ATX mid & full tower--any difference?

Post by Rick Hawki » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Knowing my own tendency to accumulate parts and keep using them (i still
regularly use my old macportable to dial in), I've decided I want a
large tower case.  But as I read the descriptions, the full and mid
towers both seem to hold about the same number of drives (7 or 8).  So
what is the difference?  what do you get for the extra space and money?

Also, It seems to be easy to find a mid tower with hinged doors, but not
a full tower.  or am I missing something?

Finally, is 230-250W enough, or should I hold out for  $300?

rick
--
R E HAWKINS

These opinions will not be those of ISU until they pay my retainer.

Post by Charles Rote » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Knowing my own tendency to accumulate parts and keep using them (i
> still regularly use my old macportable to dial in), I've decided I
> want a large tower case.  But as I read the descriptions, the full
> and mid towers both seem to hold about the same number of drives (7
> or 8).  So what is the difference?  what do you get for the extra
> space and money?
> Also, It seems to be easy to find a mid tower with hinged doors,
> but not a full tower.  or am I missing something?

                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same thing the rest of us are, friend .. proper ventilation for the
disk(s) in the lower "3 1/2" inch (really 4") bays.

The slimebuckets who design PC cases obviously don't give a curse
about the functionality of the stuff they push into the market .. or
the probable service life of fast SCSI disks that have the misfortune
to be sentenced to the "dungeon".

Best advice (right _now_) that I can give is to make sure your full
tower case has enough room in _front_ of the 3 1/2" bays to install
yet _another_ aftermarket fan.  After "swiss-cheesing" the section of
the steel inner front panel that the folks at Scumbags, Inc. did not
bother to, in front of the upper two 3 1/2" drive bays.  Sigh.

You're gonna need it.

Quote:> Finally, is 230-250W enough, or should I hold out for  $300?

Well, _I_ got a 300 watt supply.  But that may just be my basically
*nature showing.  You know what they say .. "better to have it
and not need it, than to need it and not have it".  :^)

> rick
> --
> R E HAWKINS

> These opinions will not be those of ISU until they pay my retainer.

--

                                 | Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any
Some Linux tools and fixes,      | and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail
The RedHat Linux ppp Checklist,  | sent to this address is subject to
Links to NT ports of standard    | a download and archival fee in the
    GNU/UNIX tools, at           | amount of $500 US.  E-mailing denotes
http://www.veryComputer.com/~croten        | acceptance of these terms.

Post by Rick Hawki » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> Knowing my own tendency to accumulate parts and keep using them (i
>> still regularly use my old macportable to dial in), I've decided I
>> want a large tower case.  But as I read the descriptions, the full
>> and mid towers both seem to hold about the same number of drives (7
>> or 8).  So what is the difference?  what do you get for the extra
>> space and money?
>> Also, It seems to be easy to find a mid tower with hinged doors,
>> but not a full tower.  or am I missing something?
>Same thing the rest of us are, friend .. proper ventilation for the
>disk(s) in the lower "3 1/2" inch (really 4") bays.
>The slimebuckets who design PC cases obviously don't give a curse
>about the functionality of the stuff they push into the market .. or
>the probable service life of fast SCSI disks that have the misfortune
>to be sentenced to the "dungeon".

Ah-HAH!!

I'm in San Diego at the moment. I've found two different full tower ATX
cases with side access panels.  $115 got me one with a 250W (RMS) power
supply.  I'm not sure i can take off side panels without removing the
top, but the board rolls out as well.

rick
--
R E HAWKINS

These opinions will not be those of ISU until they pay my retainer.

ATX mid & full tower--any difference?

Post by Rick Hawki » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> Knowing my own tendency to accumulate parts and keep using them (i
>> still regularly use my old macportable to dial in), I've decided I
>> want a large tower case.  But as I read the descriptions, the full
>> and mid towers both seem to hold about the same number of drives (7
>> or 8).  So what is the difference?  what do you get for the extra
>> space and money?
>> Also, It seems to be easy to find a mid tower with hinged doors,
>> but not a full tower.  or am I missing something?
>Same thing the rest of us are, friend .. proper ventilation for the
>disk(s) in the lower "3 1/2" inch (really 4") bays.
>The slimebuckets who design PC cases obviously don't give a curse
>about the functionality of the stuff they push into the market .. or
>the probable service life of fast SCSI disks that have the misfortune
>to be sentenced to the "dungeon".

Ah-HAH!!

I'm in San Diego at the moment. I've found two different full tower ATX
cases with side access panels.  $115 got me one with a 250W (RMS) power
supply.  I'm not sure i can take off side panels without removing the
top, but the board rolls out as well.  Also, for $7.50 each a couple of
doors down, a pair of .15A fans for extra cooling.

rick
--

Post by Rick Hawki » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>I'm in San Diego at the moment. I've found two different full tower ATX
>cases with side access panels.  $115 got me one with a 250W (RMS) power
>supply.  I'm not sure i can take off side panels without removing the
>top, but the board rolls out as well.  Also, for $7.50 each a couple of
>doors down, a pair of .15A fans for extra cooling.

and it went back in the morning--it had the wrong power supply.  But I
found another one, on which the sides actually remove without releasing
the top piece first.

--
R E HAWKINS

These opinions will not be those of ISU until they pay my retainer.

1. Full ATX Tower

Hi there

go lurk in the newsgroup for homebuilt pc's ... I think it's
alt.hardware.pc's-homebuilt or something like that, I'm in LINUX
now and that newsgroup is in my Agent in Windows. Do a Dejanews
search for building pc's and you should get the newsgroup name up.

see you
Jan

--
reality.sys corrupt; reboot universe [y/n] ?

2. Enlighten me, please!!

3. mid size ATX case?

4. configuring button locations in windows

5. Looking for Alpha motherboards wich fits to ATX/AT tower

6. string + integer variable display?

7. Good looking ATX tower cases. Does it exist?

8. Number 9 I128 card setup...

9. (stupid question on) CDE mouse: moving full-screen window from MID-screen?

10. I need a decent full tower case with 9+ slots to replace inwin A500

11. full tower cases

12. NCR Tower 600 to NCR Tower 800

13. Micro-ATX MB in ATX case/LG CD Rewriter