need virtualization power recommendation

need virtualization power recommendation

Post by Todd and Margo Cheste » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 05:32:26

Hi All,

    I am putting together a Linux (CentOS) / Samba server /
iptables firewall and router for a small business (5 Windows
XP clients).

    Problem: Quickbooks 2006 and up uses a bizarre Windows only
database, similar to an SQL server (only slower, buggier,
more memory intensive, and Windows only).

    Solution: use virtualization (Qume or VMware) and run
a virtual instance of Window 2003 server (the cheapest
one I can find).

    Question: ordinarily a dual core (two CPU's) would do
fine for this customer, but with the virtualization,
would it make sense to go four two dual cores (four CPU's)?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

-T

p.s. please do not recommend I * at Intuit.  Been there
(several times), done that (several times), got no joy
(ever).  :'(

need virtualization power recommendation

Post by General Schvantzkop » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 06:15:44

Quote:> Hi All,

>     I am putting together a Linux (CentOS) / Samba server /
> iptables firewall and router for a small business (5 Windows
> XP clients).

>     Problem: Quickbooks 2006 and up uses a bizarre Windows only
> database, similar to an SQL server (only slower, buggier,
> more memory intensive, and Windows only).

>     Solution: use virtualization (Qume or VMware) and run
> a virtual instance of Window 2003 server (the cheapest
> one I can find).

>     Question: ordinarily a dual core (two CPU's) would do
> fine for this customer, but with the virtualization,
> would it make sense to go four two dual cores (four CPU's)?

> Any input will be greatly appreciated!

> -T

> p.s. please do not recommend I * at Intuit.  Been there
> (several times), done that (several times), got no joy
> (ever).  :'(

You don't need a lot of power to run Quickbooks. I've just switched to
Parallels Workstation with Win2K on it. It runs Quickbooks Pro just fine.
The VM doesn't effect the performance of my workstation, which is a single
core 3800+ running FC5. I was using Win4LinPro but it's very buggy and
slow although it was able to handle Quickbooks Pro. The one problem with
Parallels Workstation is that you have to use SAMBA to access Linux
directories. I haven't tried VMWare, it's more mature than Parallels so it
might work better.

1. Low-power device recommendation

 Hi all,
I'm new to embedded scene, and totally lost here. I'm looking to design a
totally stand-alone weather station and need to select a device for this.
Requirements are:

* low power consumption, ability to feed off single voltage (~12V solar
power)
* 2x RS232 ports
* Ethernet (10Mbit will be fine)

* solid-state disk (regular HDDs will consume too much power, and probably
won't work outdoors)
* ability to run "conventional" Linux that I can manage using shell access.
I'll also need to run Python and Perl on the box. Internet connectivity will
be either IPv4 (DHCP, ethernet), or PPP via serial. Having a small MySQL
server would be nice but I can probably live without it - it's probably
going to require too much disk space anyway
* CPU-wise requirements are very low - basically it needs to poll serial
port every second, and send off aggregated data every minute or so
* extremely stable - will need to run unattended for months
* weather-proof(able)
* cheap! This is my personal project!

Any recommendations appreciated!

Peter

2. Install of PCMCIA Netgear NIC Card

3. Device driver: virtualization

4. jdk1.3.1p4_1: java.lang.Process blocks Thread.sleep() and Object.wait()

5. Storedge Virtualization

6. Add validity check the first entry of FAT (2/5)

7. Problem: Device driver virtualization

8. Booting from a diskette

9. Experience Virtualization with VM-Knoppix

10. new virtualization syscall to improve uml performance?

11. 386 self-virtualization (was Re: Topic for discussion - future of WINE)

12. new virtualization syscall to improve uml performance?

13. Server Virtualization Using Trusted Solaris 8