backpack cdrw

Post by john van trig » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:22:37

New to Linux: How does one install a MocroSolutions Backpack parallel
port cdrw on a machine running Mandrake Linux 9.0. The Model is 190130
Series 6 Driver. Since I am completely new and so far am overcome by the
mass of info that I can't seem to be able to sort through it, I could
use step by step instructions. I an desperate!

backpack cdrw

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:14:13

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:22:37 -0400, john van trigt staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> New to Linux: How does one install a MocroSolutions Backpack parallel
> port cdrw on a machine running Mandrake Linux 9.0. The Model is 190130
> Series 6 Driver. Since I am completely new and so far am overcome by
> the mass of info that I can't seem to be able to sort through it, I
> could use step by step instructions. I an desperate!

modprobe parport     (parallel port module)
modprobe parport_pc  (x86 parallel port support)
modprobe lp          (printer support, necessary for most parports)
modprobe paride      (parallel IDE device support
modprobe bpck6       (Backpack Series 6 protocol driver)
modprobe pcd         (parport CD-ROM devices)
modprobe pg          (parport generic devices)

After all those commands have been executed, you should be able to pop a
CD into the parport drive, then "mount /dev/pcd0 /mnt/somewhere" and see
the files on the CD under /mnt/somewhere.  To write to the device, you'd
tell cdrecord (or a cdrecord frontend like XCDRoast) that the device to
write to is /dev/pg0 .  HTH, if you can't get it to work, post error
messages here.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

backpack cdrw

Post by john van trig » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:27:44

> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:22:37 -0400, john van trigt staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:

>>New to Linux: How does one install a MocroSolutions Backpack parallel
>>port cdrw on a machine running Mandrake Linux 9.0. The Model is 190130
>>Series 6 Driver. Since I am completely new and so far am overcome by
>>the mass of info that I can't seem to be able to sort through it, I
>>could use step by step instructions. I an desperate!

> modprobe parport     (parallel port module)
> modprobe parport_pc  (x86 parallel port support)
> modprobe lp          (printer support, necessary for most parports)
> modprobe paride      (parallel IDE device support
> modprobe bpck6       (Backpack Series 6 protocol driver)
> modprobe pcd         (parport CD-ROM devices)
> modprobe pg          (parport generic devices)

> After all those commands have been executed, you should be able to pop a
> CD into the parport drive, then "mount /dev/pcd0 /mnt/somewhere" and see
> the files on the CD under /mnt/somewhere.  To write to the device, you'd
> tell cdrecord (or a cdrecord frontend like XCDRoast) that the device to
> write to is /dev/pg0 .  HTH, if you can't get it to work, post error
> messages here.

Everything seemed to go ok untill the very last instruction "mount
/dev/pcd0 /mnt/somewhere"  I named "somewhere cdrw" The Erro message
that I get is " Mount: special device /dev/pcd0 does not exist"

John

backpack cdrw

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:01:16

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:27:44 -0400, john van trigt staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

>> modprobe parport     (parallel port module)
>> modprobe parport_pc  (x86 parallel port support)
>> modprobe lp          (printer support, necessary for most parports)
>> modprobe paride      (parallel IDE device support
>> modprobe bpck6       (Backpack Series 6 protocol driver)
>> modprobe pcd         (parport CD-ROM devices)
>> modprobe pg          (parport generic devices)

>> After all those commands have been executed, you should be able to
>> pop a CD into the parport drive, then "mount /dev/pcd0
>> /mnt/somewhere" and see the files on the CD under /mnt/somewhere.  To
>> write to the device, you'd tell cdrecord (or a cdrecord frontend like
>> XCDRoast) that the device to write to is /dev/pg0 .  HTH, if you
>> can't get it to work, post error messages here.

> Everything seemed to go ok untill the very last instruction "mount
> /dev/pcd0 /mnt/somewhere"  I named "somewhere cdrw" The Erro message
> that I get is " Mount: special device /dev/pcd0 does not exist"

That could mean a number of things.  Error messages at the command line
are usually too brief.  To get more information, enter "dmesg | tail
-30" after you get that error.  Check to make sure that "ls -l
/dev/pcd0" gives you something like this:

brw-rw----    1 root     disk      46,   0 Mar 23  2002 /dev/pcd0

/dev/pcd0 should be a block special device with major 46 and minor 0.
Unless you're using devfs, which you probably aren't since you didn't
mention Mandrake or Gentoo.  The CD-RW must be plugged in and turned on.
After you've modprobed bpck6, dmesg should say something like "bpck6
driver... found 1 device FOOBAR-CD-RW on 2:3:4", or if it doesn't say
that, it'll produce an error message that should point the way to
something useful.

