Linux pilot-link problem -- Unable to bind to port

Linux pilot-link problem -- Unable to bind to port

Post by Dave Croa » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Greetings.

Trying to sync with my Pilot in Linux. Installed
pilot-link-0.9.0-8.i386.rpm from my RedHat 6.0 i386 CD. Did a ln
/dev/ttys0 /dev/pilot as instructed.

When I run: pilot-xfer -b /tmp
I get "Unable to bind to port '/dev/pilot'"

Similarly: pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttys0 -b /tmp
gives
"Unable to bind to port '/dev/ttys0'"

Tried doing above as root, no difference. Tried switching to ttyS1, same
deal.

I don't use my serial ports for anything else in Linux so I can't be
certain they  work at all. I do get a ttys0 = IRQ4 etc. message when
booting up so I think they are OK. They certainly work in WinDoze. Is
there any Linux utility out there to verify existence and function of
serial ports?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
Dave Croal

Linux pilot-link problem -- Unable to bind to port

Post by Dave Croa » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Never mind, stupid me. I switched to /dev/cua0 and it worked. Seems
strange, my PCMCIA modem is happy to be called ttys2 yet my external
serial port wants to be cua0 instead of ttys0. What the hell, at least
it works now.

DC

> Greetings.

> Trying to sync with my Pilot in Linux. Installed
> pilot-link-0.9.0-8.i386.rpm from my RedHat 6.0 i386 CD. Did a ln
> /dev/ttys0 /dev/pilot as instructed.

> When I run: pilot-xfer -b /tmp
> I get "Unable to bind to port '/dev/pilot'"

> Similarly: pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttys0 -b /tmp
> gives
> "Unable to bind to port '/dev/ttys0'"

> Tried doing above as root, no difference. Tried switching to ttyS1, same
> deal.

> I don't use my serial ports for anything else in Linux so I can't be
> certain they  work at all. I do get a ttys0 = IRQ4 etc. message when
> booting up so I think they are OK. They certainly work in WinDoze. Is
> there any Linux utility out there to verify existence and function of
> serial ports?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

> Regards,
> Dave Croal

1. Serial port problem (Syncing with pilot-link)

Hello.  I use linux and I'm having trouble syncing my palm pilot
using the pilot-link tools.  It does not appear to be a problem
with the pilot-link tools, but rather it seems that the OS is not
able to open my serial port correctly.

I am using the unstable branch of debian with a custom built
2.2.16 kernel. I'm using pilot-link version 0.9.3.  When I try to
hotsync, this happens:

k7q7:~> pilot-xfer -b .pilot
Unable to bind to port '/dev/pilot'.

The link and the permissions seem to be OK.  When I had windows on this
machine, I synced through COM1.  (My modem is on COM2.)

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 Aug  5 13:57 /dev/pilot -> ttyS0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Feb 22  1999 /dev/ttyS0

The only other thing I know of to check is setserial.

/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

In BeOS I have been successful syncing my pilot on serial1, which was
using the exact same IRQ and I/O Address settings.  I have searched the
web and deja and found nothing.  I have read FAQs but I have covered
all the bases they mention (permissions, links).  I am about to go crazy
as I've had my pilot working on the exact same machine before.  Since then,
I've reinstalled the OS and changed from a palm IIIx to a palm Vx.  Does
anyone have any ideas?  I hope I am merely overlooking something simple.

Thanks.

Reishus

2. Where are the config files for bash???

3. pilot-link port selection

4. Linux Performance Monitoring

5. Using pilot-addresses (part of pilot-link)

6. CD Rewriters and websites

7. Linking Pilot-link libs in gcc

8. Generic incremental backups????

9. pilot-link problems with Palm III on RH 6.1

10. Pilot-Link error when running ./configure

11. How well does pilot-link work

12. pilot-link with usb under Solaris

13. pilot-link question