Linux won't recognize CDROM

Post by Rampagin Beagl » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm running Debian Linux 2.0.2 on my PII 333.  When I install it, it
recognizes my CDROM perfectly.  (Which should be expected since I booted
off the CDROM.)  However, once I boot into Linux normally, it doesn't
recognize my CDROM as being connected.  When Linux is loading, it even
says that the device on /dev/hda is not connected.  Anyone know any way
to get it to recognize the drive?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Rampagin Beagle

Linux won't recognize CDROM

Post by Oded Arbe » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I'm running Debian Linux 2.0.2 on my PII 333.  When I install it, it
>recognizes my CDROM perfectly.  (Which should be expected since I booted
>off the CDROM.)  However, once I boot into Linux normally, it doesn't
>recognize my CDROM as being connected.  When Linux is loading, it even
>says that the device on /dev/hda is not connected.  Anyone know any way
>to get it to recognize the drive?  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

>Rampagin Beagle

I have the same problem (my cdrom is at /dev/hdc) and I can't seem to make
it work for me (linux does not detect it during boot). also , sometimes it
does work !! Y ? I don't know. sometimes (when it doesn't work) I get a
funny looking message during boot , something like :
 ide2 : port are open - no probe.
if you have an answer, could you please post to this news group ?
Oded

1. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

Hi, I'm new to Linux and trying to install it on my computer.  I bought
the 'Toolkit for Linux' from Walnut Creek.  When I used the scsi boot
disk and color144 root disk, it would recognize my SCSI controller (Pro
Audio Spectrum 16) but not the SCSI CDROM attached to it.  Finally, I
copied the A disks onto floppies and installed with those.  I thought
then I might be able to mount it.  As instructed in the CDROM-HOWTO, I ran:

mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0
and
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom

but it said that /dev/sr0 was not a valid block device.  Doesn't the 'b'
in the mknod command create it as a block device?
Also, I read in another post to
cat /proc/devices
and
cat /proc/filesystems

to find out about my active devices, but I have neither of those files.
Any ideas?  I don't want to install ALL of the Linux stuff by disk!
                                Thanks.
                                        Emil Aalto

2. Unattended Backup Solutions

3. Linux:Won't recognize CDROM after installation

4. No HD detect when booting Linux 2.0.30 on IBM PS/1

5. linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

6. Linux and ISDN Interface

7. Linux won't recognize SB / CDROM

8. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

9. LINUX won't recognize my CDROM

10. CDROM: Linux won't recognize it- Please help

11. Redhat Linux won't recognize my Pioneer CDROM

12. Changed cdrom setting now linux won't recognize it

13. HELP: Slackware 2.2.0 won't recognize my ATAPI/IDE CDROM drive