Post by john van trig » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:57:49

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:27:44 -0400, john van trigt staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:

>>>modprobe parport     (parallel port module)
>>>modprobe parport_pc  (x86 parallel port support)
>>>modprobe lp          (printer support, necessary for most parports)
>>>modprobe paride      (parallel IDE device support
>>>modprobe bpck6       (Backpack Series 6 protocol driver)
>>>modprobe pcd         (parport CD-ROM devices)
>>>modprobe pg          (parport generic devices)

>>>After all those commands have been executed, you should be able to
>>>pop a CD into the parport drive, then "mount /dev/pcd0
>>>/mnt/somewhere" and see the files on the CD under /mnt/somewhere.  To
>>>write to the device, you'd tell cdrecord (or a cdrecord frontend like
>>>XCDRoast) that the device to write to is /dev/pg0 .  HTH, if you
>>>can't get it to work, post error messages here.

>>Everything seemed to go ok untill the very last instruction "mount
>>/dev/pcd0 /mnt/somewhere"  I named "somewhere cdrw" The Erro message
>>that I get is " Mount: special device /dev/pcd0 does not exist"

> That could mean a number of things.  Error messages at the command line
> are usually too brief.  To get more information, enter "dmesg | tail
> -30" after you get that error.  Check to make sure that "ls -l
> /dev/pcd0" gives you something like this:

> brw-rw----    1 root     disk      46,   0 Mar 23  2002 /dev/pcd0

> /dev/pcd0 should be a block special device with major 46 and minor 0.
> Unless you're using devfs, which you probably aren't since you didn't
> mention Mandrake or Gentoo.  The CD-RW must be plugged in and turned on.
> After you've modprobed bpck6, dmesg should say something like "bpck6
> driver... found 1 device FOOBAR-CD-RW on 2:3:4", or if it doesn't say
> that, it'll produce an error message that should point the way to
> something useful.

Looking at dmesg it looks like it found drivers and there is a list of
tasks it performed. However ls -1 /dev/pcd0 only gave me another error
of /dev/pcd0 no such file or directory. I am using Mandrake 9.0.And the
only meaningful message is no such file or directory as /dev/pcd0.

john

backpack cdrw

Post by Bruce Burhan » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:40:02

> >>Everything seemed to go ok untill the very last instruction "mount
> >>/dev/pcd0 /mnt/somewhere"  I named "somewhere cdrw" The Erro message
> >>that I get is " Mount: special device /dev/pcd0 does not exist"

> > That could mean a number of things.  Error messages at the command line
> > are usually too brief.  To get more information, enter "dmesg | tail
> > -30" after you get that error.  Check to make sure that "ls -l
> > /dev/pcd0" gives you something like this:

> > brw-rw----    1 root     disk      46,   0 Mar 23  2002 /dev/pcd0

> > /dev/pcd0 should be a block special device with major 46 and minor 0.
> > Unless you're using devfs, which you probably aren't since you didn't
> > mention Mandrake or Gentoo.  The CD-RW must be plugged in and turned on.
> > After you've modprobed bpck6, dmesg should say something like "bpck6
> > driver... found 1 device FOOBAR-CD-RW on 2:3:4", or if it doesn't say
> > that, it'll produce an error message that should point the way to
> > something useful.

> Looking at dmesg it looks like it found drivers and there is a list of
> tasks it performed. However ls -1 /dev/pcd0 only gave me another error
> of /dev/pcd0 no such file or directory. I am using Mandrake 9.0.And the
> only meaningful message is no such file or directory as /dev/pcd0.

> john

As  DWC  hinted,  the device will have another
name under the new devfs  which apparently
mandrake uses.

I'd  google/linux  devfs or check for the right name
in your distro's docs.  Maybe  in kernel-source/Documentation/devices.txt.

Or perhaps  man or info  devfs.

Try  locate devfs for the exact location of relevant
docs in  /usr.

(IF  you've been running updatedb manually or
automatically as root......)

Then when you find the right name,  do

ls -l   /dev |  grep  'whatever'

If it really isn't there, you will have to create it
with (most easily) the script   MAKEDEV  at
the top of the /dev directory.

As root,  from /dev,  do

./MAKEDEV   devicename.

This is a good thread and good luck to you.

Bruce<+>

Quote: