Microsoft mouse in Win95 ms-dos mode?

Post by Tatu » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

My Microsoft mouse works beautifully in Windows 95 but it the computer will
not detect it in ms-dos mode.  The mouse is a serial mouse on COM 1.  Any
advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Travis Tatum.

Microsoft mouse in Win95 ms-dos mode?

Post by Tim » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Since this isn't the proper forum for this question, I'll keep it short.
Either add a mouse driver in your autoexec.bat or if you don't want to
waste extra memory all the time do this:  in Explorer, in the folder
containing the executable, right click on the executable, select
properties, select program, pick advanced, hit radio button MS-DOS mode,
smack radio button specify a new MS-DOS configuration and add a mouse
driver to the autoexec.bat for MS-DOS mode.  These files will only be used
when going to dos mode from windows.
bye, bye

Quote:> My Microsoft mouse works beautifully in Windows 95 but it the computer
will
> not detect it in ms-dos mode.  The mouse is a serial mouse on COM 1.  Any
> advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

> Thank You,

> Travis Tatum.

1. help : Win95 in MS-DOS compatibility mode

After running the bare bootdisk for Linux Slackware 3 Win95 is now
running in MS-DOS compatibility mode.
The question is what changed ?
I presume that the bootdisk didn't access my hard-disk and therefore
Win95 should have re-booted OK.
Could the Linux bootdisk have changed the PCIbios for some reason or
affected the hard-disk setup.
I have an OPTI Dual PCI controller with a Quantum Fireball 1Gb hard-disk
attached.
All was running fine however now the IDE controllers have exclamation
marks through them and state Code 10 in troubleshooting.
In IO.LOG my devices (2 and 3) are now using real mode drivers I presume
they were using protected mode drivers before - can I re-install these or
get Win95 to use them again ?
To run Linux does WIn95 have to oprerate in compatibility mode or did
something change in my hardware ?
Do I need to use a different bootdisk as I have installed a SCSI
controller, ethernet card and a Mitsumi CD-Rom - I am planning to install
off my hard-disk though.
I want to set up Linux and Win95 at home so as to do my 'academic' UNIX
work at home and hearing how well Win95 worked with LINUX I wanted to
give it a go.
All is not lost though as WinTune states that my hard disk performance is
now better than it was before so perhaps I should leave the real mode
drivers.

TIA,
Martyn Colliver

2. How rto restrict ftp directory access (linux)

3. Three buttons of Mouse in Microsoft Mode???

4. RS floppy disk problem ?

5. Mouse System vs Microsoft mode

6. Access Time (msec)

7. Conflict with Microsoft intelligent Mouse and Microsoft Natural Keyboard

8. Linux Newbie can't install netscape.

9. What kind of mouse is Microsoft mouse on Gateway-2000 ?

10. Help! Microsoft Mouse (mouse port) & XFree86 3.1

11. Expert Mouse -- only works as 2 button microsoft mouse

12. Wild Microsoft Mouse Port Compatible Mouse

13. FreeBSD & Win95 / mounting an ms-dos partition