Book/guide on Linux Intel Hardware

Post by Knud » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 02:00:29

All my previous computing experience has been on Sun Sparc hardware, I
would like to know allot more about intel based machines (there seems to
be lots of different standard, cables, connector, and jumpers, irq's)
from a linux perspective, as most books and guides naturaly approach the
problem assuming windows is the os that one is working with.

Are there any books or online guides that deal the h/w setup and
technology from a linix perspective ?

Book/guide on Linux Intel Hardware

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 04:24:04

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> All my previous computing experience has been on Sun Sparc hardware, I
> would like to know allot more about intel based machines (there seems to
> be lots of different standard, cables, connector, and jumpers, irq's)
> from a linux perspective, as most books and guides naturaly approach the
> problem assuming windows is the os that one is working with.

> Are there any books or online guides that deal the h/w setup and
> technology from a linix perspective ?

My _Linux Hardware Handbook_ may be what you want. Check its Web page:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/hardware/

I wrote this "from the ground up" as a Linux hardware book, so it's
pretty focused on how Linux interacts with x86 hardware.

There's also a Linux version of _Upgrading and Repairing PCs_. That
one's much bigger than mine and has more on the nitty-gritty details of
x86 hardware, but less on how Linux interacts with the hardware.

Finally, there's a book that's basically just a compilation of various
Linux HOWTOs on hardware. I believe this one's no longer in print, but
it's still shown as in stock at Fatbrain, at least. I don't know offhand
how many of the component HOWTOs have been updated since publication.

I've got a bit more information about all of these, and links to their
Amazon and Fatbrain listings, at:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/books/books-hardware.html

Mine is the most recent of these books, and it came out in mid-2000.
Thus, you won't get information on the very latest x86 hardware, but
the basic principles and most of the general advice still applies (for
all three of these books). AFAIK, there's nothing more recent that's
Linux-specific, but there are more recent non-Linux x86 hardware books.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Post by Robert M. Taylor, Jr » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:52:39

> All my previous computing experience has been on Sun Sparc hardware, I
> would like to know allot more about intel based machines (there seems to
> be lots of different standard, cables, connector, and jumpers, irq's)
> from a linux perspective, as most books and guides naturaly approach the
> problem assuming windows is the os that one is working with.

> Are there any books or online guides that deal the h/w setup and
> technology from a linix perspective ?

Unless you have something fairly new or are building a system, most
questions can be answered here. Specific questions are best. If you are
building up a system you might check the hardware compatbility list on some
distributions box. Books - specifically technical hardware books - would be
out of date by the time they were printed.
--

Book/guide on Linux Intel Hardware

Post by Kevi » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 03:41:15

My experience is somewhat like yours.  The two books I like on
the topic of hardware are:

    Linux Hardware Handbook, from SAMS

and

    PC Hardware in a Nutshell, from O'Reilly & Associates

Of the two books, the LHH has a better Linux perspective.

G'luck....

> All my previous computing experience has been on Sun Sparc hardware, I
> would like to know allot more about intel based machines (there seems to
> be lots of different standard, cables, connector, and jumpers, irq's)
> from a linux perspective, as most books and guides naturaly approach the
> problem assuming windows is the os that one is working with.

> Are there any books or online guides that deal the h/w setup and
> technology from a linix perspective ?

1. Book/Help on Linux Intel Hardware

All my previous computing experience has been on Sun Sparc hardware, I
would like to know allot more about intel based machines (there seems to
be lots of different standard, cables, connector, and jumpers, irq's)
from a linux perspective, as most books and guides naturaly approach the
problem assuming windows is the os that one is working with.

Are there any books or online guides that deal the h/w setup and
technology from a linix perspective ?

2. NFS problem at boot time

3. Announcement: Linux Book Guide

4. How to stop the error message that shows when accessing Directory without an Index file.

5. Book: Linux Unwired: A Complete Guide to Wireless Configuration

6. System-wide virus and spam scanning with qmail-scanner

7. Linux System Administrators' Guide 0.5 - free book on system administration

8. Firewall problem

9. Linux Hardware Compatibility Guide???

10. Hardware Compatability Guide for linux?

11. Proposal: Linux Hardware Buying Guide

12. Linux Setup Guide and System administration guide.

13. Expert Guide: A Text Mode Norton Guide Reader For Linux