Using an Oxford Semiconductor 840 Parport

Using an Oxford Semiconductor 840 Parport

Post by Christofer Dur » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:44:32

Hi,

I hope this question hasn't been asked too often.
I wanted to add a second parallel-port to my print-server. The card works fine under WInXXX but with
Linux the card simply doesn't work. Do you have any tips for me on how to use the card ?

Regards
   Christofer Dutz

Using an Oxford Semiconductor 840 Parport

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:48:07

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:44:32 +0200, Christofer Durz staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:>I hope this question hasn't been asked too often.  I wanted to add a
>second parallel-port to my print-server. The card works fine under
>WInXXX but with Linux the card simply doesn't work. Do you have any
>tips for me on how to use the card ?

More info is needed.  What have you tried?  Is this an ISA or PCI card?
According to the documentation, all you should have to do is this:

modprobe parport
modprobe parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,5
modprobe lp

Conventionally, the first parport lives at 0x378 IRQ 7, while the second
lives at 0x278 IRQ 5.  Those values may be different in your setup, and
if this is a PCI card, you really shouldn't have to enter anything at
all; the port should be autodetected.  What sort of error messages are
you getting?  "/dev/lp1 : device does not exist." or...?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Using an Oxford Semiconductor 840 Parport

Post by Christofer Dut » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 01:48:19

Quote:>On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:44:32 +0200, Christofer Durz staggered into the
>Black Sun and said:
>>I hope this question hasn't been asked too often.  I wanted to add a
>>second parallel-port to my print-server. The card works fine under
>>WInXXX but with Linux the card simply doesn't work. Do you have any
>>tips for me on how to use the card ?

>More info is needed.  What have you tried?  Is this an ISA or PCI card?
>According to the documentation, all you should have to do is this:

>modprobe parport
>modprobe parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,5
>modprobe lp

 It's a PCI Card. I added the output of the /proc/pci :

File: pci               Col 0              948 bytes   [grow]               100%
  Bus  0, device   2, function  0:
    IDE interface: Micron FDC 37C665 (rev 1).
      I/O at 0x1f0 [0x1f7].
      I/O at 0x3f6 [0x3f6].
      I/O at 0x170 [0x177].
      I/O at 0x376 [0x376].
  Bus  0, device   3, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Tseng Labs Inc ET4000/W32p rev C (rev 0).
      IRQ 9.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfd000000 [0xfdffffff].
  Bus  0, device  14, function  0:
    Parallel controller: PCI device 1415:8403 (Oxford Semiconductor Ltd) (rev 0)
.
      IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0xfcd0 [0xfcd7].
      I/O at 0xfcdc [0xfcdf].
      I/O at 0xfce0 [0xfcff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfedff000 [0xfedfffff].

I didn't find any direct error-messages, but when I go to the directory /proc/sys/dev/parport/ I only
get the parport0 entry from the onboard parport.

Tanx in advance
   Christofer Dutz

Quote:>Conventionally, the first parport lives at 0x378 IRQ 7, while the second
>lives at 0x278 IRQ 5.  Those values may be different in your setup, and
>if this is a PCI card, you really shouldn't have to enter anything at
>all; the port should be autodetected.  What sort of error messages are
>you getting?  "/dev/lp1 : device does not exist." or...?

>--
>Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
>Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
>http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
>-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Using an Oxford Semiconductor 840 Parport

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 06:00:30

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 18:48:19 +0200, Christofer Dutz staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

>>On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:44:32 +0200, Christofer Durz staggered into the
>>Black Sun and said:
>>>I hope this question hasn't been asked too often.  I wanted to add a
>>>second parallel-port to my print-server. The card works fine under
>>>WInXXX but with Linux the card simply doesn't work. Do you have any
>>>tips for me on how to use the card ?

>>More info is needed.  What have you tried?  Is this an ISA or PCI card?
>>According to the documentation, all you should have to do is this:

>>modprobe parport
>>modprobe parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,5
>>modprobe lp

> It's a PCI Card. I added the output of the /proc/pci :
>Parallel controller: PCI device 1415:8403 (Oxford Semiconductor Ltd) (rev 0)
>   IRQ 11.
>   I/O at 0xfcd0 [0xfcd7].
>   I/O at 0xfcdc [0xfcdf].
>   I/O at 0xfce0 [0xfcff].
>   Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfedff000 [0xfedfffff].

