Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?

Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?

Post by weston » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am having a hard time finding a low cost SCSI scanner. So far, the ones
which I want are either discontinued, or the only SCSI version is for
a Mac. So my question is, can a Mac SCSI scanner work under a PC linux
system? If so, then I will quickly by one.

--Weston

Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?

Post by jed » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I am having a hard time finding a low cost SCSI scanner. So far, the ones
>which I want are either discontinued, or the only SCSI version is for
>a Mac. So my question is, can a Mac SCSI scanner work under a PC linux
>system? If so, then I will quickly by one.

        The real question is : is it on the SANE supported list?

        Very likely, a SCSI flatbed will be.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this invasion in committe."          / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?

Post by weston » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>>Hi,

>>I am having a hard time finding a low cost SCSI scanner. So far, the ones
>>which I want are either discontinued, or the only SCSI version is for
>>a Mac. So my question is, can a Mac SCSI scanner work under a PC linux
>>system? If so, then I will quickly by one.
>    The real question is : is it on the SANE supported list?
>    Very likely, a SCSI flatbed will be.

I am currently interested in the Microtek ScanMaker X6 or E3 plus. Since I
want a SCSI version, they are both Macs. I was told the E3 plus was discontinued
so I am not sure if the E3 plus I see listed on the web is from an outdated list.

--Weston

Quote:>--

Post by Markus Wand » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>I am having a hard time finding a low cost SCSI scanner. So far, the ones
>which I want are either discontinued, or the only SCSI version is for
>a Mac. So my question is, can a Mac SCSI scanner work under a PC linux
>system? If so, then I will quickly by one.

The reason they sell PC and Mac versions of SCSI scanners separately is not
because of the actual scanner, but because of the junk it comes with,
specifically software, manual, cable and (if for a PC) SCSI card.  The
actual scanner itself is likely the same.

In Linux, you're on your own for drivers anyway, and it's assumed you're smart
enough to install a generic SCSI card and find the right cable, so it just
comes down to can you find a driver program for the scanner.  I wasn't too
impressed with SANE 1.0 when I tried it, but I found a very nice standalone
program called "epscan" for my current Epson scanner (had to patch it, mail
me if you need that particular info.)

Markus

Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?

Post by Saa.. » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I found sane 1.0 very cappable and able to support the Nikon CoolScan II
slide scanner that I get to use. Software is really nice and provided
that you have a half decent scsii card (that means not Adaptec) and your
scanner is on the list it should work.

--
Michal Sabala aka Saahbs
 Linux'er since 0.97 :)

http://fly.to/saahbs

Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?

Post by weston » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>In Linux, you're on your own for drivers anyway, and it's assumed you're smart
>enough to install a generic SCSI card and find the right cable, so it just
>comes down to can you find a driver program for the scanner.  I wasn't too
>impressed with SANE 1.0 when I tried it, but I found a very nice standalone
>program called "epscan" for my current Epson scanner (had to patch it, mail
>me if you need that particular info.)

What Epson scanner is it?
Quote:>Markus

Post by Markus Wand » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>>In Linux, you're on your own for drivers anyway, and it's assumed you're smart
>>enough to install a generic SCSI card and find the right cable, so it just
>>comes down to can you find a driver program for the scanner.  I wasn't too
>>impressed with SANE 1.0 when I tried it, but I found a very nice standalone
>>program called "epscan" for my current Epson scanner (had to patch it, mail
>>me if you need that particular info.)

>What Epson scanner is it?

Epson ActionScanner II.  The ID string it returns isn't quite what
epscan expects so you have to hack it ("EPSON   SCANNER..." instead of
"EPSON SCANNER...").  Other than that 100% compatible.

Markus

Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?

Post by Markus Wand » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>I found sane 1.0 very cappable and able to support the Nikon CoolScan II
>slide scanner that I get to use. Software is really nice and provided
>that you have a half decent scsii card (that means not Adaptec) and your
>scanner is on the list it should work.

Not Adaptec?  My Adaptec 1540 is about as compatible with Linux as you can
get, no problems whatsoever with SANE 1.0 or any other application.
What I didn't like about SANE was the very confusing setup and the buggy
xscanimage GUI (real problems trying to resize the window and using the
crop box.)

Markus

Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?

Post by weston » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I did not find anyone selling an ActionScanner II (discontinued?). Anyhow,
I decided to get the Mac version of the ScanMaker X6. As it turns out,
Microtek's webpage even said it can be used on a PC, only I missed it
the first time I read through it. Thank you for responding.

--Weston