Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Post by kellybo » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:37:17

Why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

kellyboy

Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Post by NervousSpea » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:48:23

Quote:> Why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Because the ISA modem contains a processor for decoding and encoding analog
signal. A PCI modem uses software to use CPU to decoding and encoding. The
software is cheaper that the hardware, but the hardware modem puts less work
on the system, so that you get better CPU performance.

Quote:> kellyboy

Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Post by kellybo » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:20:01

ahh...so its better to use ISA than PCI regardless of OS?

kellyboy

Post by GWM3 » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:52:43

> ahh...so its better to use ISA than PCI regardless of OS?

NO.

ISA modems are probably more expensive because newer motherboards do not have
ISA slots, therefore the demand is (relatively) very low.

What the previous guy was talking about was hardware vs. software modems.
those cheapo modems are ver OS dependent because they use hooks in the
OS/drivers to do make the CPU do most of the signal processing.  True hardware
modems are going to be a little more expensive, but are also going to be
OS-independent and won't be driving your CPU utilization up (important if
you're doing on-line *, etc.)

Bottom line:  I'd recommend spending a little more money and buying a "real" =
hardware PCI modem.

> kellyboy

> > > Why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

> > Because the ISA modem contains a processor for decoding and encoding
> analog
> > signal. A PCI modem uses software to use CPU to decoding and encoding. The
> > software is cheaper that the hardware, but the hardware modem puts less
> work
> > on the system, so that you get better CPU performance.

> > > kellyboy

> > http://www.veryComputer.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> > -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Post by kellybo » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:28:01

that software procession pci modem is 'winmodem'?

Im going have to go back to Best Buy and read the specs on the box to
identify 'which' one is which....I aint going to ask one of those "you need
help" workers...most time they dont know what they are talking about  ( I
brought stuff based on thier 'recommendation' and I ended up returning it!!)

kellyboy

Post by Ra » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:16:40

>Why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Many of the PCI modems out there are winmodems (software modems).  Real
hardware based PCI modems cost about as much or a bit more than an
equivilent ISA modem.  Be aware that there are also some ISA winmodems out
there as well.

--
Ray

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:05:45

>> Why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

> Because the ISA modem contains a processor for decoding and encoding analog
> signal. A PCI modem uses software to use CPU to decoding and encoding. The
> software is cheaper that the hardware, but the hardware modem puts less work
> on the system, so that you get better CPU performance.

THis is the difference between a hardware modem and a software modem,
not between isa and pci. But I agree, that is probably what the
questioner MEANT to ask.

Peter

Post by Johan Kullsta » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 06:00:56

> that software procession pci modem is 'winmodem'?

> Im going have to go back to Best Buy and read the specs on the box to
> identify 'which' one is which....I aint going to ask one of those "you need
> help" workers...most time they dont know what they are talking about  ( I
> brought stuff based on thier 'recommendation' and I ended up
> returning it!!)

forget ISA.  forget PCI.  RS-232C forever!  ask for an _EXTERNAL_.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

sysengr

Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Post by kellybo » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:44:55

Whats the advantage of external over internal??

kellyboy

> > that software procession pci modem is 'winmodem'?

> > Im going have to go back to Best Buy and read the specs on the box to
> > identify 'which' one is which....I aint going to ask one of those "you
need
> > help" workers...most time they dont know what they are talking about
( I
> > brought stuff based on thier 'recommendation' and I ended up
> > returning it!!)

> forget ISA.  forget PCI.  RS-232C forever!  ask for an _EXTERNAL_.

> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

> sysengr

Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Post by James Lewi » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:25:42

If you buy an external it has to be a hardware modem.

Only an internal can be a software modem since its sitting on the system's
bus (of course I was under the impressionn that the ISA bus was fast enough,
but maybe I'm wrong).

The serial port is far too slow to use the main CPU for its DSP stuff.... so
if you get an external you are guaranteed 100% to be a hardware modem.  Not
only that, as long as Linux (or any OS) can see your serial port, they can
use the modem.

Its also a heck of a lot easier to setup an external modem.  You just say
"COM1 or COM2" (or /dev/ttyS0) and it works.  No IRQs, no mem adddress...

-James

Post by Johan Kullsta » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:08:49

> Whats the advantage of external over internal??

1) easiest to setup.  the two basic serial ports have well defined and
   consistent irq and ioport settings.

2) works with _ANY_ computer -- or even less than a computer such as a
   dec vt220 terminal.

3) no openning your case

4) can easily be moved to new computer

5) not a winmodem

6) you can cycle power on the external modem (in case it gets
   confused/unresponsive) without disturbing your host.

and finally...

  DAS BLINKENLIGHTS!!!

blinkenlights are a great help in troubleshooting and give you warm
fuzzies during a download.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

Don't Fear the Penguin!

Post by Joe Pfeiffe » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:44:35

> If you buy an external it has to be a hardware modem.

> Only an internal can be a software modem since its sitting on the system's
> bus (of course I was under the impressionn that the ISA bus was fast enough,
> but maybe I'm wrong).

> The serial port is far too slow to use the main CPU for its DSP stuff.... so
> if you get an external you are guaranteed 100% to be a hardware modem.  Not
> only that, as long as Linux (or any OS) can see your serial port, they can
> use the modem.

This is true.

Quote:> Its also a heck of a lot easier to setup an external modem.  You just say
> "COM1 or COM2" (or /dev/ttyS0) and it works.  No IRQs, no mem adddress...

This is simply not true.  Setting up an internal ``real'' modem is
just like setting up a serial port; if you've got any sort of
interests that use up serial ports (my Palmpilot, downloads to an HC11
miniboard, a Radio Shack ProbeScope...) you're not going to want to
give away any serial ports you don't absolutely have to.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

Post by mic.. » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:46:08

> Whats the advantage of external over internal??

One of HUGE advantages of external modems is that if a modem hangs (not
that infrequent event with noisy analog lines, to which modems are
connected by function, and with bugs in their firmware) then it is much
easier to cycle power on a modem than to reboot the whole machine in
order to reset that modem.

It is likely not a very big deal with Windows, as you probably will be
rebooting soon anyway, and you really do not know if this a modem which
went belly-up or something else, but this is quite different story with
Linux.

And on the top of it with an external you have blinkenlights. 1/2 :-)

  Michal

Post by Joe Pfeiffe » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:26:23

> One of HUGE advantages of external modems is that if a modem hangs (not
> that infrequent event with noisy analog lines, to which modems are
> connected by function, and with bugs in their firmware) then it is much
> easier to cycle power on a modem than to reboot the whole machine in
> order to reset that modem.

Not a phenomenon I've *ever* noticed.

Quote:

> And on the top of it with an external you have blinkenlights. 1/2 :-)

This one is *very* true.  I've wondered for a long time why no
internal modem comes with a 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" panel and a cable so I
can have the lights...  I'd sure pay an extra $5.00 or so for it.
--

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:15:43

>> One of HUGE advantages of external modems is that if a modem hangs (not
>> that infrequent event with noisy analog lines, to which modems are
>> connected by function, and with bugs in their firmware) then it is much
>> easier to cycle power on a modem than to reboot the whole machine in
>> order to reset that modem.
> Not a phenomenon I've *ever* noticed.

My USR sportster does it for no reason. Working one day, no toucheee,
and not working the next. It talks back fine through minicom. Just won't
dial or pick up. It's about 3 weeks between such events.

Of course, turning it off and on again fixes it. An at&f1 and variants
does nothing for it.

My diamond supra 56 does it too, much more regularly. Every week or so.

Quote:>> And on the top of it with an external you have blinkenlights. 1/2 :-)
> This one is *very* true.  I've wondered for a long time why no
> internal modem comes with a 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" panel and a cable so I
> can have the lights...  I'd sure pay an extra $5.00 or so for it.

You can probably do it yourself, off the top of my head, since the
modem cards are the same between internal and external versions. It's
just the mounting that's different. It might be wrth looking inside to
see if there are two-prong hooks for the leds.

Peter

1. Q: How to replace a PCI modem with an ISA modem on a compaq prosignia?

Hi,

I've just discovered that my Compaq desktop PC I bought this year
is sabotaged with a Rockwell HTP winmodem which on the PCI bus.
Bummer, apparently I will not be able to get this modem to work
with linux.

It would be great if someone with some experience at installing modems
in generic desktop pcs would help me by answering the following question
before I take this computer apart. 'm wondering if it's likely or not that
a regular compaq prosignia desktop purchased new in january 1999 for
$1000 will have the ISA slot I need for an ISA bus modem, which
apparently is what I need. My plan is to put in an ISA modem and
just remove the PCI modem. Has this worked for others? Are there any
caveats I should be aware of besides making sure the replacement modem
is ISA?

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Until September 10:
Charlie Zender      Voice: (303) 497-1445, FAX: 497-1400

P.O. Box 3000         URL: http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/zender

After September 10:

Earth System Science 216 PSRF, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-3100

2. Whats a .taz file?

3. PCI modem, internal pci modem question

4. MTU = 1500 problems

5. sm56 isa or rockwell hcf pci modems and linux

6. "static declaration for `function' follows non-static"????

7. ISA versus PCI Modems

8. ANNOUNCE: Freedom Desktop 1.5

9. Modem PCI - ISA ? help!

10. No ISA Duron :-( shopping for compatible PCI modem.

11. I am looking for a new PCI modem that would be recognized by Linux

12. soundblaster PCI 128 support and an older ISA v.90 modem troubles....

13. Modem Driver: Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5791