Linux on a Laptop

Post by Zachary Kirkendal » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I am brand new to linux.  I want to install it on my IBM Thinkpad
760EL.(Dual Windows & Linux--still have programs that I need to use that are
windows only.)  I have the Mandrake 6.5 version here, thought about trying
the Corel linux.
    My question is this, whenever I run the install, I get the error "Unable
to mount CD"   "Invalid argument.   My CD-Rom is an IBM internal for the
laptop.  The CD-Roms actual manufacture number is a TEAC-46.
    Any suggestions????  Also, is the vi editor part of linux or something I
will have to find???

Zach

Linux on a Laptop

Post by Pam » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Hi, I am brand new to linux.  I want to install it on my IBM Thinkpad
>760EL.(Dual Windows & Linux--still have programs that I need to use that are
>windows only.)  I have the Mandrake 6.5 version here, thought about trying
>the Corel linux.
>    My question is this, whenever I run the install, I get the error "Unable
>to mount CD"   "Invalid argument.   My CD-Rom is an IBM internal for the
>laptop.  The CD-Roms actual manufacture number is a TEAC-46.
>    Any suggestions????  Also, is the vi editor part of linux or something I
>will have to find???

It's worth taking a look at
www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop
and
www.snafu.de/~wehe/index_li.html
HTH
Pam

Linux on a Laptop

Post by Harold L. Weave » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Hi, I am brand new to linux.  I want to install it on my IBM Thinkpad
>760EL.(Dual Windows & Linux--still have programs that I need to use that
are
>windows only.)  I have the Mandrake 6.5 version here, thought about trying
>the Corel linux.

I have SuSE 6.3 linux installed on a Thinkpad 760ED, along with Windows 98
and an Oberon OS, all booting from Linux lilo program.  I also had RedHat
5.1 installed on the same machine earlier.

Quote:>    My question is this, whenever I run the install, I get the error
"Unable
>to mount CD"   "Invalid argument.   My CD-Rom is an IBM internal for the
>laptop.  The CD-Roms actual manufacture number is a TEAC-46.

My machine has same CD-Rom, and both the SuSE and the Redhat installers
recognized it.  Choose "ATAPI" if given a choice of CD-Rom drivers required.
I suspect everything is ok regarding your hardware; you just have to
correctly identify your cdrom type to the linux installer.

Quote:>    Any suggestions????  Also, is the vi editor part of linux or something
>will have to find???

vi comes with linux.  I found the learning curve steep.  Emacs was easier to
start out with.  I have found Word Perfect (comes with Corel Linux, or
download for free) to be congenial, if your used to the major Win word
processors.

-- Hal

1. Linux Laptop config database?? Linux Laptop NG?

Does a database of Linux configuration settings for laptops exist?  If so
where?  I have found pages dealing specifically with running Linux on the
IBM Thinkpad family and NEC Versa laptops, and I'd like to see more.

I'm really interested in running xwin on a subnote.  But which one to buy?
Any suggestions?  Are there Linux Laptop newsgroups?

TIA
J. Vitosky

2. setting the cursor color in Dtterm

3. Laptop To Laptop Data Transfer

4. peer to peer issues

5. Laptop to laptop

6. broken pipe

7. problem install redhat in my laptop gateway 9550 (laptop won't boot from CD)

8. Help Resetting stdin

9. The answer to your laptop questions....Sun's first ever laptop!

10. laptop<->beamer : refresh frequency and svideo-out on my laptop

11. [laptop] Getting the network up on my laptop...

12. ping finds server from laptop, but not laptop from server!