Floppies for installing?

Post by Louis Dupre » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Can I get 3 1/2 floppies to install Lenux 5.2? I do not have a CD drive. If
so, where? Thank you?

Louis

Floppies for installing?

Post by Michael Fauro » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: Can I get 3 1/2 floppies to install Lenux 5.2? I do not have a CD drive. If
: so, where? Thank you?

Let's do a little math here . . .

Assuming for the moment that you could get a copy of the RedHat
distribution on 1.44M floppies, let's see how many that would be . . .

The current copy of RedHat v6.0 takes up 561M on the cdrom.

It would require at least this many 1.44M floppy diskettes:

        561M / 1.44M = 390 (diskettes)

Let's assume that each diskette costs about .30c

        390 * .30 = $117

Pretty damned expensive when you figure that you can get a new IDE
CDROM drive for about $30-$50 and a copy of the distribution for as
little $5-$10.  If you look hard enough you could probably even find a
used IDE CDROM drive.  I recently bought a used 16X Toshiba from a
local forsale newsgroup for $15.

 Michael | mfaurot  | BAD CRAZINESS, MAN!!!
 Faurot  | atww.org |

Floppies for installing?

Post by Rick Ridzo » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Here's what to do:
Get a FTP client such as cuteFTP or FTP voyager and go to ftp.redhat.com.
Download the entire I386 directory to your hard disk somewhere (make sure
that you duplicate the directory structure on the FTP site.)  This can take
a very long time as there are about 600Mb worth of stuff to download.  Once
you have downloaded all the files, run autoboot.bat from the /dosutils
subdirectory.  You must be in dos mode for this to work properly.  This
should start the install.  You will be asked to give the partition where the
files you downloaded are located (something like /dev/hda2/i386)
Another easier option: go to www.cheapbytes.com and order the distribution
you want and you should receive your CDs in about a week or so.  I just got
RedHat 6.0 with application archives (4 CDs) for $11. That included shipping
and handling.

Good luck