Epson Stylus Color 400 printer installation

Epson Stylus Color 400 printer installation

Post by Venkatnarayan Harihara » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Is there a driver on Linux for the Epson Stylus Color 400 printer? I
wish to install this printer on my Linux installation.

Thanx
/Venkat

Epson Stylus Color 400 printer installation

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hello,

> Is there a driver on Linux for the Epson Stylus Color 400 printer? I
> wish to install this printer on my Linux installation.

Linux programs generally produce either raw ASCII or PostScript output.
The former will print correctly without modification on the ESC 400.  The
latter requires it be processed by Ghostscript, which has a number of
different printer drivers.  The ESC 400 requires the stcolor driver, which
will work fine at up to 360x360 with no unusual parameters.  For printing
at up to 720x720, you'll need to specify the -dSoftweave parameter, and
for best color, feed it stcolor.ps just before the file you want to print.

You may need to recompile Ghostscript to get the stcolor driver; it's not
included in most binaries of GS 5.x.  One site that does have it compiled
in, in RPM format, is http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon/.  The
version of Ghostscript that comes with most distributions is ancient and
may not work correctly with the ESC 400.

Many distributions (like Red Hat) include some tool to automatically set
up printer queues that filter through Ghostscript.  These can be used to
do the bulk of the setup work.  See your distribution's documentation for
details.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Epson Stylus Color 400 printer installation

Post by Kurt Wa » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Venkatnarayan Hariharan pleaded:
%Hello,
%
%Is there a driver on Linux for the Epson Stylus Color 400 printer? I
%wish to install this printer on my Linux installation.

Although aimed specifically at the ESC 600, I think the stuff below
should also work for the ESC 400.

Kurt

Here are a couple of links that should help you.  I used them,
and my Epson Stylus Color 600 prints like a champ.

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~zdw/uniprint.html
http://www.caldera.com/support/techguide/styluscolor.html

     Get ghostscript 5.10 (the Aladdin version), and make sure
         it has the upp driver.  Precompiled ones ought to, but you
         can compile it yourself if you want.  The following command
         filters PostScript to 720dpi ESC2 which you can feed directly
         to the printer:

There is also an Epson Stylus HOWTO at:
     http://www.eunuchs.org/linux/

A great source for RPMs that already have ESC support is:
http://www.typhoon.dircon.co.uk
-or is it-
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon

Read the README files.

This RPM includes Epson Stylus drivers up to 1440 dpi as well as
several HP drivers not found in the standard Ghostscript
distribution. Some of the HP printers these work on are the HP 500,
500C, 510, 520, 540, 550C, 560C, 670, 690, 820C, 850C, 855C, 870, 890,
1100 and 1600 as well as all PCL-3 printers tested.  There are lots of
docs for these drivers and a man page for the hpdj driver.
This RPM includes all the post release patches up to and including
June 26 1998. This RPM also includes support for True Type fonts. See
the file fonts.txt for instructions.

Some of the included drivers drivers are:

vgalib : vga consoles
lvga256: vga consoles
stcolor: Epson Stylus
uniprint: Epson Stylus Color, Canon BJC 610, HP-Deskjet 550c, NEC

Run "gs -h" to see the full list of drivers. The files devs.mak,
devices.txt and use.txt hold information on the included drivers and
using the program.

Some great instructions for configuring your ESC come from Rod

1) Grab the Ghostscript 5.10 RPMs from http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon/.
   Install them.
2) Edit the /var/spool/lpd/{spoolname}/postscript.cfg file so that the
   GSDEVICE line reads 'GSDEVICE=uniprint' and the EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS line

   720x1440 dpi.
3) If desired, create additional print queues with other names, and
   specify different .upp files in postscript.cfg for different
   resolutions.  Three are supplied for the ESC 600 with Ghostscript 5.10.
4) The color curves in the .upp files for at least some Epson printers are
   off.  I don't recall the details, but if you're dissatisfied with the
   color balance on your color printouts, try swapping the color curves in
   the .upp files (these are the blocks of lines with names like
   '-dupCyanTransfer=' and a bunch of numbers.  I think it's cyan and
   magenta that need to be swapped, but it might be yellow and one of the
   others.  I might also be thinking of the ESC 800's color curves, so
   this may not apply to you, though of course you can still fiddle with
   these curves if you don't like the color balance you get on your
   output.