Need help: problem with Exabyte tape-drive

Need help: problem with Exabyte tape-drive

Post by Ben Lippo » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a problem with a Exabyte tapedrive. The drive is a 10 Gb 8mm
SCSI-drive. On the case I find the following names: Rexon, VT-10GBX
and Cheetah. During boot Linux (v1.3.17) finds the drive

    scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
    scsi : 1 host.
      Vendor: EXABYTE   Model: EXB-85058SQANXR1  Rev: 06M0
      Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

I have an Adaptec 1542C with three other devices (IDs 4, 5 and 6).

I do have a device /dev/st0:
    # ls -l /dev/st0
    crw-r-----   1 root     floppy     9,   0 Aug  2  1993 /dev/st0

But when I try to write something to the drive I get the following
error message:
    # dd if=zvmlinux of=/dev/st0 bs=32k
    st0: Error 27070000.
    dd: /dev/st0: I/O error
    2+0 records in
    1+0 records out

I tried two (new) tapes and got the same message.

When I tried a few "mt" commands (like "mt -f /dev/st0 rewind (or offline)"
the drive responded normally, so I think the hardware is OK.

The guy who sold me this drive said something about accessing the
drive in two different ways; as a 8500 (SCSI-2?) or as a 8200 (SCSI-1?)
and the one would be very much faster than the other [but he probably
didn't understand it very well].

Anyway, my questions are:
- Can I use this drive under Linux? How?
- What about different ways of accessing this drive (8500 vs 8200)?
- How do I tell Linux what format to use?
- Anyone knows what "Error 2707000" means?

Thanks for info.

Ben Lippolt

1. Need help setting up Exabyte TR-4 tape Drive

Hello:  I am realitively new to Linux so be patient.  I have everything
setupnad running properly except for my TR-4 tape drive.  It is an
Exabyte drive (ATAPI) and has functioned flawlessly under Win98.  I want
to set it up now under Linux (RH 6.0).  Need help in easy to follow
steps (so my mind does not melt).

Chris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. anomymous FTP by default. HOW ??

3. need help with exabyte 8505 tape drive

4. RAGE 128, X & a newbee please help !!!!

5. SUMMARY: 5G Exabyte drives with non-Exabyte tapes

6. Which PC to buy in uk to run linux ?

7. SUMMARY: 5G Exabyte drives w/ non-Exabyte tapes

8. Help- Dial-up PPP Server

9. 5G Exabyte drives with non-Exabyte tapes

10. Can the Risc-6000 8mm tape drive read Exabyte tapes?

11. Help on install Exabyte 8mm tape drive

12. Help with backspacing on Exabyte tape drive

13. Help with Exabyte 8505XL SCSI tape drive...