Linux Installation under Dell Laptop Latitude XPI 135 without CD ROM

Linux Installation under Dell Laptop Latitude XPI 135 without CD ROM

Post by Istvan Cocro » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Linux Fans and Freaks!,

Can anyone give me some suggestions how to install
the Linux system on my Dell Laptop without CD ROM drive.
I tried it via Harddisk copy, (directories suse, a1, setup....as described)
but the console is not found and it stops the system.
(Even SuSe support could not help)

thanks in advance

--
Istvan Cocron

Post by Peter Teube » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Linux Fans and Freaks!,

> Can anyone give me some suggestions how to install
> the Linux system on my Dell Laptop without CD ROM drive.
> I tried it via Harddisk copy, (directories suse, a1, setup....as described)
> but the console is not found and it stops the system.
> (Even SuSe support could not help)

> thanks in advance

> --
> Istvan Cocron

not for the faint of heart I think, but what I did was install
the base system with floppies, and then configured the kernel
for PLIP and updated the rest via PLIP

- peter

(PLIP is the parallel port SLIP/PPP like interface, which allows
you to NSF mount another disk, and from thereon continue the
installation if you have another linux system setup properly)
--
Peter Teuben                http://www.astro.umd.edu/~teuben

University of Maryland      ftp://ftp.astro.umd.edu/pub/teuben
College Park, MD 20742      audio:301-405-1540

Linux Installation under Dell Laptop Latitude XPI 135 without CD ROM

Post by Andreas Rothe » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Can anyone give me some suggestions how to install
> the Linux system on my Dell Laptop without CD ROM drive.
> I tried it via Harddisk copy, (directories suse, a1, setup....as described)
> but the console is not found and it stops the system.
> (Even SuSe support could not help)

I've installed the SuSE distribution on a Notebook without CD-ROM using
the kernel that has PLIP compiled into it. With the right cable it was no
fuss at all. Just follow the instructions given in the handbook and
everything should work fine. Of course you'll have to use another PC that
has PLIP configured correctly, but that shouldn't be the problem.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Wuestenstrasse 33                                      phone: +49 541 9827761
D-49080 Osnabrueck                                       fax: +49 541 9827760