Looking for a good tape drive recomendation

Looking for a good tape drive recomendation

Post by Trace Wils » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 3+ GB FDC tape drive.  I am
looking at the Seagate TapeStor 3200, and perhaps an EXABYTE Eagle TR3.

TIA...

Trace Wilson

Looking for a good tape drive recomendation

Post by Trevor Hemsl » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Wilson) writes:

:>
:>Hi all,
:>
:>Was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 3+ GB FDC tape drive.  I am
:>looking at the Seagate TapeStor 3200, and perhaps an EXABYTE Eagle TR3.

Error - "good" and "FDC tape drive" are mutually incompatible keywords.

Please respecify.

<g>

Trevor Hemsley

Looking for a good tape drive recomendation

Post by Mike Engor » Mon, 21 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all,

>Was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 3+ GB FDC tape drive.  I am
>looking at the Seagate TapeStor 3200, and perhaps an EXABYTE Eagle TR3.

>TIA...

>Trace Wilson

Hello Trace,
I just picked up the Eagle TR-3 Travan.  Comp-USA had them at $149 in their
database but $99 on the shelf.  They gave me the $99 with only
very minor hassles, so this was too good to pass up.  4.4GB capacity, as I suppose
you know.  I've been trying it this week with Seagate BU for Windows (included)
and with NovaBack for OS/2 Demo.  Both back up at 7-10MB / min as expected,
and the drive seems to stream very well, very minimal shoeshining on my P100.

As for software, I find the NovaBack kind of crude, so I am looking into either
BackMaster/2, whose tech support answered my question
prompty and said that they would support this unit in their next release,  or
Seagate Backup for OS/2.  Exabyte says the Seagate software will work (as the
Windows version does), but so far Seagate hasn't answered an email, a query at their
Web site, or a CIS query after about a week.  Also, their Web site info implies
that they will release a new version to support Merlin, but they haven't yet
made a policy on upgrading from their existing version.  So this is two strikes
against Seagate unless they fix these things...

Looking for a good tape drive recomendation

Post by Joe Barnha » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>As for software, I find the NovaBack kind of crude, so I am looking into either
>BackMaster/2

I've had limited success with BM2.  I saw that Novastor has both character-
mode and PM versions of their OS/2 software.  I agree the character-mode
version is kinda crude.  I haven't used their PM version, but it ought to be
slicker.

Novastor now offers a CD-ROM with all versions of Novaback for something
like $70.  I'll probably pop for one, just to see how the programs compare with
the others I've got (BackAgain/2, BakupWiz, IBM Dualstor, etc.)

-- Joe B.

P.S.  Most of the programs I mentioned above are for SCSI drives, so they
would not work on your floppy-connected unit.  Although BackAgain/2 now has
support for IDE drives.

Post by bill davids » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

| Was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 3+ GB FDC tape drive.  I am
| looking at the Seagate TapeStor 3200, and perhaps an EXABYTE Eagle TR3.

I'm not sure if you misspelled SCSI as FDC, or inserted an
extraneous "good" adjective in that question.
--

  What do you mean I shouldn't do thing like that at my age?
  At my age if you don't do things like that you might die of natural causes!

Post by R. Keith Heinsoh » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Wilson) writes:
>:>
>:>Hi all,
>:>
>:>Was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 3+ GB FDC tape drive.  I am
>:>looking at the Seagate TapeStor 3200, and perhaps an EXABYTE Eagle TR3.

>Error - "good" and "FDC tape drive" are mutually incompatible keywords.

Er, why?

.....Keith

If, through omission or commission, I have displayed any sexist,
racist, culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, ageist, lookist,
ableist, sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist,
ethnocentrist, phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other type
of bias as yet unnamed, please note that I am very proud of it.

                     <...with apologies to author James F. Garner>

Post by Robert Gle » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>| Was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 3+ GB FDC tape drive.  I am
>| looking at the Seagate TapeStor 3200, and perhaps an EXABYTE Eagle TR3.

>I'm not sure if you misspelled SCSI as FDC, or inserted an
>extraneous "good" adjective in that question.

I bought an Eagle TR-3 a few weeks ago.  I've had a few minor problems with
it:

* mt "retension" command times out on TR-3 cartridge
* haven't figured out how to use compression w/out getting shoeshining yet
* A couple of minor problems with tar that had simple workarounds

For me, none of these justified the extra cost of a SCSI DAT unit.  Hey, I also
like the new stereo I bought and I use it a whole lot more than my computer
tape drive!

The tapes do cost more.  That is not a factor for small amounts of data,
though.  I have an 850 MB hard disk and also plan on using tape for no more
than 3-4 GB of additional archive data.  That requires 3-4 Travan or QIC
cartridges, at ~ $30 a cartridge.

My opinion is that if there is a lot of data to back up or archive, especially
"mission critical" type of stuff, that SCSI tape drives are worth it.  For
the home user, especially one with other money-draining hobbies besides the
Computer, FDC tape drives might be a plenty adequate solution.

                          ___
-Rob Glenn                 __ \
Qualcomm, Inc.                /

Looking for a good tape drive recomendation

Post by Bob McKeeve » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> >:>Hi all,
> >:>
> >:>Was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 3+ GB FDC tape drive.  I
am
> >:>looking at the Seagate TapeStor 3200, and perhaps an EXABYTE Eagle
TR3.

> >Error - "good" and "FDC tape drive" are mutually incompatible keywords.

> Er, why?

> .....Keith

Floppy tape backups are MUCH slower and also load the CPU.

If you are SERIOUS about your drive/tape subsystem use SCSI.

I am VERY happy with my Conner ( now Seagate ) TSM-4000.
Holds 2/4 gigs -- Fast 54 MB/min. -- affordable $ 300 -500.
I believe this tape drive has been replaced with a newer model already.
Used to be available with an IDE interface as well which is still MUCH
better than a FLOPpy interface.

bob

Looking for a good tape drive recomendation

Post by vorce.. » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: > >:>Hi all,
: > >:>
: > >:>Was wondering if anyone could recomend a good 3+ GB FDC tape drive.  I
: am
: > >:>looking at the Seagate TapeStor 3200, and perhaps an EXABYTE Eagle
: TR3.
: > >
: > >Error - "good" and "FDC tape drive" are mutually incompatible keywords.
: >
: > Er, why?
: >
: > .....Keith

: Floppy tape backups are MUCH slower and also load the CPU.

: If you are SERIOUS about your drive/tape subsystem use SCSI.

: I am VERY happy with my Conner ( now Seagate ) TSM-4000.
: Holds 2/4 gigs -- Fast 54 MB/min. -- affordable $ 300 -500.
: I believe this tape drive has been replaced with a newer model already.
: Used to be available with an IDE interface as well which is still MUCH
: better than a FLOPpy interface.

: bob

I have to second Bob.  I also use this tape backup -- it was $329 at Best
Buy.  I backed up 1.2 gigs in about an hour (uncompressed).  the 4gig
(compressed) tapes are about $25-30 (US).  very cheap price for peace of
mind.

Todd K. Vorce