Q: two video cards ; dual-headed video ; matrox millenium and hercules ; linux ; work in progress

Q: two video cards ; dual-headed video ; matrox millenium and hercules ; linux ; work in progress

Post by Eugene Leit » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I've embarked on a quest (not for the weak of heart) to connect an old 19"
SGI CRT to my MGA Linux box. So far I've soldered the sync fusing circuit,
I've installed the RedHat 4.2 (no update to XFree86 3.3 yet). It works.
Image quality is more than adequate for my needs. Whew.

Trouble is: the system comes in text mode. I'm lucky enough to have a PLL
CRT which doesn't get fried that easily (but still the CRT would probably
die after suffering 1 h text), but I'll be seeing only snow should the
system stuck in text mode.

I haven't figured out how to flash the Millenium in text mode (and I have
the suspicion that it might not be easy). SVGATextMode doesn't help me a
bit if I have to deal with the system before it kicks in.

I went the way of the coward: the Hercules way. The Matrox Millenium has
two switches, one for flash write protection, one for switching off BIOS.
(System will hang otherwise). I switched off the BIOS, and plugged in a
Hercules card*according monitor -- a poor man's dual-headed system.

This approach works great for Lose95: it boots up in text mode, then
jumps to the large screen when doing gfx.

Alas, XFree86 wimps out. It obviously does know the Hercules, but fails to
notice the MGA (lots of "***** deleted" messages). However, I thought
XFree86 can do dual-headed gfx, so there must be a trick to it.

Any ideas?

(Please CC my email address when replying to this message; once the
project is done I'll summarize to the list).

Thanks!

Eugene
 icbmto:N 48 10'07'' E 011 33'53''        http://www.veryComputer.com/~ui22204

1. Q: two video cards ; dual-headed video ; matrox millenium and hercules ; linux ; work in progress

[...]

Hercules card cum according monitor -- a poor man's dual-headed system.

This approach works great for Lose95: it boots up in text mode, then
jumps to the large screen when doing gfx.

Alas, XFree86 wimps out. It obviously does know the Hercules, but fails to
notice the MGA (lots of "***** deleted" messages). However, I thought
XFree86 can do dual-headed gfx, so there must be a trick to it.

Any ideas?

(Please CC my email address when replying to this message; once the
project is done I'll summarize to the list).

Thanks!

Eugene
 icbmto:N 48 10'07'' E 011 33'53''        http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~ui22204

2. BigAdmin Newsletter

3. MATROX Millenium G400 dual head video?

4. Q: Where is the web site for GTK-- ? (the C++ implementation for GTK+)

5. Matrox Dual Head video card w/Redhat

6. Argh!

7. I NEED DRIVER FOR MATROX MILLENIUM VIDEO CARD FOR LINUX

8. HELP: LINUX Installation

9. multiple video cards ; fixed frequency monitor ; Matrox Millenium ; Linux ; X

10. Linux and Matrox Millenium video card...anyone?

11. I NEED DRIVER FOR MATROX MILLENIUM VIDEO CARD FOR LINUX

12. Matrox Millenium Video Card in Linux (Gateway 133 XL)