recommend a good SCSI adapter

Post by Matt Garma » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:26:35

I'm looking for a decent PCI SCSI card with good Linux support.

I don't need the latest and greatest, or even the fastest; I'm concerned
more with quality, reliability and stability.  I plan to run a 36 GB 10k
SCSI hard drive.

The Adaptecs are too expensive.  I have a Tekram dc390u2w in my other
computer.  I've had good luck with this card, under Linux and OpenBSD.
I'll probably buy another, unless I can find something comparable for a
lower price (the Tekram runs about $130 US).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

--

The given email address is invalid.  Replace the string
"bogus" with "net" to obtain my correct email address.

recommend a good SCSI adapter

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:31:05

Quote:> I'm looking for a decent PCI SCSI card with good Linux support.

> I don't need the latest and greatest, or even the fastest; I'm concerned
> more with quality, reliability and stability.  I plan to run a 36 GB 10k
> SCSI hard drive.

> The Adaptecs are too expensive.  I have a Tekram dc390u2w in my other
> computer.  I've had good luck with this card, under Linux and OpenBSD.
> I'll probably buy another, unless I can find something comparable for a
> lower price (the Tekram runs about $130 US).

I've had good service from a couple of Advansys cards.  I got them in a
swap, so I'm not sure of pricing.

JW

Post by Johan Kullsta » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 03:44:34

> I'm looking for a decent PCI SCSI card with good Linux support.

> I don't need the latest and greatest, or even the fastest; I'm concerned
> more with quality, reliability and stability.  I plan to run a 36 GB 10k
> SCSI hard drive.

> The Adaptecs are too expensive.  I have a Tekram dc390u2w in my other
> computer.  I've had good luck with this card, under Linux and OpenBSD.
> I'll probably buy another, unless I can find something comparable for a
> lower price (the Tekram runs about $130 US).

> Any thoughts?

Hyper microsystems <URL:http://www.hypermicro.com/> has an LSI logic
U160 for $69 (bare bones) and for $89 you can get one with cables and
such.  Add shipping and handling fees and you are still under $100.

Centrix international <URL:http://www.centrix-intl.com/> has a qlogic
controller for $39.  I am sure this is bare bones so you'll need a
cable.  Centrix sells those cheap too.

I have bought from both of these places and am happy with my results.
Pricewatch is another place to go to chase cheap parts.

Expect no hand-holding support about installation.  Check for linux
compatibility.  The lsilogic is superb under linux; it's as well
supported as anything in linux.  I think the qlogic has a linux driver
too, but I don't have any first hand experience with it.  Also there
may be some issues in cramming a 64 bit card into a 32 bit PCI slot.

Hope this helps.

--

recommend a good SCSI adapter

Post by bro.. » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 05:45:31

While I've been using Adaptec for quite a while, I used to have great
success with Bustek. Check it out as well.
--
      Haines Brown

        www.hartford-hwp.com

recommend a good SCSI adapter

Post by Rich Piotrowsk » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 06:29:00

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:26:35 GMT, Matt Garman

>I'm looking for a decent PCI SCSI card with good Linux support.

>I don't need the latest and greatest, or even the fastest; I'm concerned
>more with quality, reliability and stability.  I plan to run a 36 GB 10k
>SCSI hard drive.

>The Adaptecs are too expensive.  I have a Tekram dc390u2w in my other
>computer.  I've had good luck with this card, under Linux and OpenBSD.
>I'll probably buy another, unless I can find something comparable for a
>lower price (the Tekram runs about $130 US).

>Any thoughts?

>Thanks,
>Matt

Ok, I'll throw my $.02 worth in here. LSI Logic. Never had a* of
trouble and are well supported in Linux.

More info here;

http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
"Now are you talking about what it is you know
Or just repeating what it was you heard."

