USR 56K external won't connect under Linux :(

USR 56K external won't connect under Linux :(

Post by Michael-John Turne » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi all

I am having all sorts of problems trying to get a USR Sportster Voice
33.6 external (upgraded to X2) to work with a RH 5.0 box.  The modem
is connected to COM2, IRQ 3 and Linux sees the port just fine.  When
I dial out using Minicom (using /dev/cua1), it won't connect at speeds
above 9600bps to two local ISPs (and it only connects when I force
it to use 9,600). When I don't specify 9,600, when the modem connects
it makes 5-6 sounds like it's connecting (the "kerching" sounds) but
then it drops carrier.

As the modem works fine under NT 4.0 on another machine, I have a
feeling that the initialisation string could be wrong.  Does anyone
out there have any ideas on how I can solve this one?

Help!!

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner       |  http://www.edr.uct.ac.za/~mj/

Post by Eric Ewanc » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all

> I am having all sorts of problems trying to get a USR Sportster Voice
> 33.6 external (upgraded to X2) to work with a RH 5.0 box.  The modem
> is connected to COM2, IRQ 3 and Linux sees the port just fine.  When
> I dial out using Minicom (using /dev/cua1), it won't connect at speeds
> above 9600bps to two local ISPs (and it only connects when I force
> it to use 9,600). When I don't specify 9,600, when the modem connects
> it makes 5-6 sounds like it's connecting (the "kerching" sounds) but
> then it drops carrier.

> As the modem works fine under NT 4.0 on another machine, I have a
> feeling that the initialisation string could be wrong.  Does anyone
> out there have any ideas on how I can solve this one?

If I recall, Minicom may not support DTE speeds above 9600.  3Com US Robotics
modems will never connect above the DTE speed (what's the point of connecting
at 33.6k if you can't push more than 9.6k across the serial port?).  Check
your DTE speed in Minicom.

If Minicom is incapable of supporting speeds above 9600, and you have no
alternative communications program (such as Kermit), you may be able to use
a utility called setserial to fake out the baud rate.  Usually this program
is used to reconfigure the kernel so that a baud rate of 38400 configures
the serial port for 115.2k or 230.4k instead, but maybe it has an option
for 9600.

Just in case though that your ultimate goal is to get PPP up and running, but
are stuck at the Minicom level simply for purposes of test it, let me tell you
in advance that PPP doesn't have such problems, and you may be better off
forgoing Minicom and trying PPP immediately.  You may not have this problem.

--

# __   __                    Eric Ewanco

# ---+---           http://www.wp.com/Eric_Ewanco
# NI | KA                Framingham, MA; USA

Post by William McBri » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: If I recall, Minicom may not support DTE speeds above 9600.

No, it goes all the way up (to 38400 or 115200, depending). I don't know
what version the original poster is using, though.

--
William McBrine    | http://www.clark.net/~wmcbrine/

1. External USR 56K x2 won't work but Zoom 14.4 does

First,  let me say that I'm a newbie to Linux.

Problem:  I'm running RH Linux 5.0 (no patches/upgrades) and I can
connect to my ISP just fine using an old external Zoom 14.4/V.32bis
modem.  I configured the modem/PPP connection via X (netcfg) and
everything works okay with a line speed of 56000.  When I attempt to
use my faster modem (non-winmodem), the USR 56K/X2 Sportster Faxmodem,
I cannot get connected....well, it appears that my authentication is
not working.

I have attempted to enable/disable hardware flow control....change the
line speed between 19200 to 115200.....change the init string to
'AT&F', 'AT&F1', 'AT&N0'....and still I can't get this modem to work.

Will this modem work w/Linux?  Have I missed a configuration setting.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance

2. PS2 & SCSI

3. Can't get external USR 56K Faxmodem to work

4. LPD Problems

5. usr 56K external data/fax modem: dial-in problems uder OSF1/v3.2

6. yamaha 724

7. USR Sportster Flash External 56k

8. Adding a second 8mm drive

9. USR x2, 56k external modem

10. modem hangs with 56K USR external on RH5.2 Please help!!

11. external USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro?

12. USR Sportster 56K external modem

13. hylafax+ usr 56k message modem (external)