How-to mount an usb cdrw drive

Post by Dr. Chandr » Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:40:08

Hi,

I've unsuccessfully atempted to mount a Lacie USB-CDRW on my Debian System
(kernel 2.4.24)

Is there anyone who has some procedure on how to do this ? I'm now
compiling 2.6.4 wich will hopefully resolve this issue somehow.

--
Best Regards,

 Dr. Chandra

How-to mount an usb cdrw drive

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:00:40

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:40:08 GMT, Dr. Chandra staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I've unsuccessfully atempted to mount a Lacie USB-CDRW on my Debian
> System (kernel 2.4.24) Is there anyone who has some procedure on how
> to do this ?

What have you tried?  Go read
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ; this is a simple
problem but if if it were any more complex it'd *really* help to know
the exact series of commands you tried and the exact text of any error
messages you received.

modprobe usb-uhci (or usb-ohci if your machine has an OHCI chipset)
modprobe ehci-hcd (for USB 2.0 support if you have USB 2)
modprobe usb-storage
(plug USB CD-RW in)
mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/somewhere

USB Mass Storage devices are always seen as SCSI devices.  Note that
your /dev/scd0 may be /dev/sr0 ; I'm not sure which standard Debian
adheres to.  You will need to have SCSI support, SCSI CD-ROM support,
and SCSI Generic support (for writing CDs) available; these modules
should always be there and should be automagically loaded when you
attempt to access /dev/scd0 or /dev/sg0 .

If this doesn't work, look at the output from dmesg and see if there are
lines like "Device 0xF00:BAR is not claimed by any active driver" in its
output.  This means your USB device is not in the device listings your
kernel has.  The typical cure is to upgrade the kernel.

Quote:> I'm now compiling 2.6.4 wich will hopefully resolve this issue
> somehow.

No, it won't do anything for you unless you've got the right modules
loaded and you mount the correct device.  The USB chipset modules have
changed names in 2.6.n, they're uhci-hcd and ohci-hcd.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

How-to mount an usb cdrw drive

Post by Dr. Chandr » Sun, 23 May 2004 01:26:27

sorry for this late follow-up and thanks for your time allready.

For now i've got the device registerd with my usb-agent, it is known by
the usb-storage module but then there's trouble. The iomega-usb-hdd is no
longer on /dev/sda1 but is detected and registered twice, furthermore the
lacie-cdrw is detected and visible in /proc/scsi/scsi but there are errors
and this device cannot be mounted.

Quote:> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:40:08 GMT, Dr. Chandra staggered into the Black Sun