recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...

recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...

Post by Matthew Whitwort » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am having a problem getting both RedHat and Caldera OpenLinux to
recognize my Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive.  Caldera's documentation suggests
using the cdu31a driver for the CDU33A drive, but I'm starting to wonder
if I shouldn't just try loading it as an ATAPI IDE drive.

Caldera's documentation also suggests that the only usable base io
addresses for the cdu31a module are 0x320, 0x330, 0x340, 0x360, 0x634,
0x654 and 0x1f88.  However, under DOS/Windows my CDROM drive is using
0x230.  I dug out the old configuration software last night and it
wouldn't even let me set the base io address to anything 0x330 or up.

I was reading the Linux CDROM HowTo document this morning (at
http://www.netlabs.net/~tedski/howto/cdrom.html) and found the following
statement:

"If you recently bought a CD-ROM drive, don't assume that if it connects
to a SoundBlaster card it should use this kernel driver [sbpcd].  Most
CD-ROM drives being sold by Creative Labs are now EIDE/ATAPI drives."

Interestingly, the author doesn't reiterate this in the section
regarding the cdu31a module.

So far, I have not found any documentation explaining if the Sony CDU33A
uses an IDE or a proprietary interface.  If anyone knows the answer to
this or has experiencing configuring this type of drive I'd love to hear
about it.

matthew whitworth           systems analyst

whit's pad       http://scribble.com/~whit/

recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...

Post by Tom Gretto » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Matthew

I am in the process of attempting to install Linux using the Slackware 3.4
release.

I have a Sony CDU-33a connected via my soundblaster.  This was purchased as
part of a Creative Labs multimedia kit.

IRQ 7 is used because IRQ 5 is already occupied by my bus mouse.

In Slackware 3.4 (2.0.30 kernel),  I am using the cdu31a.s kernel (to
accomodate an adaptec controller and scsi hard drive also residing in the
box).  An address of 0x230 and an IRQ of 7 is used for the cd-rom (ie. the
boot option is "cdu31a=0x230,7").  Autoprobe does not appear to find this
combination but using this boot option does find it.

Unfortunately,  this is as far as I have got in the process as VFS mounts
Minix and the machine hangs.... a problem that appears to be related to the
rootdisk on setup.

The best suggestion is to open up the box and verify the CD-Rom connections
(to the soundblaster or the IDE cable) and the SoundBlaster card settings.

Tom

Post by gary schreibe » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: Matthew

: I am in the process of attempting to install Linux using the Slackware 3.4
: release.

: I have a Sony CDU-33a connected via my soundblaster.  This was purchased as
: part of a Creative Labs multimedia kit.

: IRQ 7 is used because IRQ 5 is already occupied by my bus mouse.

Probably a BAD IRQ to use for anything.  By default, IRQ 7 is where
the Parallel port normally goes.  Unless you don't have one, or have
disabled it, I'd move to another IRQ for the drive interface.  Now,
are you SURE that you're talking about the drive interface at IRQ 7,
or are you talking about the SOUND interface...?

: In Slackware 3.4 (2.0.30 kernel),  I am using the cdu31a.s kernel (to
: accomodate an adaptec controller and scsi hard drive also residing in the
: box).  An address of 0x230 and an IRQ of 7 is used for the cd-rom (ie. the
: boot option is "cdu31a=0x230,7").  Autoprobe does not appear to find this
: combination but using this boot option does find it.

: Unfortunately,  this is as far as I have got in the process as VFS mounts
: Minix and the machine hangs.... a problem that appears to be related to the
: rootdisk on setup.

[snip]

Umm, I'd verify that you are NOT doubling up the IRQ
(sound/drive/parallel).  This sounds suspiciously like an IRQ
conflict.

Note: Replace the '*' in my username with an 'e' in order to send
Email.  This is to help reduce SPAM!

recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...

Post by Itai Nahsho » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Sony CDU-33a connected via my soundblaster.  This was purchased as
> part of a Creative Labs multimedia kit.

> IRQ 7 is used because IRQ 5 is already occupied by my bus mouse.

> In Slackware 3.4 (2.0.30 kernel),  I am using the cdu31a.s kernel (to
> accomodate an adaptec controller and scsi hard drive also residing in the
> box).  An address of 0x230 and an IRQ of 7 is used for the cd-rom (ie. the
> boot option is "cdu31a=0x230,7").  Autoprobe does not appear to find this
> combination but using this boot option does find it.

IMHO, the SoundBlaster cdu31a interface is a polling interface (no irq).
The irq
setting on your SB card is just for audio. You should use
"cdu31a=0x230,0".
That might explain the hang.

Some models of the SB may have an irq setting for other proprietary
cdrom interface
but not for the cdu31a.

Itai
--
Itai Nahshon

1. Problems detecting Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive

I am attempting to install the RedHat Linux distribution 5.0 from CD on an old
486DX2/66. The cd-rom is connected to a Creative Labs AWE32 (the really old
one with a proprietary interface).  During installation, I specify
cdu31a=0x230,0.  I have confirmed these to be the correct settings, (the cd
operates correctly under DOS), but the installation program can find no such
device.  Anyone experienced this problem?

2. Bizarre log_tcp occurrence

3. 3rd (and 4th?) IDE?

4. Sony CD-ROM Drive (cdu33a)

5. MESSAGE ERROR ON SOLARIS 2.7 PLEASE HELP

6. Trouble with Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive

7. anonymous ftp and apache web server setup

8. Linux still can't detec Sony cdu33a CD-Rom driver

9. Opti929s sound card & Sony CDU33A Cd-Rom

10. Sony CDU33A CD-ROM install problem

11. HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

12. WTB: Linux Cd-rom for my Sony CDU33a