Line-Printer Daemon - PLEASE HELP !

Post by Lab. Optoe » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I have to buy a Laser printer to share in a LAN on which several computers
with different operating systems (os2, solaris, hp-unix, pc-dos) are attached.
All computers communicate via tcp/ip.
Is it possible under Linux control, through LP daemon, who can print on that
printer ? I suppose one can connect the laser printer through the parallel
port, and then start the Line-Printer Daemon.

Can I have more information on this subject ?
Actually I do not know Linux, but I could install it.

The possible  choiches for the printer are:

- HP LaserJet 4MPlus with JetDirect card
- LexMark Optra R+ without ethernet card

P.S. do I really need an ethernet card on the printer ?

Antonio Capobianco

1. Line printer daemon - PLEASE HELP !

Hi,
I have to buy a Laser printer to share in a LAN on which several computers
with different operating systems (os2, solaris, hp-unix, pc-dos) are attached.
All computers communicate via tcp/ip.
Is it possible under Linux control, through LP daemon, who can print on that
printer ? I suppose one can connect the laser printer through the parallel
port, and then start the Line-Printer Daemon.

Can I have more information on this subject ?
Actually I do not know Linux, but I could install it.

The possible  choiches for the printer are:

- HP LaserJet 4MPlus with JetDirect card
- LexMark Optra R+ without ethernet card

P.S. do I really need an ethernet card on the printer ?

Antonio Capobianco

2. Unable to use new network config...

3. Line Printer Daemon Protocol - Help!

4. Problem to compile ipfilter

5. still need printer help please please please

6. PPP demand setup on AIX

7. Problem of Solaris 2.4 printing with Line Printer Daemon

8. Adding a module to the kernel in Red Hat 6.0

9. Remote Line Printer Daemon

10. plp (line printer daemon)

11. line printer daemon (lpd) dies/loses connection on large print

12. RFC 1179 - Line Printer Daemon

13. Line printer daemon for UTS