Will winmodems ever be supported??

Post by Michael Crum » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Is there any work in progress to add support for winmodems to linux??

Thanks

Michael

Post by Russ Ros » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Is there any work in progress to add support for winmodems to linux??

> Thanks

> Michael

No.  Winmodems do a lot of the processing using software (Windows
drivers) instead of hardware like normal modems.  They are designed to
be cheap.  Also, none of the manufacturers bother to publish any details
of how to interface with them, so no one can write Linux drivers for
them.  If the details were published, I'm sure someone would write a
driver no matter how much the modems suck, but I'd recommend just
avoiding Winmodems, ever for use under Windows, because they use extra
CPU time.

Post by John Moc » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

    Is there any work in progress to add support for winmodems to linux??

It will be a matter of someone convincing one of the modem manufacturers
to release enough information to do this.  And then later, to get other
manufacturers to follow suit.  Since that's a political/economic issue
and not a technical one, who knows when (or if) this might happen.

Without technical information, LINUX support is not feasible, and so for
all practical purpose, the answer is NO.

So, call them 'LoseModems' and forget about them for a long time, if you
can.
                        -- KD6PAG  (Networking Old-Timer, "F newbie")

1. Winmodems and Linux..will it ever work?

It seems from what little I have read and my own inability to get this
to work...that maybe it will not.  Does anyone know the definitive
answer?  Please help.  I'm trying to get my daughters new computer to
use Linux...not Windows!

I can see that the "system" sees the device (Control
Center/Information/PCI) but I cannot get anywhere with it.  I also
noted it has IRQ5 which is used by the NIC..that doesn't look to
good...is it modify-able??  I am not an expert; but willing to be
dangerous!

Thanks

2. Problem upgrading to Sol2.4 from 2.3 on SS5

3. Has Linux ever supported the COFF binary format ?

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)

5. winmodem or not winmodem ?

6. odd mmdf problem

7. Will sendmsg()/recvmsg() ever be supported in Linux?

8. Netscape 4.05 keeps hanging.

9. Will GCC ever support P5-perhaps 3.0?

10. Will Cirrus BitBlt support ever be fixed?

11. Did AIX V3.2.5 ever support SMP processors?

12. Q:Will Sound Galaxy 16 Washington ever be supported (WSS compatible)?

13. Linux Quake World - Joystick support? now or ever?