Debian: hdparm DMA probs

Post by Tim McCo » Sat, 10 May 2003 14:40:56

Running:
Asus A7V333 mobo (VIA KT333)
Debian Woody (2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel)

hdparm tells me that setting dma is not permitted. I've tried all the
options I can think of (hdparm -d1/dev/hdc, -X34, etc...) and it either
returns with "Operation Not Permitted", or it segment faults.

Hmmm... I'm root, and I've used this procedure to get things to work on
RH8.0 before - so I know what to do, but Debs is missing something.

Any help?

Tim

Debian: hdparm DMA probs

Post by Tim McCo » Sat, 10 May 2003 14:42:39

Further, here's the message:
hdparm -d1/dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

> Running:
> Asus A7V333 mobo (VIA KT333)
> Debian Woody (2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel)

> hdparm tells me that setting dma is not permitted. I've tried all the
> options I can think of (hdparm -d1/dev/hdc, -X34, etc...) and it either
> returns with "Operation Not Permitted", or it segment faults.

> Hmmm... I'm root, and I've used this procedure to get things to work on
> RH8.0 before - so I know what to do, but Debs is missing something.

> Any help?

> Tim

Debian: hdparm DMA probs

Post by p.. » Sun, 11 May 2003 05:23:52

>Further, here's the message:
>hdparm -d1/dev/hdc

>/dev/hdc:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> using_dma    =  0 (off)

The kernel probably doesn't know how to setup DMA on that chipset.

Upgrade to a more recent 2.4 kernel perhaps?

(Grabbing a debian kernel image from unstable or testing might be a
possibility)

Phil

Debian: hdparm DMA probs

Post by Jim Chishol » Wed, 14 May 2003 01:41:21

> Further, here's the message:
> hdparm -d1/dev/hdc

> /dev/hdc:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)

>>Running:
>>Asus A7V333 mobo (VIA KT333)
>>Debian Woody (2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel)

>>hdparm tells me that setting dma is not permitted. I've tried all the
>>options I can think of (hdparm -d1/dev/hdc, -X34, etc...) and it either
>>returns with "Operation Not Permitted", or it segment faults.

>>Hmmm... I'm root, and I've used this procedure to get things to work on
>>RH8.0 before - so I know what to do, but Debs is missing something.

>>Any help?

>>Tim

Hi Tim..
Do you have support for your chipset (e.g.VIA82CXXX) built in?
I had no luck with the VIA driver as a module, but hdparm -d1 works fine
when I build it into the kernel.

Jim

Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Deputy Chief, Station 59 Bay Road

1. (u)dma and hdparm question

Hello,

Since hardly anyone answered to my question, I try again...

I have a question about using hdparm to set dma/udma modes.

My system:
M7VKA, Biostar, VIA, kt133, 384 MB RAM

hdparm -i /dev/hda:

Model=SAMSUNG SV4084H, FwRev=PM100-11, SerialNo=0265J1FNA14178
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=34902, SectSize=554, ECCbytes=4
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=426kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 DblWordIO=no, OldPIO=2, DMA=yes, OldDMA=2
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=79730784
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 *mword2
 IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 mode2 mode3 mode4 mode5
 Drive Supports : ATA/ATAPI-4 T13 1153D revision 17 : ATA-1 ATA-2 ATA-3
ATA-4 ATA-5 ATA-6

This is what I get after setting: hdparm -d1 -X34 /dev/hda, so I am
using mword2 dma mode for the disk.

Before, I was using udma mode4, but my system suffered from random
freezing, which are gone now, hopefully (after reducing the transfer
mode)

My question:
Is it safe to use a "normal" dma mode (mword2, for instance) for a disk
that is udma capable and with a BIOS which is set for udma?

My BIOS does only offer udma or non-udma, but no setting for simple dma!

Some people told me that setting -X34 is dangerous, because the
controller is set for udma, while the disk is now set for dma!

I also read the big fat warnings in the hdparm man page.

Is it true that I should NOT set a multiword dma mode, but either use
udma or disable it altogether?

So far, my system runs o.k. with this dma setting (-X34) AND the BIOS
being set for UDMA (I also run windows on the same machine).

Hints? Warnings?
Please reply, thanks.

Sven

2. Yellow Pages/NIS Server for Linux? FAQ?

3. Enabling DMA with hdparm...

4. Modelines for Samsung SyncMaster3 + Savage4

5. (u)dma/hdparm question

6. cpio problem

7. CD-Burners - DMA, hdparm and tweaking... AHH!!!

8. Sprint Paranet

9. hdparm dma problem: SeekComplete Error + BadCRC

10. Setting dma with hdparm in 2.2.0-pre4

11. hdparm -dma setting problem

12. hdparm DMA; also, KDE KFM question

13. Question about hdparm & dma.