Can Linux exceed hardware limits for HD size?

Can Linux exceed hardware limits for HD size?

Post by Thom » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:22:42

Hi!

I just bougt a 180GB hard disk and had to learn - afterwards :-( -
that my mainboard (ASUS A7V-E) only supports hard drives with up to
128GB.

Now a self-appointed expert told me that Linux could exceed this
hardware limit and let me use the whole HD capacity.
I can't imagine how - at least if it's a hardware limit (as I
understand the ASUS-HP) and not a bios limit.

So has anyone an idea if Linux can really solve this problem? Or could
Linux be helpful if it was only a bios-problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Thomas

Post by Steen Suder, priva » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:44:40

> Hi!

> I just bougt a 180GB hard disk and had to learn - afterwards :-( -
> that my mainboard (ASUS A7V-E) only supports hard drives with up to
> 128GB.

> Now a self-appointed expert told me that Linux could exceed this
> hardware limit and let me use the whole HD capacity.
> I can't imagine how - at least if it's a hardware limit (as I
> understand the ASUS-HP) and not a bios limit.

> So has anyone an idea if Linux can really solve this problem? Or could
> Linux be helpful if it was only a bios-problem?

> Thanks in advance for your answers!

Simply attach the drive and boot on a bootcd/rescuecd/floppy/whatever
(perhaps another harddrive) and examine dmesg to verify whether Linux
sees the entire capacity.

Usually Linux will see the entire drive.

I've done this on many systems.
A recognised primary drive and the larger drive as slave/secondary.

--
Mvh. / Best regards,
S* Suder             <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Can Linux exceed hardware limits for HD size?

Post by Skylar Thompso » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:15:04

Quote:> Hi!

> I just bougt a 180GB hard disk and had to learn - afterwards :-( -
> that my mainboard (ASUS A7V-E) only supports hard drives with up to
> 128GB.

> Now a self-appointed expert told me that Linux could exceed this
> hardware limit and let me use the whole HD capacity.
> I can't imagine how - at least if it's a hardware limit (as I
> understand the ASUS-HP) and not a bios limit.

> So has anyone an idea if Linux can really solve this problem? Or could
> Linux be helpful if it was only a bios-problem?

It is only a BIOS problem. The hard drive has a capacity of up to 160GB,
but the motherboard can only see 128GB of that. That's only a concern
during the booting process, because Linux has its own mechanisms of
accessing hard drives, which allows it to access all 160GB.

--

-- http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/