RH 6.0 does not recognize SCSI tape drive

RH 6.0 does not recognize SCSI tape drive

Post by Brian Hughe » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Everyone,

This is driving me nuts.  I'm running RedHat 6.0 (2.2.5-15).  I just
installed a AdvanSys ASB3940UA SCSI adapter and an HP SureStore DAT24.
The machine can dual boot and all works under Windows NT Workstation
4.0.  I'm sure that I'm just doing something stupid, but the only thing
that dmseg says about SCSI is:

scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.

When I do something like "mt -f /dev/st0 rewind", I'm rewarded with
"/dev/st0: No such device."

I've read the information on the AdvanSys CD, been to their Web site,
same for HP, same for Red Hat all to no avail.  I'm sure that I'm
missing something incredibly stupid, but I would greatly appreciate any
help.

Thanks,
Brian
--

Idaho State University     http://www.isu.edu/~hughbria

Post by William J. Chimia » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi Everyone,

> This is driving me nuts.  I'm running RedHat 6.0 (2.2.5-15).  I just
> installed a AdvanSys ASB3940UA SCSI adapter and an HP SureStore DAT24.
> The machine can dual boot and all works under Windows NT Workstation
> 4.0.  I'm sure that I'm just doing something stupid, but the only thing
> that dmseg says about SCSI is:

> scsi : 0 hosts.
> scsi : detected total.

> When I do something like "mt -f /dev/st0 rewind", I'm rewarded with
> "/dev/st0: No such device."

> I've read the information on the AdvanSys CD, been to their Web site,
> same for HP, same for Red Hat all to no avail.  I'm sure that I'm
> missing something incredibly stupid, but I would greatly appreciate any
> help.

> Thanks,
> Brian
> --

> Idaho State University     http://www.isu.edu/~hughbrial

look at your /etc/conf.modules
you should have something which turns on the advanSys scsi driver

alias scsi_hostadapter advansys

is what mine has and all SCSI stuff works.

--

1. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI TAPE DRIVE AND SCSI TAPE ?

This sounds like an error condition.
No. In all cases the LUN should be "0" since all of the devices that
you have contain imbedded SCSI controllers. The Physical address should be
what each device is strapped as, on the device itself.

You should also run ASPI4DOS and ASPITAPE to get the most out of the
configuration. I have a Wangtek 150 MB tape drive, but I gave up on it - it
is a useless piece of steel and wires. I now use an Archive 2150S.

I hope this helps.

--
---
Michael Burke

Sea Change Corporation
6695 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 5R8
Tel: 416-542-9484  Fax: 416-542-9479
UUCP: ...!uunet!uunet.ca!seachg!burke

2. Getting IoMega ATAPI Internal ZIP Drive to work

3. SCSI Tape Drive Not Recognized - "Termination" Problem?

4. BudTool and DLT LoaderXpress

5. Anonymous FTP access

6. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI CD-ROM SCSI TAPE

7. Problems compiling FWTK

8. RH 6.0 not recognizing RAM > 64M even after lilo.conf edit

9. RH 6.0 does not recognize DFE 530 - TX

10. RH 6.0 + Aiwa TD-8000 (scsi tape) = problems

11. Kickstart on RedHat 6.0 not recognizing SCSI controller