Which PC to buy in uk to run linux ?

Post by Andy Standle » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
        Is there a list - or could there be somewhere (not a new idea I'm sure)
- of what machines people have bought and installed linux on. I know
little about PC's except I will get one but want Linux on it. Are there
standard machines in the UK that I can buy and install linux on - ie has
anybody done this before on machine XXXXX ?

any help please

andy

Post by Michael C. Vergall » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,
>    Is there a list - or could there be somewhere (not a new idea I'm sure)
>- of what machines people have bought and installed linux on. I know
>little about PC's except I will get one but want Linux on it. Are there
>standard machines in the UK that I can buy and install linux on - ie has
>anybody done this before on machine XXXXX ?

Try to read the hardware-Howto on sunsite.unc.edu

Michael

--
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28                  http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/

Post by Matt Kirsc » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> >Hi,
> >       Is there a list - or could there be somewhere (not a new idea I'm sure)
> >- of what machines people have bought and installed linux on. I know
> >little about PC's except I will get one but want Linux on it. Are there
> >standard machines in the UK that I can buy and install linux on - ie has
> >anybody done this before on machine XXXXX ?

> Try to read the hardware-Howto on sunsite.unc.edu

That's hopelessly outdated.
There is no way for one person to feasibly keep a complete
and updated Hardware HOWTO in their spare time.

Try RedHat's Hardware Compatibility list. It's someone's
job to keep that list up to date. If you buy a computer with
components from that list, you are pretty sure to have a
computer that will run Linux. I say "pretty sure" because
the behaviour of hardware from one "identical" machine to
the next might vary widely with Linux due to circumstances
beyond anyone's control. Almost every PC you can buy is
built with standard off-the-shelf parts. Just do not buy
the PC unless you can make sure that you know who makes
each and every part, what model it is, and that it will
work with Linux. Also look for sellers that are Linux
friendly, and those that will let you exchange parts
or return parts because of incompatibilities.

Personally, I recommend the Compaq DeskPro series, which
must be available around the world. My 2000 has IDE drives,
32MB of RAM, and a Cirrus Logic video chipset. I had to
add an append= line to /etc/lilo.conf to make the extra
16MB of RAM recognized, but other than that, it works like
a charm out of the box. For a nice ethernet card, I recommend
3COM products. I've had both a 3c503 and a 3c509 in this box,
and both work well in Linux. I'm running 16-bit color in X
on a 17" monitor with the 1MB video RAM upgrade. These boxes
are also available with the Matrox Millenium video card,
which is also nice in Linux.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

1. To buy a Pc or to buy a Mac to run Linux

Hello Linux Gurus!

I am new at the PC world, but many moons ago I lived in the UNIX world.
I fell in love with "vi", and I remember a bit about Xwindows.

So I have to get a laptop.   However all of my friends use Macintosh.
I read where Linux does not run on Macintosh because Macintosh hardware
only supports Macintosh OS.

So this laptop I am thinking of buying will be used as a portable
Web PC.   (I just do not see Oracle making the Web PC happen as they
see it.)  I want to run Netscape, text editor (my preference for "vi")
mail and other basic things.   IBM claims to support complete computer
telephone on their laptops plus stereo sound.

What kind of system configuration would you buy in this situation?

Thanks,
John Michael

2. Unix System Admin Reference "Bible".

3. Mac owner wants to buy PC finally and run Linux

4. Syntax error in /usr/include/rpc/svc.h

5. Buying a PC in order to run Linux.

6. glQuake and G400

7. uk PC suppliers of PCs for linux?

8. re-install

9. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?

10. Where to buy Linux on CD in UK?

11. Where to buy Quicknet Linux Jack hardware in UK?

12. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

13. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux