Multipoint protocol?

Post by Pablo Yagg » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

[ Attached Message ]

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:08:22 -0300
Subject: Multipoint protocol?
Hi,
I build a fast serial port board (sync type) for the isa slot.
Now I have the following configuration, 3 PCs with that kind of boards
on
diferent subnets and a concentrator device that makes possible that all
boards transfer to or recive from the others simultaniusly, this
concetrator acts like a hub, but the devices attached to it doesn't have
MAC addresses.
I want to make a whole net with those PCs, so I could write a linux
driver to use
my boards like a 'cua' device, but what protocol do I have to use or
how, to route the subnets to the whole net?. I can't use PPP because is
a point-to-point protocol.
Do I have to write my own interface driver, like 'eth' ones? if so,
please give me some information about how to do it, because I don't have
any :(.
Thank's,
Pablo Yaggi

Multipoint protocol?

Post by Bartosz Klime » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello, Pablo.

> I build a fast serial port board (sync type) for the isa slot.
> Now I have the following configuration, 3 PCs with that kind of boards
> on
> diferent subnets and a concentrator device that makes possible that all
> boards transfer to or recive from the others simultaniusly, this
> concetrator acts like a hub, but the devices attached to it doesn't have
> MAC addresses.

(...)

I wonder how you want to identify the sender or receiver of the data
without MAC addresses. It looks like a "broadcast-only" network. If you
give IP numbers to your PCs, you will have to translate them to
addresses understandable to the data-link layer. How are you going to do
it?

Best reagards,

--
Bartosz Klimek

Multipoint protocol?

Post by Pablo Yagg » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I wonder how you want to identify the sender or receiver of the data
> without MAC addresses. It looks like a "broadcast-only" network. If
> you
> give IP numbers to your PCs, you will have to translate them to
> addresses understandable to the data-link layer. How are you going to
> do
> it?

I could assign each board a mac address, but in that case I will have to
program
my own interface, the question was if there any way to avoid it, because
I don't
have information about how to do it right now.
Instead of that, I thought if I do a "broadcast-only" network betwen the
3 pc,
and they're working as gateways (ipfwd, etc..), there's no problem on
getting
all the packets to each pc, so in that case the routing will be done at
IP level,
doesn't it?
so the problem if how to stablish a link betwen the networking part of
the kernel
and my board. For example if there were two pc I could stablish a
ppp-link because
in the negotiation only one will send and receive at a time.
I suppouse I could stop the ppp negotioation somehow, but this not nice,
so
the question is if there any other protocol like ppp but not connection
oriented, that could be used with a serial interface.
Regards,
Pablo.

Multipoint protocol?

Post by John S. Giltner, Jr » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

What kind of sync board is it?
What is this "hub" like device you have?

I am new to Linux, however does the board, and Linux,  support X.25 or Frame Relay?
With X.25 or Frame relay you can setup a vitual circut (VC) between each of the computers you want to talk.  You can send IP over X.25 or
Frame Relay.

You make it sound as if you have this working now.  If so, how does you have it setup now.

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Subject: Multipoint protocol?
> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:08:22 -0300

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking

> Hi,
> I build a fast serial port board (sync type) for the isa slot.
> Now I have the following configuration, 3 PCs with that kind of boards
> on
> diferent subnets and a concentrator device that makes possible that all
> boards transfer to or recive from the others simultaniusly, this
> concetrator acts like a hub, but the devices attached to it doesn't have
> MAC addresses.
> I want to make a whole net with those PCs, so I could write a linux
> driver to use
> my boards like a 'cua' device, but what protocol do I have to use or
> how, to route the subnets to the whole net?. I can't use PPP because is
> a point-to-point protocol.
> Do I have to write my own interface driver, like 'eth' ones? if so,
> please give me some information about how to do it, because I don't have
> any :(.
> Thank's,
> Pablo Yaggi

Multipoint protocol?

Post by Christopher R. Thompso » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hello, Pablo.

> > I build a fast serial port board (sync type) for the isa slot.
> > Now I have the following configuration, 3 PCs with that kind of boards
> > on
> > diferent subnets and a concentrator device that makes possible that all
> > boards transfer to or recive from the others simultaniusly, this
> > concetrator acts like a hub, but the devices attached to it doesn't have
> > MAC addresses.
> (...)

> I wonder how you want to identify the sender or receiver of the data
> without MAC addresses. It looks like a "broadcast-only" network. If you
> give IP numbers to your PCs, you will have to translate them to
> addresses understandable to the data-link layer. How are you going to do
> it?

> Best reagards,

Don't we have some sdlc/hdlc 3270 like drivers in the kernel?

> --
> Bartosz Klimek

1. Multipoint protocol?

[...]

2. Any INND/Satellite solutions

3. ISDN + DIAL-IN +MULTIPOINT question

4. Zmodem on Motorola box...

5. SunForum3.2 question wrt. multipoint conferencing

6. Why Bill Gates Bashing?

7. X.25 point-to-multipoint routing

8. Overruns on transmit

9. MultiPoint Connections??

10. Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xc001

11. demuxprotrej: Unrecognized Protocol-Reject for protocol 0x94f1

12. TCP, UDP protocols vs. Unix domain protocols

13. Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol