mke2fs /dev/sda4 gives COULDN'T GET A FREE PAGE...

mke2fs /dev/sda4 gives COULDN'T GET A FREE PAGE...

Post by Scott Se » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm creating a monster server (to me anyway) for my old work.
 150mhz PPro (Dual Processor next week)
 64MB RAM
 NCR825 SCSI Controller (using the new driver ported from BSD)
 IBM 9GIG 7200rpm Hard Drive

The SCSI drive's fourth partition is rather large, I think about
7GIG.  The problem is, when I did 'mke2fs /dev/sda4' it started
clicking down the inode tables it got to 935 then said
'Couldn't get a free page...'   It continued, then did it 2 more
times while writing later inode tables.

Is there something seriously wrong that I should know about?
I have limited experience with SCSI sub-systems.

Thanks for any help,
Scott Serr

mke2fs /dev/sda4 gives COULDN'T GET A FREE PAGE...

Post by R. Jeff Morri » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[posted & mailed]

[...]

Quote:>The SCSI drive's fourth partition is rather large, I think about
>7GIG.  The problem is, when I did 'mke2fs /dev/sda4' it started
>clicking down the inode tables it got to 935 then said
>'Couldn't get a free page...'   It continued, then did it 2 more
>times while writing later inode tables.

Supposedly there are some issues with how much memory 'mke2fs' and 'fsck'
want/need when messing around with really large partitions (the "Couldn't
get free page..." message refers to pages of memory).  I say supposedly
'cuz I'm going on memory here.  As I understand it, though, a fix is
in the works (at least in the devel. kernels?).

Quote:>Is there something seriously wrong that I should know about?
>I have limited experience with SCSI sub-systems.

I don't think it's the SCSI-stuff which is the problem, rather than just the
filesystem stuff.  Try making sure that you've got lots o' free (real) memory
when you make or check that partition.

Hope this helps (or at least offers a comforting explanation!),
:)

--
Robert Jeffrey Morriss (Jeff)     CIS Major; Psyc Minor; AI/NLP Research;

http://www.pobox.com/~morriss     #include<std/disclaimer.h>
President DE Alpha Chapter of Upsilon Pi Epsilon http://www.ecl.udel.edu/~upe

1. getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

Hi.

I'm getting a "couldn't get a free page" message when installing.
This message shows on the Alt-F4 screen.
I'm installing RedHat 4.2 from a store-bought RedHat
software package (not bundled with a "regular" book,
just 250 page guide).

The system is a 486-25 with 8MB of RAM and a
730MB Quantum SCSI-2 HDD.  The CDROM drive
is a Mountain CD7 changer (I'm only using disc
tray 1, and it accesses the drive just fine for the
install up to the point where I get the above message).
I switch to Alt-F4 to see this message after the Alt-F1
screen remains stationary for a long period of time.

The SCSI controller is an old clone (Tekram) that has
caching enabled (for some reason, I used to be able
to get into the Tekram configuration on boot-up
by pressing F2 or F6 to enable/disable disk caching
and setup other SCSI parameters, but can't now, so
I'm stuck with caching enabled on the hard disk
device).

I get the error while installing packages during the
initial install.  At first, I selected "Everything" and had
a 95MB swap partition.  Then I tried selecting just
Emacs and NFS and using about a 140MB swap
partition.  Results were the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and
thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cameron

2. mulithoming a G4

3. How to demote an NIS+ root server

4. Solution requested for a 'Couldn't get a free page.....' problem

5. Fasttrack Server / ServerSideIncludes PROBLEMS !!!

6. v1.1.74 -- Kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

7. XGaurd GrandTec Video Capture 4

8. Couldn't get a free page... ?

9. kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

10. Please Help: "Couldn't Get a Free Page" Problem!!!

11. Kernel 1.1.64 - "Couldn't get a free page"

12. Couldn't get a free page.....