486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

Post by Emilio Lope » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a somewhat old laptop (Mitac 4022) with an Intel 486 DX2-66
processor. Since the 486 DX4-100s are really cheap now (BTW, there is
something 486-compatible faster than a DX4-100 out there?), I tought
it would be a nice idea to do an CPU upgrade in my notebook, if it is
at all feasible. From what I could understand in the manual, it seems
to be quite possible to do such upgrade.

I've already seen the chip and it seems to be a "normal" Intel DX2-66.

There are switchers to select the CPU from the following types: SX,
DX, DX2, P23S, P4S, and P24S. As you see, there is no DX3 or DX4, but
I think it's no problem since the settings for DX and DX2 are
identical.

There are also switchers for the CPU-frequency, but just two choices
are available here: 25 and 33 MHz. This is ok, because the DX4-100
operates at 33 MHz, right?

There is also a jumper for selecting between a "S-series CPU" and a
"normal CPU".

The manual has nothing about the CPU voltage, but I hope it's already
cared of in the CPU-type settings.

What are my chances of succeeding in such upgrade, in your opinion?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

--

486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

Post by Jungl » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

If the CPU is in a normal socket then an upgrade should be OK, although you
may have some heat concerns with a faster processor.  The AMD 5x86-133 is
faster than the DX4-100 and is essentially an enhanced 486 (with the same
pinout).

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Robert Bellem » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I have a somewhat old laptop (Mitac 4022) with an Intel 486 DX2-66
>processor. Since the 486 DX4-100s are really cheap now (BTW, there is

[...]

Quote:>The manual has nothing about the CPU voltage, but I hope it's already
>cared of in the CPU-type settings.

I'm afraid it's not.

Quote:>What are my chances of succeeding in such upgrade, in your opinion?

Not good. I have here in front of me the jumper settings for the Mitac
4023(S), which subnotes the settings for the DX4-100 and DX4-75 as
"NOT READY". For the 4023 board it specifically says "5V CPUs only!".
I doubt that the 4022 is much different.

You could try borrowing a DX4-100 with on-board voltage regulator from
someone and see if that works. But I have the feeling the rest of the
motherboard can't handle the timing. And besides; I believe the 486s with
voltage regulators are somewhat thicker than the original processor, so
probably it won't fit anymore! I would be interested to know if you try
though!

By the way; I have a dead Mitac 4023 motherboard. Anyone out there with
a live one lying around that wants to help me out?

-- Rob

--
[] Robert Belleman          X   University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands []

[] tel: (+31) 20 525 75 30  X   Simulation group                         []

486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

Post by h.. » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

On 14 Jul 1997 15:28:48 +0200, Emilio Lopes

>Hi,

>I have a somewhat old laptop (Mitac 4022) with an Intel 486 DX2-66
>processor. Since the 486 DX4-100s are really cheap now (BTW, there is
>something 486-compatible faster than a DX4-100 out there?), I tought
>it would be a nice idea to do an CPU upgrade in my notebook, if it is
>at all feasible. From what I could understand in the manual, it seems
>to be quite possible to do such upgrade.

>I've already seen the chip and it seems to be a "normal" Intel DX2-66.

>There are switchers to select the CPU from the following types: SX,
>DX, DX2, P23S, P4S, and P24S. As you see, there is no DX3 or DX4, but
>I think it's no problem since the settings for DX and DX2 are
>identical.

>There are also switchers for the CPU-frequency, but just two choices
>are available here: 25 and 33 MHz. This is ok, because the DX4-100
>operates at 33 MHz, right?

>There is also a jumper for selecting between a "S-series CPU" and a
>"normal CPU".

>The manual has nothing about the CPU voltage, but I hope it's already
>cared of in the CPU-type settings.

>What are my chances of succeeding in such upgrade, in your opinion?

>Thank you in advance for your answer.

>--

Get the 5x86 133 that they sell for upgrades.  It will work at 5 volts
since it has a built in regulator.  IT is a surface mounted ship on a
little board with pins on the other side of the board.  My friend runs
it with no cooling fans or heat sinks.

486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

Post by Paul Gomersbac » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >--

> Get the 5x86 133 that they sell for upgrades.  It will work at 5 volts
> since it has a built in regulator.  IT is a surface mounted ship on a
> little board with pins on the other side of the board.  My friend runs
> it with no cooling fans or heat sinks.

There is NO regulator in this chip, take a look at the amd site.
http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/5x86/20030a.html

486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

Post by jtur.. » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> >--

>> Get the 5x86 133 that they sell for upgrades.  It will work at 5 volts
>> since it has a built in regulator.  IT is a surface mounted ship on a
>> little board with pins on the other side of the board.  My friend runs
>> it with no cooling fans or heat sinks.

