I just built a new system with the following specs:
* Asus A7N266-C motherboard (with nForce audio, but not the network or
* Athlon XP 18800+ (1.53GHz) processor
* WD 40GB Hard Drive (about 8 months old)
* 768 MB DDR RAM
I could not get redhat 7.3 to install - I tried 5 or 6 times and each
time it died during installation of the packages with a python error
that said something about "device busy"
I then installed rh 7.2 (no problem) and then was able to install rh 7.3
using the "upgrade" feature.
I've ended up with the following kernel version (from "uname -a"):
Linux titanium.part.net 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:32:41 EDT 2002 i686
And have KDE 3.0 as my desktop.
Every thing seems great -- except one problem... the system seems to
"block" during i/o to my hard drive. It's even a little weirder than
that, here's a description of a common occurance:
In a shell (within Konsole) I use the "gunzip" command to uncompress a
fairly large (60 megabyte) file...
After hitting return, the command runs a 5 or 10 seconds and then gives
me a new shell prompt. During this time, every thing is fine.
Immediately following the command "completing" the entire system blocks
for another 10 seconds (cannot move mouse, or type, or anything) --
interestingly enough the "hard-drive active led" on the computer shows
that the hd is very busy during this time. To make things even weirder,
just a moment before the system "recovers", the CPU usage jumps to 100%
for about half a second or so.
Once the "block" recovers, everything is fine. The system seems
completely usable / stable otherwise.