Unable to load powernow-k8

Post by Jacob Larse » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 03:16:22

Hello

I'm having problems loading the module powernow-k8. I get the following
output from dmesg:

powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.50.4)
powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects

It is a Debian testing 64 bit system with the stock kernel
2.6.15-1-amd64-k8 running. The hardware is an Athlon 64 3200+ Venice CPU
on an ASUS A8N SLI Platinum motherboard. I have verified that Cool 'n'
Quiet is enabled in BIOS configuration.

It is suggested on http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow! that I may
need some ACPI modules, but I am having problems locating exactly which
ones I need. Are there anyone in here that may be able to help me?

/Jacob

Unable to load powernow-k8

Post by Mark » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:02:40

> Hello

> I'm having problems loading the module powernow-k8. I get the following
> output from dmesg:

> powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.50.4)
> powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects

> It is a Debian testing 64 bit system with the stock kernel
> 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8 running. The hardware is an Athlon 64 3200+ Venice CPU
> on an ASUS A8N SLI Platinum motherboard. I have verified that Cool 'n'
> Quiet is enabled in BIOS configuration.

> It is suggested on http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow! that I may
> need some ACPI modules, but I am having problems locating exactly which
> ones I need. Are there anyone in here that may be able to help me?

> /Jacob

I had a similar problem but it went away when I flashed the
bios to the latest for my motherboard. I can't say if that's
your problem but it's a good idea to have the latest
bios, especially if you put the CPU in the board yourself
(ie it might be newer than the designers of the bios had
when they wrote it).

Mark

Unable to load powernow-k8

Post by Jacob Larse » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:15:36

> I had a similar problem but it went away when I flashed the
> bios to the latest for my motherboard. I can't say if that's
> your problem but it's a good idea to have the latest
> bios, especially if you put the CPU in the board yourself
> (ie it might be newer than the designers of the bios had
> when they wrote it).

Could be. The CPU is a Venice core of the newest stepping (is that E4 or
E6?).
But the upgrade is a bit of a gamble because I already have the newest
official BIOS release from ASUS. But there is a newer Beta BIOS I can try.

/Jacob

Unable to load powernow-k8

Post by Jacob Larse » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:12:36

> I had a similar problem but it went away when I flashed the
> bios to the latest for my motherboard. I can't say if that's
> your problem but it's a good idea to have the latest
> bios, especially if you put the CPU in the board yourself
> (ie it might be newer than the designers of the bios had
> when they wrote it).

I just gambled, and got the latest beta BIOS from the ASUS web site.
That did the trick. So thanks for the advice.

/Jacob

1. K8 and Sis sata

Hi all

I own a brand new mb for my AMD3200+, Jetway S755max
with a Sis chipset 755, southbridge 963 + Sis 180.

I would like to use my Pioneer dvd recorder on the
third parallel ide, controlled by the sis 180 chipset.
I am running fedora core 1, with
kernel-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl.
I have tried this patch for kernel 2.4.25

2.4.25-libata16.patch.bz2
found at:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/old/

and enabled sata_sis.c, compiling it directly in the
kernel (not as module).

Unfortunately it is not detected at boot time. The
lspci -vv output gives:
00:0c.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Integrated
Systems [SiS]: Unknown device 0180 (prog-if 85)
        Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]:
Unknown device 0180
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle-
MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 128
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 12
        Region 0: I/O ports at d400 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at d800 [size=4]
        Region 2: I/O ports at dc00 [size=8]
        Region 3: I/O ports at e000 [size=4]
        Region 4: I/O ports at e400 [size=16]
        Region 5: I/O ports at <unassigned>
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
[size=64K]

I have installed the SiS driver and xp is happy with
the dvd recorder. It is correctly detected by the
bios.

Afterwards, I tried to compile sata_sis as a module.

The parallel Pioneer is still not recognised:

When I modprobe sata_sis I obtain:

libata version 1.02 loaded.
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xD400 ctl 0xD802 bmdma
0xE400 irq 12
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xDC00 ctl 0xE002 bmdma
0xE408 irq 12
ata1: no device found (phy stat 41b7c0c6)
ata1: thread exiting
i8253 count too high! resetting..
ata2: no device found (phy stat 00ff078b)
ata2: thread exiting
scsi1 : sata_sis
scsi2 : sata_sis
i8253 count too high! resetting..

Does it mean that Sis 180 works only with sata, not
with its parallel port?

Thanks

2. KDE just a grey screen on sparc solaris...

3. small cleanups for amd-k8-agp.c

4. hp desk jet 500c anyone?

5. AGP 3/7: remove unused var in amd-k8-agp.c

6. POSIX threads for Linux :Wanted

7. Add AMD K8 support to 2.5.53.

8. Support materials for Linux teachers

9. AMD PowerNow booboo in 2.4.19-pre7-ac3

10. fix warning: unused variable powernow-k6.c

11. PowerNOW! + battery driver

12. Cooling of AMD Mobile Athlon XP (PowerNow! supported?)

13. PowerNow!, cpufreq, and swsusp