Compaq and PCI bus modems

Post by Duncan Sutcliff » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

I notice some Compaq questions recently, so here's mine:

The Compaq 336 VSC modem fitted to Presario 4712s is ROMless.  Windows 95
drivers simulate ROM and a UART for the modem.  Therefore, no Win95=no
modem.  Has anyone found a way around this problem, which I guess would
require a Linux driver for the device.

No version of Linux will even recognise the serial port, setserial doesn't
help (of course), and Compaq tech services are unable to help.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Duncan

Compaq and PCI bus modems

Post by Timothy Lo » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I notice some Compaq questions recently, so here's mine:

>The Compaq 336 VSC modem fitted to Presario 4712s is ROMless.  Windows 95
>drivers simulate ROM and a UART for the modem.  Therefore, no Win95=no
>modem.  Has anyone found a way around this problem, which I guess would
>require a Linux driver for the device.

>No version of Linux will even recognise the serial port, setserial doesn't
>help (of course), and Compaq tech services are unable to help.

>Any suggestions gratefully received.

>Duncan

    All modern Compaq Presarios have this modem.  A ROMless modem is
commonly know as a winmodem.  This means that the modem uses Windows 95
software as a ROM (normally done by software) which slows down the CPU.  In
addition, since the ROM is simulated by Windows 95 software, the modem will
NOT work in Windows NT, OS/2, DOS, Linux, or any other PC Unix clone.  The
modem will ONLY work in Windows 95.  There is NO work around for
winmodems.  They are cheap junk, that Compaq and other OEMs (HP, IBM, etc)
are putting in computers to save manufacturing costs.  This is fraudalent
behavior if you ask me, since none of the computer companies including Compaq
advertises the modem as working in Windows 95 ONLY.  This of course can be
misleading to customers.  Anyway, I helped a friend install Linux on a Compaq
Presario 3060, and removing the winmodem was the only way to fix the problem.
I got him to buy a good USR Sportster 33.6 internal modem (also suggested X2
if he wanted to take the plunge) to replace the Compaq 336-VSC modem.  So,
bottom line: if you want to use a modem under Linux on a new Compaq
Presario, you will have to replace the useless ROMless winmodem with a REAL
modem.  Simple as that.  Sorry I had to break that to you.

  *  Timothy J. Lotz                                                    *
  *                                                                     *
  *  Success can be obtained through hard work; Hard work pays off and  *
  *  helps everybody.                                                   *
  *                                                                     *

  *  World Wide Web: http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tlotz1/                        *
  *  Connected to the Internet using Windows 95 TCP/IP                  *

Compaq and PCI bus modems

Post by Timothy Lo » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I notice some Compaq questions recently, so here's mine:

>The Compaq 336 VSC modem fitted to Presario 4712s is ROMless.  Windows 95
>drivers simulate ROM and a UART for the modem.  Therefore, no Win95=no
>modem.  Has anyone found a way around this problem, which I guess would
>require a Linux driver for the device.

>No version of Linux will even recognise the serial port, setserial doesn't
>help (of course), and Compaq tech services are unable to help.

>Any suggestions gratefully received.

>Duncan

    All modern Compaq Presarios have this modem.  A ROMless modem is
commonly know as a winmodem.  This means that the modem uses Windows 95
software as a ROM (normally done by software) which slows down the CPU.  In
addition, since the ROM is simulated by Windows 95 software, the modem will
NOT work in Windows NT, OS/2, DOS, Linux, or any other PC Unix clone.  The
modem will ONLY work in Windows 95.  There is NO work around for
winmodems.  They are cheap junk, that Compaq and other OEMs (HP, IBM, etc)
are putting in computers to save manufacturing costs.  This is fraudalent
behavior if you ask me, since none of the computer companies including Compaq
advertises the modem as working in Windows 95 ONLY.  This of course can be
misleading to customers.  Anyway, I helped a friend install Linux on a Compaq
Presario 3060, and removing the winmodem was the only way to fix the problem.
I got him to buy a good USR Sportster 33.6 internal modem (also suggested X2
if he wanted to take the plunge) to replace the Compaq 336-VSC modem.  So,
bottom line: if you want to use a modem under Linux on a new Compaq
Presario, you will have to replace the useless ROMless winmodem with a REAL
modem.  Simple as that.  Sorry I had to break that to you.

  *  Timothy J. Lotz                                                    *
  *                                                                     *
  *  Success can be obtained through hard work; Hard work pays off and  *
  *  helps everybody.                                                   *
  *                                                                     *

  *  World Wide Web: http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tlotz1/                        *
  *  Connected to the Internet using Windows 95 TCP/IP                  *

1. Q: How to replace a PCI modem with an ISA modem on a compaq prosignia?

Hi,

I've just discovered that my Compaq desktop PC I bought this year
is sabotaged with a Rockwell HTP winmodem which on the PCI bus.
Bummer, apparently I will not be able to get this modem to work
with linux.

It would be great if someone with some experience at installing modems
in generic desktop pcs would help me by answering the following question
before I take this computer apart. 'm wondering if it's likely or not that
a regular compaq prosignia desktop purchased new in january 1999 for
$1000 will have the ISA slot I need for an ISA bus modem, which
apparently is what I need. My plan is to put in an ISA modem and
just remove the PCI modem. Has this worked for others? Are there any
caveats I should be aware of besides making sure the replacement modem
is ISA?

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Until September 10:
Charlie Zender      Voice: (303) 497-1445, FAX: 497-1400

P.O. Box 3000         URL: http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/zender

After September 10:

Earth System Science 216 PSRF, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-3100

2. Debina Linux + XFree86 help needed....

3. Linux Driver for Compaq PCI Bus Fibre Channel Adapter

4. DOOM for UNIX

5. 32 bits Integrated Fast-SCSI-II controller on PCI local bus (Compaq)

6. login to telnet session as root?

7. Compaq Presario PCI Bus error under Linux (and Win98) -what happened??

8. nfs performance 1MB read=3secs write=22secs

9. OS/2 and linux-support for compaq's "PCI Local Bus Graphic Controller"

10. PCI bus Modems: any hope?

11. PCI bus vs. S-bus

12. VL-Bus Vs. PCI bus

13. PCI modem, internal pci modem question