>I didn't find any direct error-messages, but when I go to the directory
>/proc/sys/dev/parport/ I only get the parport0 entry from the onboard
>parport.

Try this:

rmmod lp ; rmmod parport_pc
modprobe parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7,auto
modprobe lp

...and then see what you find in /proc/sys/dev/parport .

Quote:>Tanx in advance

And footsoldiers following behind?  I've heard of Usenet flame wars, but
*this* is something new to me :-)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Using an Oxford Semiconductor 840 Parport

Post by Christofer Dut » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:14:53

Quote:>> It's a PCI Card. I added the output of the /proc/pci :
>>Parallel controller: PCI device 1415:8403 (Oxford Semiconductor Ltd) (rev 0)
>>   IRQ 11.
>>   I/O at 0xfcd0 [0xfcd7].
>>   I/O at 0xfcdc [0xfcdf].
>>   I/O at 0xfce0 [0xfcff].
>>   Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfedff000 [0xfedfffff].

>>I didn't find any direct error-messages, but when I go to the directory
>>/proc/sys/dev/parport/ I only get the parport0 entry from the onboard
>>parport.

>Try this:

>rmmod lp ; rmmod parport_pc
>modprobe parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7,auto
>modprobe lp

Well it doesn't change anything :(
I think the problem is, that linux doesnt know the PCI Vendor and Produkt IDs for this card
and simply doesn't recognize that there is a parport card in the system.
If you check at
http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/cards.html
You find my card in the "Supptorted with patch" section.
I had a look at the patch code and it confirmed me in my
idea with the missing codes.
My question now is that I dont't know how to patch the
Sources in the right way.

Can you help em with this ?

Regards
   Christofer Dutz

Quote:>...and then see what you find in /proc/sys/dev/parport .

>>Tanx in advance

>And footsoldiers following behind?  I've heard of Usenet flame wars, but
>*this* is something new to me :-)

>--
>Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
>Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
>http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
>-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Using an Oxford Semiconductor 840 Parport

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:11:07

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:14:53 +0200, Christofer Dutz staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:>>> It's a PCI Card. I added the output of the /proc/pci :
>>>Parallel controller: PCI device 1415:8403 (Oxford Semiconductor Ltd) (rev 0)
>Well it doesn't change anything :( I think the problem is, that linux
>doesnt know the PCI Vendor and Produkt IDs for this card and simply
>doesn't recognize that there is a parport card in the system.  If you
>check at

>http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/cards.html

>You find my card in the "Supptorted with patch" section.  I had a look
>at the patch code and it confirmed me in my idea with the missing
>codes.  My question now is that I dont't know how to patch the Sources
>in the right way.

All you should have to do is get the linux-oxpci.patch file, put it
somewhere, then "cd /usr/src ; patch -p0 < /somewhere/linux-oxpci.patch"
, and recompile the parport_pc module.  Hope this comes in time to
help....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

1. PCI-Printerport Oxford-Semiconductors

Hi!

I trying to get additional printer ports running on my linux (2.2.19)
purcased a

        oxford semiconductors OX12PCI840    - PCI

card, but this does not seem to work. even the bios does not say anything
about this in its startup box, only below this "box" when it comes up with
the pci device list it says something like

        Simple COMM. Controller

should the kernel say anything about this controller when it comes to the
pci-probe section?

how can i check if the controller is recognized by the kernel?

it seems that it simply doesn't work at all.

thanks for any ideas!

stoffi

2. Printing from Linux

3. Problem to use a Oxford semiconductor Intelligent DUAL Channe l UA RT (OX16PCI952)

4. Off Brand Panasonic, SB16, and 1.1.54 Linux... Whats the key?

5. COMMERCIAL : Linux for Chemistry cdrom

6. Oxford Semiconductor's OXCB950 UART not recognized by serial.c

7. SoundBlaster 16 SCSI-2

8. Future Domain TMC-840, need help

9. Need help installing Linux on a 840 Mb drive

10. RDRAM + Suse 6.4 + HP XU800 (Intel 840) ?

11. Linux SMP on Supermicro Dual P3 / Intel 840 boards

12. Help Installingg SLS with future Domain 840