>There is NO regulator in this chip, take a look at the amd site.
>http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/5x86/20030a.html

I think he is talking about the upgrade package sold by Everygreen and
a couple others. They take a standard 5x86 and add a very thin
regulator board to the chip. Fits in a standard 5 volt socket.
Expensive compared to the bare 3.3v AMD cpu, but the only solution for
laptops and all in one designed appliance computers. For a laptop with
a replaceable processor, the Evergreen upgrade may be the only way to
go wihout replacing the whole computer. An you are right, AMD does not
make, sell or support this arrangement, but they do supply the
processor to Evergreen, and they did have a pointer to Evergreens
website on their site.

486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

Post by h.. » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> >--

>> Get the 5x86 133 that they sell for upgrades.  It will work at 5 volts
>> since it has a built in regulator.  IT is a surface mounted ship on a
>> little board with pins on the other side of the board.  My friend runs
>> it with no cooling fans or heat sinks.

>There is NO regulator in this chip, take a look at the amd site.
>http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/5x86/20030a.html

I meant the Evergreen or Kingston 5x86-133's that are aroung $95.

486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

Post by Sven C. Da » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> On 14 Jul 1997 15:28:48 +0200, Emilio Lopes

> >Hi,

> >I have a somewhat old laptop (Mitac 4022) with an Intel 486 DX2-66
> >processor. Since the 486 DX4-100s are really cheap now (BTW, there is
> >something 486-compatible faster than a DX4-100 out there?), I tought
> >it would be a nice idea to do an CPU upgrade in my notebook, if it is
> >at all feasible. From what I could understand in the manual, it seems
> >to be quite possible to do such upgrade.

> >I've already seen the chip and it seems to be a "normal" Intel DX2-66.

> >There are switchers to select the CPU from the following types: SX,
> >DX, DX2, P23S, P4S, and P24S. As you see, there is no DX3 or DX4, but
> >I think it's no problem since the settings for DX and DX2 are
> >identical.

  My old 486 system recognized the 486DX4-133 (after a BIOS  update btw) as a
P24C which I suppose stands for the Pentium overdrive chips aka DX4.

Quote:> >There are also switchers for the CPU-frequency, but just two choices
> >are available here: 25 and 33 MHz. This is ok, because the DX4-100
> >operates at 33 MHz, right?

> >There is also a jumper for selecting between a "S-series CPU" and a
> >"normal CPU".

  As far as I know the S-series are the the ones with power saving features.

Quote:> >The manual has nothing about the CPU voltage, but I hope it's already
> >cared of in the CPU-type settings.

  No, most likely not. But very careful about that.

> >What are my chances of succeeding in such upgrade, in your opinion?

> >Thank you in advance for your answer.

> >--

> Get the 5x86 133 that they sell for upgrades.  It will work at 5 volts
> since it has a built in regulator.  IT is a surface mounted ship on a
> little board with pins on the other side of the board.  My friend runs
> it with no cooling fans or heat sinks.

  My 5x86  133 (aka 486DX4-133) didn't run  very long without cooling. But on
the other side it was  a 3.3V version and  I had to  use a voltage  converter
socket. Therefore one should  make sure when  upgrading a CPU especially in a
laptop, that the new one really fits in (socket + CPU + fan = 2 inch).

Sven
--
LOAD "EMACS",8,1

486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

Post by David Ro » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>You could try borrowing a DX4-100 with on-board voltage regulator from
>someone and see if that works. But I have the feeling the rest of the
>motherboard can't handle the timing.

Timing shouldn't be a problem for the AMD chip; it looks to the
motherboard just like a DX2-66, except the "clock double" signal that
the MB sends to the chip is interpreted as "clock-quadruple".

Do make sure you get the low-temperature ADZ version of the 586-P133.

Quote:> And besides; I believe the 486s with
>voltage regulators are somewhat thicker than the original processor, so
>probably it won't fit anymore!

This *is* a problem; you might check with Gainbery (www.gainbery.com)
to see if one of their kits would work.

- David R.

1. Performance Increase: 486/DX2 66 to 486/DX4 100

I'd like to know what kind of a performance increase I can
expect by swapping my 486/DX2 66 for an AMD 486/DX4 100, and by getting a
motherboard (VLB) with 256K cache (my current board has no external
cache).

        Also, how much of an increase would I get over the above by
putting in a 486/DX5 120?  And how much more would it cost me?

2. CDE and PPP probplem

3. Help: DX2/66 --> DX4/100

4. Tape drive on Ultra 10 anyone?

5. Intel dx2/66 or AMD dx4/100?

6. AIX 3.2.3 Display naming weirdness...

7. Segmentation Faults?? - DX2/66 & DX4/100

8. HELP!!! Default route gets dropped.

9. ASUS 486 PCI SP3G: slow? 11 bogomips w/ dx2-66 AND dx4-100 ?!?

10. 486 DX2-66 Speed?

11. 486/dx2-66 vs P60 vs P66 vs P90 ?

12. Linux hates AMD DX4-100 & ASUS PVI-486 SP3?

13. which distribution will work on old 486 DX2/66