irda port - shows up as COM2 alias ttyS1

irda port - shows up as COM2 alias ttyS1

Post by Ulrich Hah » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

..but when opening it or starting pppd on it I  just get IO-errors.
Is there a new device coming up?

--
kind regards
 -ulrich-

request my key for a secure answer
PGP fingerprint: 5AC7 FCA6 D0E5 5A5D  DA58 01B0 5458 6BA8

While it may be true that a watched pot never boils, the one you don't
keep an eye on can make an awful mess of your stove.
  -- Edward Stevenson

irda port - shows up as COM2 alias ttyS1

Post by Ulrich Hah » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

..but when opening it or starting pppd on it I  just get IO-errors.
Is there a new device coming up?

--
kind regards
 -ulrich-

request my key for a secure answer
PGP fingerprint: 5AC7 FCA6 D0E5 5A5D  DA58 01B0 5458 6BA8

While it may be true that a watched pot never boils, the one you don't
keep an eye on can make an awful mess of your stove.
  -- Edward Stevenson

1. Problems with ttyS1 (COM2) Serial Port

i am trying to setup a dial-up server.  i have a USR 28.8 v.34 external modem connected to COM2 of my linux (2.0.34) box.  i have an entry in my inittab file that invokes mgetty on ttyS1 (S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 -D /dev/ttyS1).  i am getting tons of messages in my /var/log/messages file that 'Id "S1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes' and 'device or resource busy'.  when i comment out that line in inittab and do a 'kill -1 1" i no longer get the message.  however, i am still unable to ddial out with the modem using minicom and still get a "device or resource busy".  when i do a 'ps aux' i don't see any processes that are tying up the modem/serial port.  i believe my modem init strings in mgetty.config and minicom are fine because they work on another computer with the same modem connected to it.  any ideas?  thanks in advance!  - gabe (linux newbie)

2. Newbie: Strange Login Messages and Mounting Warnings

3. Login from serial port (COM2, ttyS1) ?

4. BYTE Feb '96 - "Linux Matters"

5. How to turn off COM2 (ttyS1) ?

6. debugging with qt

7. Printer prints from ttyS0 (modem port), but how from ttyS1 (printer port)?

8. How to solve DNS problems in AIX 4.3.x?

9. ttyS1 not showing up..

10. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

11. (/dev/ttyS1): Permission denied cu: /dev/ttyS1: Line in use Connection lost

12. ttyS1 and ttys1 - What's the diff?

13. 2.5.28 make modules_install error (sound/oss/*.o , net/irda/irda.o)