Linux smartphone model to develop small apps

Linux smartphone model to develop small apps

Post by leonardodiserpierodavi.. » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:49:13

Greetings,

I'd like to have an advice about Linux mobile phones (or
"smartphones").

I was interested in buying one on which I could develop and run some
small application i.e. in Java or Python. It should also have a digital
camera and a MP3 player.

Can anyone suggest some not-too-expensive model available on the
European market?
Thanks in advance for any hint.

Linux smartphone model to develop small apps

Post by Joe Pfeiffe » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:53:04

(the article's original followup, comp.os.linux.portable,  is one that
neither I nor my Usenet provider have ever heard of)

> Greetings,

> I'd like to have an advice about Linux mobile phones (or
> "smartphones").

> I was interested in buying one on which I could develop and run some
> small application i.e. in Java or Python. It should also have a digital
> camera and a MP3 player.

> Can anyone suggest some not-too-expensive model available on the
> European market?
> Thanks in advance for any hint.

I'd be delighted to hear an answer to, the same question, though for
the US CDMA (in particular, SprintPCS, though a good Linux phone could
move me off of Sprint) market and supporting native apps.  There seem
to be half a dozen near-contenders, but none that quite manage the
same level of "adding a phone to the platform" level as my current
PalmOS Samsung I-300 (needing replacement within a few months) or the
current WinCE offerings.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

Post by Captain Dond » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 03:14:33

> I'd be delighted to hear an answer to, the same question, though for
> the US CDMA (in particular, SprintPCS, though a good Linux phone could
> move me off of Sprint) market and supporting native apps.  There seem
> to be half a dozen near-contenders, but none that quite manage the
> same level of "adding a phone to the platform" level as my current
> PalmOS Samsung I-300 (needing replacement within a few months) or the
> current WinCE offerings.

Try this:

http://www.road-gmbh.de/

AFAIK, it's not restricted to any single provider, so just stick in a
Sprint PCS card and you're good to go...

1. Using Linux to develop Sun X-app

I've been offered a job to do some X-development that will run on a
Sun.  I'd like to develop the app under Linux on my PC, and port it to
the Sun.  I could probably test it fairly well using remote x display,
also.

        Can anyone tell me some pitfalls to look out for, or other difficulties
I might have with this arrangement?

        Thanks

        Joe Pompei

2. Question about sed on different systems

3. First steps in developing C++ apps in linux

4. ppp disconnect problems

5. What tools should I choose to develop app/sys program in Linux OS?

6. allow certain tcpdump privileges

7. Question: Any ISVs that only develop apps for Linux?

8. Solaris 8 Install Failure

9. Developing commercial apps for Linux...

10. Developing X Windows Apps for Linux

11. develop app. on Linux and run on SCO UNIX ?

12. developing X apps on Linux for other machines?

13. Develop Linux App in Windows