How to connect an Apple LaserWriter printer to my PC box through the parallel port

How to connect an Apple LaserWriter printer to my PC box through the parallel port

Post by Emmanuel Promayo » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am wondering if some of you already get a Apple LaserWriter printer
working directly connected on a PC parallel port.
My printer is an Apple LaserWriter II NTX, my system is RedHat 5.1
(linux 2.0.34).

Could someone tell me if it is somehow possible or if I can put a sock
in it.

Thanks.
Mahnu

PS: I have already post this article in fr.comp.os.linux.configuration
for those who wants to read it in french!

How to connect an Apple LaserWriter printer to my PC box through the parallel port

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am wondering if some of you already get a Apple LaserWriter printer
> working directly connected on a PC parallel port.
> My printer is an Apple LaserWriter II NTX, my system is RedHat 5.1
> (linux 2.0.34).

You can connect it to your serial port with no troubles. Why do you need to
use the parallel port?

miguel

Post by Kevin Qui » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> I am wondering if some of you already get a Apple LaserWriter printer
>> working directly connected on a PC parallel port.
>> My printer is an Apple LaserWriter II NTX, my system is RedHat 5.1
>> (linux 2.0.34).

>You can connect it to your serial port with no troubles. Why do you need to
>use the parallel port?

>miguel

The NTX doesn't support the parallel port. The only option you have with
this model are serial.

Kevin.

1. cable to connect Apple Printer to PC Serial port

Thanks to B. Joshua Rosen for the information you sent me a few months back...
I'm about to start cuttin up cables and soldering them to make the adapter I
need.

However, before I really get down to soldering, and before I connect the printer
and computer, I wonder if somebody has done this before, and can judge whether
this is right or disastrously wrong...

OK, Macintosh pin-out:

     8    7    6
    5 (9) 4  3
       2   1

(9    +5 Volts, only for GeoPort)
8    Rx Data
7    Not Connected
6    Tx Data
5    Rx Data (inverted)
4    Ground (is this "Signal Ground" ?)
3    Tx Data (inverted)
2    CTS
1    DTR
Shell

Does "inverted" mean that this line is the opposite to the corresponding Tx or
Rx line?
By this, I mean that line 3 goes to -5 v when line 6 goes to +5 v?
Can I simply ignore the inverted lines?

PC pin-out:

 1  2  3  4  5
   6  7  8  9

9    Ring (what's that? Modem incoming call?)
8    CTS
7    RTS
6    DSR
5    Signal Ground
4    DTR
3    Tx Data
2    Rx Data
1    DCD
Shell

So, I crossover the Tx Data and Rx Data so the PC Tx line goes to the Pitner's
Rx line, and all other lines get connected "as-is", right?

Meaning,

Mac line <--------------------> PC line
8    Rx Data                 Tx Data    3
6    Tx Data                 Rx Data    2
4    Ground                  Sig Ground 5
2    CTS                     CTS        8
1    DTR                     DTR        4
Shell                               Shell

ignoring the other lines...

--
==
I don't like spammers. So take the warning

2. sbpcd..

3. Connecting a Apple Laserwriter NT to serial port

4. Other fonts in StarOffice 4.0

5. PC terminal thru Parallel port?????

6. kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:02

7. Need help with LaserWriter IINT connected to PC Serial Port

8. Printer Problem

9. How to use printer(LPT1) connected to serial-port-connected-PC

10. parallel port printer and parallel port superdisk

11. Connecting to an AIX box thru serial port

12. Apple LaserWriter on a PC?

13. CUPS for connecting an Apple LaserWriter II NT