To E-mail use: rpiotro(at)wi(dot)rr(dot)com

Post by Matt Garma » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:11:15

Quote:> Hyper microsystems <URL:http://www.hypermicro.com/> has an LSI logic
> U160 for $69 (bare bones) and for $89 you can get one with cables and
> such.  Add shipping and handling fees and you are still under $100.

Ahh, that looks good enough for me.  It uses the Symbios/LSI 53c1010
chip, which appears to be supported by the sym53c8xx_2 driver in Linux
(can anyone verify this?).

By the way, newegg.com has that card (bare, card only) for $38!

So while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good 10k RPM 36 GB SCSI hard
drive?  Right now I'm looking at the Fujitsu MAP3367NP.

I'm making the assumption that pretty much any SCSI drive will be more
reliable than an IDE drive.  Performance isn't the issue, reliability is
my main concern.  I've been prompted to go SCSI because I'm *scared* of
IDE: I'm currently RMA'ing my *fourth* Western Digial wd1200jb drive
(IDE).  I've had one good one and four bad ones.  My main system is
running on the one good one; I no longer trust it.  The four bad ones
were supposed to go in my other computer to be the live backup!  The
other computer already runs off of SCSI.  I figured I'll be safe and
actually run my main system of SCSI as well.  The IDE will be demoted to
simple data storage.

Thanks everyone!
Matt

--

Post by a » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:08:05

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:26:35 GMT, Matt Garman

>I'm looking for a decent PCI SCSI card with good Linux support.

>I don't need the latest and greatest, or even the fastest; I'm concerned
>more with quality, reliability and stability.  I plan to run a 36 GB 10k
>SCSI hard drive.

>The Adaptecs are too expensive.  I have a Tekram dc390u2w in my other
>computer.  I've had good luck with this card, under Linux and OpenBSD.
>I'll probably buy another, unless I can find something comparable for a
>lower price (the Tekram runs about $130 US).

>Any thoughts?

>Thanks,
>Matt

>--

>The given email address is invalid.  Replace the string
>"bogus" with "net" to obtain my correct email address.
>Down with spam!

This group recommended Adaptec AHA2940U2W's when I asked that
question.  As they are no longer manufactured I purchased several of
them on eBay.  Simply plugged them into my systems, rebooted (RH8.0)
and they've been working ever since.

Good luck.

recommend a good SCSI adapter

Post by a » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:09:34

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 01:11:15 GMT, Matt Garman

>> Hyper microsystems <URL:http://www.hypermicro.com/> has an LSI logic
>> U160 for $69 (bare bones) and for $89 you can get one with cables and
>> such.  Add shipping and handling fees and you are still under $100.

>Ahh, that looks good enough for me.  It uses the Symbios/LSI 53c1010
>chip, which appears to be supported by the sym53c8xx_2 driver in Linux
>(can anyone verify this?).

>By the way, newegg.com has that card (bare, card only) for $38!

>So while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good 10k RPM 36 GB SCSI hard
>drive?  Right now I'm looking at the Fujitsu MAP3367NP.

>I'm making the assumption that pretty much any SCSI drive will be more
>reliable than an IDE drive.  Performance isn't the issue, reliability is
>my main concern.  I've been prompted to go SCSI because I'm *scared* of
>IDE: I'm currently RMA'ing my *fourth* Western Digial wd1200jb drive
>(IDE).  I've had one good one and four bad ones.  My main system is
>running on the one good one; I no longer trust it.  The four bad ones
>were supposed to go in my other computer to be the live backup!  The
>other computer already runs off of SCSI.  I figured I'll be safe and
>actually run my main system of SCSI as well.  The IDE will be demoted to
>simple data storage.

>Thanks everyone!
>Matt

>--

>The given email address is invalid.  Replace the string
>"bogus" with "net" to obtain my correct email address.
>Down with spam!

We use IBM/Hitachi Ultrastar SCSI drives.  Currently about $170 for a
36GB U320 drive at www.cdw.com

Post by Johan Kullsta » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 22:37:54

> > Hyper microsystems <URL:http://www.hypermicro.com/> has an LSI logic
> > U160 for $69 (bare bones) and for $89 you can get one with cables and
> > such.  Add shipping and handling fees and you are still under $100.

