sata controller?

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:17:39

sata controller?

Post by Davide Bianch » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:01:00

Quote:> is there by any chance someone who uses a SATA controller with linux -

I've been using a Promise Tx2 plus. Besides the problems in installing
(you had to use a special kernel to boot with it) it was no
problem.

Davide

--
You know the sort of thing, they ask you if you've implemented shadow
passwords but don't know their /dev/arse from their /etc/elbow.

sata controller?

Post by Rick Moe » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:22:58

> Hallo folk,

> is there by any chance someone who uses a SATA controller with linux -
> kernel 2.6 (I have a Suse 9.1) and
> can confirm it works?

> I need a simple card, no raid, just to add a couple of disk to a computer of
> mine which is already running the 9.1. My mb is an Asus TUV4X.

> I wen throgh the hw db compatibility at suse's site, but only a couple of
> sata controllers are listed. They are adaptec and their support is
> uncertain... Btw... how came there is such a lack of support regarding sata
> controllers?

Please see my page:  "Serial ATA" on http://www.veryComputer.com/

Looks like the ASUS TUV4X motherboard's "South Bridge" chipset is a VIA
VT82C686B chip.  Or maybe it's one of those ones with a Promise SATA
chip on it?  Maybe you should open up the case, take a look, and post
back here.  If your hard drive is* off a Promise chip, then you
need to use the sata_promise driver.

Anyhow, it's difficult to help you with your driver issue if you don't
tell us what chipset we're talking about.

--
Cheers,     Founding member of the Hyphenation Society, a grassroots-based,
Rick Moen   not-for-profit, locally-owned-and-operated, cooperatively-managed,

1. SIL3112 SATA Controller on Red Hat 8

Dear,

I'd like to install redhat 8 on an Intel Mainboard with a 845 Chipset.
The HD I'm using is a WD Raptor 36GB SATA with PCI Silicon Image SIL3112A
controller.

This configuration works great with RedHat 9 but I can't seem to get it to
work with RedHat 8.
Silicon Image is not giving any drivers for this controller although I think
I need them because the 2.4.18-14 doesn't detect the controller.

I really need RedHat 8 because I use Progress and Progess doesn't support
RedHat 9 :-(

Can someone please help me out ?

Regards,

Dennis

2. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

3. DMA Timeouts with 3112 SATA Controller (status == 0x21)

4. Problems with booting after installation!

5. more than one SATA controller card...?

6. Copy patch for kernel 2.5.38

7. PCI SATA controller for Linux

8. NIS / Linux -> SunOS

9. promise sata controller question

10. poor hdparm performance with Promise SX4 SATA controller and kernel 2.4.28

11. No booting with a Silicon Image 3112 SATA-Controller

12. 16 port useful SATA controller

13. SATA controller killed my boot sequence