Linux + raid + Oracle 10G

Post by Kelv » Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:45:14

Hi,

I plan to build, or purchase pre built, two servers to cluster an Oracle
10G database on. However, I am having a hard time figuring out what will
be the best arrangement within my budget of < $5000 per machine.

Dual Xeon or dual Opteron? I'm informed that I'll get better performance
from the latter, and have read that 10G will run, just in 32 bit mode. I
am trying to avoid 32bit vs 64bit library hell.

SATA RAID or SCSI RAID? The former is cheaper, but how reliable is it? I
have looked at the 3Ware 9500S-12 and 8506-12 cards for a RAID 10
config.  As far as SCSI is concerned, I'm aware the MTBF on drives is
higher, and it'd be better, but don't know which SCSI hardware RAID card
to try with Linux. I don't want to have to load some proprietary driver
module tied to one specific kernel, and want the system to be able to
boot Linux from the array rather than a boot hard disk.

As for the motherboard, I'm looking at one of the 7xxx chipset boards as
they'll have the 64bit PCI slots the 3Ware (or SCSI raid card) needs and
can support more ram (4gb upwards). Does anyone recommend any particular
brand? (Tyan, Supermicro, other?)

I'd like to get a 4U case as rack space isn't an issue, and am hoping I
can just pop in the required number of SATA or SCSI hotswap cages. If I
go for SATA, will any SATA hotswap do? The SATA spec says it's hot
swappable whatever, but then why do some cages come as '3Ware approved'?
Is it just marketing or is there something to it?

Questions, questions. Advice welcome!

Kelv

Linux + raid + Oracle 10G

Post by Juha Laih » Wed, 27 Oct 2004 01:38:55

Quote:>I plan to build, or purchase pre built, two servers to cluster an Oracle
>10G database on.

Cluster? Oracle RAC, or just plain old-style failover? And anyway, in
either case you'll need a storage system that is accessible from both
of the machines:
- SATA RAID won't work, at least to the best of my knowledge it's single-
  node only
- SCSI RAID would work, as long as you can connect it to both machines
  simultaneously
- an external NFS server would work, but if it's fault tolerance you're
  looking for, make sure the NFS server (or the network between your Oracle
  servers and the NFS server) will not become the weakest point of your
  installation

Quote:>Dual Xeon or dual Opteron? I'm informed that I'll get better performance
>from the latter, and have read that 10G will run, just in 32 bit mode. I
>am trying to avoid 32bit vs 64bit library hell.

If it's just Oracle (database) you're planning to run on this, then my
recent experience seems to be that amount of memory is more often an
issue than CPU speed (if CPU speed becomes the bottleneck, it's most
probably a problem with application design/implementation).

Quote:>As far as SCSI is concerned, I'm aware the MTBF on drives is higher,

Well, as long as you have fault-tolerant disk subsystem, I wouldn't
be too concerned on MTBF of a single drive. Of course, failing one
would mean that you'll run in degraded mode for some time -- but
anyway you'll have to plan to be able to run in degraded mode for
some time.

Sorry for not giving any answers, but hopefully these questions help
you to find the direction.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

Linux + raid + Oracle 10G

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:09:23

>>I plan to build, or purchase pre built, two servers to cluster an Oracle
>>10G database on.

> Cluster? Oracle RAC, or just plain old-style failover? And anyway, in
> either case you'll need a storage system that is accessible from both
> of the machines:
> - SATA RAID won't work, at least to the best of my knowledge it's single-
>   node only

There are external enclosures that hold SATA disks but use a SCSI (or
Fibre Channel) interface to the host.  That might be a viable option.
That way you get the lower cost of SATA disks but still have the
benefits of a SCSI (or FC) connection to the host(s).  Beware, however,
that such enclosures are quite costly (around $5K and up, IIRC).

I'd strongly recommend that the OP should consult with Oracle experts.
Either find an Oracle-specific newsgroup or contact Oracle directly.
This sort of thing *really* is about Oracle, not Linux.

Linux + raid + Oracle 10G

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:10:45

>>>I plan to build, or purchase pre built, two servers to cluster an Oracle
>>>10G database on.

[..]

Quote:> I'd strongly recommend that the OP should consult with Oracle experts.
> Either find an Oracle-specific newsgroup or contact Oracle directly.
> This sort of thing *really* is about Oracle, not Linux.

Ack.

These might be in addition helpful:

http://www.puschitz.com/OracleOnLinux.shtml
http://www.oracle.com/technology//tech/linux/index.html

--
Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)

#bofh excuse 375: Root name servers corrupted.