> Ahh, that looks good enough for me.  It uses the Symbios/LSI 53c1010
> chip, which appears to be supported by the sym53c8xx_2 driver in Linux
> (can anyone verify this?).

> By the way, newegg.com has that card (bare, card only) for $38!

Hey, nice find!  I looked there and saw a chenbro 3 drive SCA
enclosure for $120.  The reason I mention it is that you can find lots
of last year's model SCA drives for less than the 68 pin ones.

Quote:> So while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good 10k RPM 36 GB SCSI hard
> drive?  Right now I'm looking at the Fujitsu MAP3367NP.

Nod.  I see that newegg has that one at $146 which isn't at all bad.

Quote:> I'm making the assumption that pretty much any SCSI drive will be more
> reliable than an IDE drive.

I've had very good luck with my SCSI drives.  I have about 6-7
purchased over the past 5 years -- including a used Fujitsu which has
got to be going on 8 years.

But then I haven't had as bad luck as you with my IDE drives.  The one
IDE I've had to die was also a Western Digital.  However, *any* drive
can go out and others will have bad luck with some other brand and
swear by WD.

Quote:> Performance isn't the issue, reliability is
> my main concern.  I've been prompted to go SCSI because I'm *scared* of
> IDE: I'm currently RMA'ing my *fourth* Western Digial wd1200jb drive
> (IDE).  I've had one good one and four bad ones.  My main system is
> running on the one good one; I no longer trust it.  The four bad ones
> were supposed to go in my other computer to be the live backup!  The
> other computer already runs off of SCSI.  I figured I'll be safe and
> actually run my main system of SCSI as well.  The IDE will be demoted to
> simple data storage.

Ack.  Fierce story of bad drives.

--

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:53:36

> > Hyper microsystems <URL:http://www.hypermicro.com/> has an LSI logic
> > U160 for $69 (bare bones) and for $89 you can get one with cables and
> > such.  Add shipping and handling fees and you are still under $100.

> Ahh, that looks good enough for me.  It uses the Symbios/LSI 53c1010
> chip, which appears to be supported by the sym53c8xx_2 driver in Linux
> (can anyone verify this?).

Yes.  The 53c1010 works with the sym53c8xx drivers.  I've been using one
for a couple of years.

Quote:> So while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good 10k RPM 36 GB SCSI hard
> drive?  Right now I'm looking at the Fujitsu MAP3367NP.

Have a look at http://www.storagereview.com/ .  They'll tell you more
than you ever wanted to know about hard drives.

1. Will someone please recommend a good, cheap LAN adapter?

Hi ya'll:
        I plan to get a LAN adapter to put in my computer to play games
(under Win95, yuch) but since I do most of my computing (except for some
games) under OS/2, I will not buy an adapter that is not compatible with OS/2
and Linux (I just started Linux in case IBM finally drops the ball).  I have
a NCR 53C810 SCSI adapter that I like because it was cheap and compatible
with every OS.  I would like a similar NIC.
   So, will someone recommend a PCI adapter that is compatible with OS/2 and
Linux (Ethernet, probably twisted pair, but maybe combo twisted pair/coax).
     Thank you in advance.

Raul Ortegon

"Are thoughts real?  NO, we just think they are."

2. How do you easily convert returns to :\

3. Summarizing: PCMCIA SCSI-Adaptor recommended for linux?

4. IDOCS Mint (was: Plan 9)

5. PCMCIA SCSI-Adaptor recommended for linux?

6. CD-ROM Server

7. recommended PCI SCSI adapter

8. File locking problem

9. Recommend a low-end SCSI adapter?

10. recommend a cheap scsi host adapter

11. Good SCSI TAPE BACKUP - Recommend?

12. Recommend Please : good PCI SCSI card

13. Recommend good PCI/SCSI combo?