Surprisingly,
on a windows box, I seem to get much faster downloads than with my
brand new netodragon. Since my windows box has an AMD 1600+ CPU, and
376MB RAM, I would think my system has enough power to compensate for
lack of modem hardware. The USRobotics modem seems to work fine in
Linux - but I'm worried about the call waiting thing.

Finally: will V.92 work with Linux? I know my ISP supports V.92. But,
the system requirements for this modem are: Windows 98/NT/ME/2000/XP.
I think the modem will work with linux, but I wonder if the V.92 call
waiting feature isn't software dependent.

Also, does V.92 have anything to do with whether or not a call is
broken? Or does V.92 just allow the connection to pick up where it
left off.

Linux, V.92, and call waiting.

Post by Ray » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 04:54:21

Quote:> I want to switch from windows to linux for internet connection.

> I just got a new Actiontec Ext 56K/V.92 modem. Haven't opened yet, may
> take it back.

If it uses a serial connection it will work for sure, if it's usb then it
will still probably work but I'm not 100% sure about that model.  IMHO
Actiontec makes some pretty good stuff.

Quote:> The idea is: I don't want to miss calls while online. I don't really
> mind if a call breaks my internet connection. I have call waiting, and
> I do not have call waiting disabled on my windows system. But, I have
> found that call waiting usually does not break my internet connection.

It might be simpler to use one of those external boxes they've been
advertising for putting your internet connection "on hold" when a call comes
in.  They're mostly worthless for their advertised purpose but they will do
what you want just fine.

Quote:

> I have tried an el-cheapo "NetoDragon" V.92. The call-waiting feature
> doesn't seem to work that well on windows. I can't get the modem to
> work on Linux at all, although the modem is advertised at "linux
> compatible."

I don't know anything at all about that modem.

Quote:> I have a way old (1995) US Robotics ISA hardware modem. Surprisingly,
> on a windows box, I seem to get much faster downloads than with my
> brand new netodragon. Since my windows box has an AMD 1600+ CPU, and
> 376MB RAM, I would think my system has enough power to compensate for
> lack of modem hardware. The USRobotics modem seems to work fine in
> Linux - but I'm worried about the call waiting thing.

No amount of cpu will compensate for lack of modem hardware, winmodems are
junk and just about impossible to troubleshoot, even on Windows.

Quote:> Finally: will V.92 work with Linux? I know my ISP supports V.92. But,
> the system requirements for this modem are: Windows 98/NT/ME/2000/XP.

Be aware that even ISPs that claim to support V.92 may not support it at all
dialup locations.  Also they may not support all features of V.92, maybe
just the new speeds.

Quote:> I think the modem will work with linux, but I wonder if the V.92 call
> waiting feature isn't software dependent.

I don't know the details of how modern modems handle this.  Most likely you
enable this feature with an init string and when a call comes in the modem
either does something useful or just sends an escape code back to the PC to
be handled by software.  The only way to be sure is to get the complete
command set for the modem.  Unfortunately modem makers these days tend to
only supply partial command sets if any at all and act like you are asking
top secret info if you ask them for details.

--
Ray

Linux, V.92, and call waiting.

Post by Bob Marti » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:30:47

> Finally: will V.92 work with Linux? I know my ISP supports V.92. But,
> the system requirements for this modem are: Windows 98/NT/ME/2000/XP.
> I think the modem will work with linux, but I wonder if the V.92 call
> waiting feature isn't software dependent.

> Also, does V.92 have anything to do with whether or not a call is
> broken? Or does V.92 just allow the connection to pick up where it
> left off.

v92 is a communications standard handled by the modems, not the OS. I
would imagine the is some setting on the modem to tell it how to handle
call waiting.

http://www.v92.com/about/
--

Bob Martin