PS2 mouse and keyboard problems...

Post by Doug Rohre » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello all...

I'll be pretty detailed here since I've seen lots of messages that seem to
suggest these bugs are fixed:

I have a PS2 mouse and keyboard - Dell Dimension XPS D266, 96 megs ram,
8.4 gig HD...

I've been trying to get the mouse to work under any 2.x kernel (tried on
these: 2.0.31, 2.1.71, 2.1.99, 2.1.100). Here's the deal.

When the machine first boots to linux, PS/2 device is detected and driver
installed (I have tried as module or compiled in).

Then, gpm is run from rc.local (or something like that).  Anyway, once I
get to the login prompt - no keyboard input.

However, I can telnet into the machine and kill gpm - all the stuff I
typed at the keyboard shows up now.  Then, I can log in and work ok as
long as I don't try to use the mouse.

Reloading gpm and touching the mouse kills the keyboard again.  Killing
gpm fixes it.

If I try to run X, the system locks hard.

If I hook up this mouse to the serial port, everything is fine.  However,
I need the serial port for other devices (PalmPilot).

The mouse works perfectly under (ugh) win95.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug Rohrer
Systems Manager
HearSaf 2000

1. Problems with a USB keyboard and a PS2 mouse chained to the keyboard

I cannot get my my PS2 Mouse that is chained to my USB keyboard to
work.  The keyboard works fine, but no mouse movement.  Hitting mouse
buttons generates keyboard.c errors, so the I/O is getting thru.

I'm running RedHat Linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.3-12.

I've tried running mouseconfig and set the mouse to be a type of USB.
When this happens, I get XFree errors when I try to start the
X-server.

I get no mouse in console mode either.

How does one configure a chained mouse with a USB keyboard in Linux?

2. MultiProccessor Support?

3. FWD: Re: ps2 mouse remapping keyboard

4. Opera looks damm good!!

5. 2.1.7 -- PS2 mouse/keyboard hangs

6. How to add two numbers

7. 2port KVM Switch Keyboard/Video/Mouse PS2 In USB Out

8. gcc for Tru64 5.x

9. PS2 Mouse and keyboard = lockup :(

10. ps2 mouse remapping keyboard

11. Mouse Problem: PS2 mouse/keyboard. Keyboard hangs when ps2aux read from

12. HELP : PS2 mouse - HP Vectra VL series 3 5/90 mouse wont work.

13. Mouse System PS2 mouse jerky in X