Best modem for mgetty+sendfax?

Post by Robert Goodw » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm thinking about buying a new 28.8 voice/fax/modem and was wondering if
anyone out there has one that is working well with mgetty+sendfax.  I
suppose that just about any modem will work with the terminal stuff but I
understand that it is a little particular about it's voice/fax stuff.

The two brands that I am more likely to buy are GVC or USR externals.
Will these be fine?

Any better suggestions from those with some personal experience?  Price
is an issue as well.

thanks,

rob

--
Robert Goodwin
Interzone Computer Consultants

If you want divine justice, die.
                -- Nick Seldon

Post by Sean V. Cas » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I'm thinking about buying a new 28.8 voice/fax/modem and was wondering if
>anyone out there has one that is working well with mgetty+sendfax.  I
>suppose that just about any modem will work with the terminal stuff but I
>understand that it is a little particular about it's voice/fax stuff.

>The two brands that I am more likely to buy are GVC or USR externals.
>Will these be fine?

>Any better suggestions from those with some personal experience?  Price
>is an issue as well.

Good question, I had the same.  I have a Courier v everything which
performed well for both data and fax, but doesn't support voice.
Also, I had a problem getting the modem to automatically switch
between data and fax modes.  The USR voice modems (Sportsters) have
been giving the developer (and beta adopters) lots of problems.  There
are a lot of determined people hacking away at it, so I'm sure vgetty
will support the Sportster eventually.

I've been told the best modem to get is the ZyXEL U1496 (used by the
developer of vgetty).  This modem always got very good reviews in the
press and was less proprietary/non-standard than USR, nor does it use
Rockwell chipset which I have been told are junk .  Although you can
still find new U1496 units for sale, ZyXEL has replaced the U1496 with
the Elite 2864 (which I ordered directly from ZyXEL as part of their
holiday special).

Elite 2864 can also be upgraded to the 2864I, one of the better ISDN
modems (ISDN terminal adapter + V.34 modem) for under $150.  It also
has very high end features like microphone/speaker jacks, flash eprom
(for 56Kb), optional 8Mb DRAM for standalone fax receive/storage, etc.

Best modem for mgetty+sendfax?

Post by Michael Plon » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

> I'm thinking about buying a new 28.8 voice/fax/modem and was wondering if
> anyone out there has one that is working well with mgetty+sendfax.  I
> suppose that just about any modem will work with the terminal stuff but I
> understand that it is a little particular about it's voice/fax stuff.
> The two brands that I am more likely to buy are GVC or USR externals.
> Will these be fine?
> Any better suggestions from those with some personal experience?  Price
> is an issue as well.

Can't help you with one of these, but I can tell you that my ole
ZyXEL 1496E is working pretty fine with the voice extension of mgetty.

cu, mikey

* Grotenbachstr. 67                                                         *

1. mgetty-sendfax problem with ZOOM modem.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you are using mgetty-sendfax with a ZOOM Vbis32.
14.4K modem (external).

I set it up yesterday, and when I send fax using faxspool and faxq,
the logfile shows as if everything went fine, but in fact only an empty
page comes out of the other end.

So if you have a worknig setup, would you please mail it to me?

Thanks,
        Tamas

2. Adminstering User Authentication Files with MSQL

3. supra fax modem and mgetty+sendfax?

4. gnome

5. Looking for someone who has setup sendfax only or mgetty also

6. kde1-apps-in panel

7. Using mgetty+sendfax

8. kernel fails with gcc > 2.7.2.3

9. mgetty+sendfax.recompile

10. mgetty+sendfax printing incoming faxes to HP LaserJet

11. mgetty sendfax

12. mgetty+sendfax problems

13. mgetty+sendfax AutoPPP WTF?