es1371.o ensoniq sound missing symbol

Post by Vijay Boyapat » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I have a 2.2.14 kernel which is super-ku.

I'm having a problem getting sound to work with an ensoniq card 1371
(which is supported). I compiled the appropriate modules (es1371.o
sound*.o etc) and put them in /lib/modules/2.2.14). I then ran
/usr/sbin/sndconfig

and it saw my card and the drivers fine but complained thusly:

es1371.o: unresolved symbol
synchronize_irq

es1371.o: unresolved symbol
waitqueue_lock

Any idea of how to fix this problem? Do I have to recompile my kernel
again? If so, what is important for those unresolved symbols to become
resolved again?

Any help would be extra ku.

Vij.

would be super-extra ku, cause sometimes it's find it hard to find stuff
in this massive news group!

Post by Marcel Po » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi, I have a 2.2.14 kernel which is super-ku.

> I'm having a problem getting sound to work with an ensoniq card 1371
> (which is supported). I compiled the appropriate modules (es1371.o
> sound*.o etc) and put them in /lib/modules/2.2.14). I then ran
> /usr/sbin/sndconfig

> and it saw my card and the drivers fine but complained thusly:

> es1371.o: unresolved symbol
> synchronize_irq

> es1371.o: unresolved symbol
> waitqueue_lock

> Any idea of how to fix this problem? Do I have to recompile my kernel
> again? If so, what is important for those unresolved symbols to become
> resolved again?

> Any help would be extra ku.

It works fine here with a 2.2.13 kernel.
At default it would use the same irq (11) as my videocard, but my BIOS
sets it to 10.
My kernel is compiled so that it reads Bios and ues that settings.

Maybe it's good to check the setup under General Setup.
Mine is like this;
any  PCI acces mode
n    Use PCI irq routing bla bla
y    PCI quirks
n    PCI bridge optimization
y    backward compatible /proc/pci

Maybe it's in here?

******************           __   _
/   Marcel Pol   /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
/                /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /

******************
SuSE 6.3  Kernel 2.2.13
Don't visit http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/marcelpol

This sig is stolen.
But it was released under GNU, wasn't it?

1. No sound from Ensoniq es1371 sound card

Having trouble configuring an Ensoniq es1371 on RH 6.0 linux-2.2.5-15?
I have recompiled my kernel several times in an attempt to get the card
working with my system.  It appears that the card loads regardless of
whether I link it directly to the kernel or compile it as a module.
IRQ=11 and io=0x1080.  These are the same parameters used by win98 which
I have dual booted on my system.  The card works fine under win98, and I
hear that it will work just as well with Linux but I'm not there yet.
I've used sndconfig which sees the card but I get no audible sound when
it tests it.  I've tried selecting es1370 as well as some of the
soundblaster modules just for kicks and that action either crashes the
sndconfig program or simply has no effect.  I've also tried using
"modprobe -k es1371" to no avail.  The system takes the command just
fine but I still get nothing when I run an audio cd.  /etc/conf.modules
seems to be set up appropriately for es1371.  I've checked
/var/logs/messages and get indications that all is ok regarding loading
sound there.  Speakers are turned on and plugged in just as they are for
win98.  One thing that troubles me is although I'm not seeing much in
the way of errors being reported, when I try and cat /dev/sndstat I get
"no such device" or something like that.  I also don't seem to have the
lspci command as root. Nothing in whereis and didn't show up using find.

I've got a PIII 500 and a Toshiba 6x DVD drive.  Question: if the card
seems to load and the cdrom program appears to work but I get no sound
either from it or from the sound files used by the sndconfig command,
could it be that the problem lies elsewhere?  Are there device drivers
for either my speakers or the DVD/cdrom drive that are perhaps a little
out of the ordinary but required especially for my ensoniq 1371 card?
I've read some things that seem to suggest that a special cdrom driver
is needed that will interface with SoundBlaster cards.  If it's not used
the card won't play.  I don't know if that case applies here or not.  I
understand that Ensoniq somehow or another is closely related to
SoundBlaster.  It gives me the idea that although my cdrom is working it
may not be producing output the sound card can use.  Maybe there's an
issue like that with my speakers too???  I don't know and neither does
RH support.  Help please if you know.  I'll post the solution when I get
one.

Thanks,
pjg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. strcpy problem

3. Installing RH 5.0

4. Looking for Solaris 2.4

5. Sound card problem: Ensoniq ES1371 audio PCI-97 chip set

6. timers

7. Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 sound card problem

8. Missing interrupts from es1371 sound card

9. (long) DTV2000 - bttv / Creative Ensoniq - ES1371

10. Ensoniq AudioPCI97 (ES1371)

11. Ensoniq ES1371 Installation