Cannot get CD-ROM to be seen by Red Hat 5.2 at install

Cannot get CD-ROM to be seen by Red Hat 5.2 at install

Post by Richard Cook DD » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a Sony CDU-33A CD-ROM which is supposed to be supported during
install.  I have tried to get the set up program from disk to recognize the
CD-ROM but it just has not worked.  I have read the FAQs that said that is
handled the same as CDU-31A but even by entering the CDU-31A as the choice,
the setup still does not recognize it.  Since it is supposed to be covered I
can imagine that there is some one simple thing to do that will fix it but
since I have never installed Linux before....I cannot find it.

BTW the CD-ROM is usable in Windows 98 but not when I boot directly to DOS.
I cannot get the CD to be the boot drive even when the bios places it first.

Thanks for your patients with a new - hopefully - Linux user.  If I can get
the system up.

1. 7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Hi Folks,

I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
 I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
Red Hat.

I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
diskette.

When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
"How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

thanks in advance.

JP Sebastian

2. swap_free: swap-space map bad (entry 00002000)

3. Red Hat 5.2 hangs after CD-ROM is accessed

4. Migrating from DCE 1.0.3 to 1.1

5. Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

6. Can't get X to run on Mach64

7. RH 5.2 cannot mount CD-ROM during install

8. Removing network services -- how?

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. Need help getting Red Hat 5.1 to see my SCSI CD-ROM

11. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

12. How to install Red Hat from PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM?

13. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives