Problem with ASUS A7V

Post by Allen Holt » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:17:35

Hi,

   This group is one of my last hopes of solving a problem that I'm having
trying to install any type of Linux on my PC.  I've tried Debian, Mandrake,
and more extensively RedHat.  When performing the install, while copying
packages to the disk, I get an error stating that there was an abnormal
termination of the install.  I strongly suspect that the problem might be
with my hardware.  I have the following hardware:

ASUS A7V Motherboard (KT133)
850 MHz AMD Processor
384 MB RAM
1 20GB Maxtor Quantum Fireball Drive
1 40GB Western Digital Drive
  (Both drives are ATA100)
54x CD ROM Drive
Cheap Network Card
Cheap Sound Card
GeForce II Video Card w/ 32MB

I've tried the install with different configurations.  I've done

linux noathlon expert
linux noudma noathlon expert
linux noathlon root="hde" expert
linux expert

and more that I cannot remember.  They all fail in a similar manner.  Mostly
at the end of the copying of the packages but occaisionally at the beginning
of the copying.

I've set the jumpers on the drives to be cable select and also set them with
master and slave.  I've put each drive on a separate controller (the
motherboard has two).

I've tried RedHat and nothing.  I'm about ready to give up... oh... I've
even tried FreeBSD... it fails during the copy.

So... bottom line... I'm getting the feeling that I may have something
misconfigured.  I've turned off shadowing and plug'n'play.  Nothing...

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Allen

P.S.  I've been mainly working with RedHat 7.1... Same thing happens with
7.2.

Problem with ASUS A7V

Post by Yan Seine » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 20:26:05

> Hi,

> I've tried RedHat and nothing.  I'm about ready to give up... oh... I've
> even tried FreeBSD... it fails during the copy.

Nothing?  Surely something happens.  Or does the machine just sit there
with a blank screen?  Even that is something.

That being said, I've had RH 7.2 blow up using the GUI installer.  It
always installs with the text installer.

If you want real answers, post some real info.  Exactly where does it
fail?  How?  Does it make screeching noises?  Spew digital bits over the
screen?  Lock up?  Always fail in the same place or fail in different
places?

Has this machine ever worked with anything?

--Yan

Problem with ASUS A7V

Post by Allen Holt » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:35:52

Quote:> > I've tried RedHat and nothing.  I'm about ready to give up... oh... I've
> > even tried FreeBSD... it fails during the copy.

> Nothing?  Surely something happens.  Or does the machine just sit there
> with a blank screen?  Even that is something.

Sorry, this was a bad explanation.  I was tired.  I tried communicating with
RedHat and never really received any helpful replies.

As far as FreeBSD... I tried installing FreeBSD and it too failed when
copying packages to the disk.

When I am installing RedHat 7.1, the failure always happens while copying
packages to the disk.

Allen

Problem with ASUS A7V

Post by Asfand Yar Qaz » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 02:54:25

>>>I've tried RedHat and nothing.  I'm about ready to give up... oh... I've
>>>even tried FreeBSD... it fails during the copy.

>>Nothing?  Surely something happens.  Or does the machine just sit there
>>with a blank screen?  Even that is something.

> Sorry, this was a bad explanation.  I was tired.  I tried communicating with
> RedHat and never really received any helpful replies.

> As far as FreeBSD... I tried installing FreeBSD and it too failed when
> copying packages to the disk.

> When I am installing RedHat 7.1, the failure always happens while copying
> packages to the disk.

> Allen

I had problems with RedHat 5.1 just like this... it turned out the
CD-ROM drive (or data bus) was corrupting data while it was copying it!

Checking some rpm packages after logging in (I was lucky that the base
system passed through unhurt) gave bad md5 sums.  Re-installing them
from there strangely seemed to work.

Could it be that booting from CD has buggy support in lots of BIOSes?

Problem with ASUS A7V

Post by Shyamal Prasa » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:40:07

    Allen> ASUS A7V Motherboard (KT133) 850 MHz AMD Processor 384 MB
    Allen> RAM 1 20GB Maxtor Quantum Fireball Drive 1 40GB Western
    Allen> Digital Drive (Both drives are ATA100) 54x CD ROM Drive
    Allen> Cheap Network Card Cheap Sound Card GeForce II Video Card
    Allen> w/ 32MB

Did you try turning DMA off. Something like ide0=nodma (I don't
remember the exact arguments) at the LILO prompt? I've heard about
problems with DMA on some VIA chipsets.

Shot in the dark.....

/Shyamal

Problem with ASUS A7V

Post by Shyamal Prasa » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:44:29

    Allen> ASUS A7V Motherboard (KT133) 850 MHz AMD Processor 384 MB
    Allen> RAM 1 20GB Maxtor Quantum Fireball Drive 1 40GB Western
    Allen> Digital Drive (Both drives are ATA100) 54x CD ROM Drive
    Allen> Cheap Network Card Cheap Sound Card GeForce II Video Card
    Allen> w/ 32MB

    Shyamal> Did you try turning DMA off. Something like ide0=nodma (I
    Shyamal> don't remember the exact arguments) at the LILO prompt?
    Shyamal> I've heard about problems with DMA on some VIA chipsets.

    Shyamal> Shot in the dark.....

Yeah, shot in the dark all right. Seems like there is no 'nodma'
option. But read the ide documentation in the kernel for some
hints. Sorry..... but I'm pretty certain you should investigate the
DMA thing if you are running a VIA chipset.

/Shyamal

Problem with ASUS A7V

Post by Shyamal Prasa » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:25:58

    Shyamal> Yeah, shot in the dark all right. Seems like there is no
    Shyamal> 'nodma' option. But read the ide documentation in the
    Shyamal> kernel for some hints. Sorry..... but I'm pretty certain
    Shyamal> you should investigate the DMA thing if you are running a
    Shyamal> VIA chipset.

See http://www.exocore.com/technologies/linux/rhl71dma/

Cheers!
Shyamal

1. Problems with Asus A7V Motherboard

I just upgraded my computer with an Asus A7V Pro Motherboard and an AMD
Duron 700. Now I can't get my PCI network adapter to work under Linux (it
worked just fine with my old motherboard). I tried slackware 7.1 Linux and
Mandrake 7.1 Linux and two different NICs - a Winbound and a Link-Sys. Both
NICs work under Win2k. The error says that the system bios has assigned the
NIC an IRQ of "0". I've even tried manually setting the IRQ for that slot to
some other value, but the error remains the same. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

Coral

2. sed or awk, how can I do this ?

3. Problem with asus a7v and quantum lm ultra ata 66

4. Some 2.5.55 compile problems [rescued]

5. PCI bus problem with ASUS A7V?

6. How to redirect remote X via SLiRP ?

7. Problems installing FreeBSD onto an ASUS A7V ..

8. The mailto command

9. Asus A7V/333 problems

10. ASUS A7V UDMA installation problems

11. Agpgart problems?: G400, DRI, and VIA Apollo KT133 Chipset (Asus A7V mobo)

12. Problems with Yamaha CRW-8824/Asus A7V/RedHat 7.0

13. ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems