problems w/ broadcom wireless 4319 rev2 ...

problems w/ broadcom wireless 4319 rev2 ...

Post by weevi » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:00:52

hello,

i've returned my hp compaq nx6125 laptop 4x because of endless problems
with this wireless chipset. the most recent laptop worked with winxp,
sort of, it can't seem to do better than 100 KB/s. after using
ndiswrapper with the same driver (hp site driver), i got a force message
and now the wireless doesn't work on either linux or win xp?

on my first hp laptop, i had found a bcmwl5a.inf which worked fine. i
can't seem to find that driver anymore - got it from the web somewhere.
i'm trying 2 different versions of the bcmwl5.inf from hp that don't
work. any help would be appreciated.

Post by Chri » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:12:24

> hello,

> i've returned my hp compaq nx6125 laptop 4x because of endless
> problems with this wireless chipset. the most recent laptop worked
> with winxp, sort of, it can't seem to do better than 100 KB/s. after
> using ndiswrapper with the same driver (hp site driver), i got a force
> message and now the wireless doesn't work on either linux or win xp?

> on my first hp laptop, i had found a bcmwl5a.inf which worked fine. i
> can't seem to find that driver anymore - got it from the web
> somewhere. i'm trying 2 different versions of the bcmwl5.inf from hp
> that don't work. any help would be appreciated.

Did you see the link I posted to your previous thread?
http://home.telkomsa.net/richm/hp-nx6125.html

Also it would be very useful to know which distro you're using and
perhaps some 'real' error messages rather than vague descriptions.

problems w/ broadcom wireless 4319 rev2 ...

Post by weevi » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:53:21

thanks for the reply - didn't realise i had a previous thread?

sorry for the lack of info. right now i'm running zenwalk 2.6 - 32 bit
(slack based) with a 2.6.16 kernel. when i install the wireless driver i
get a force message. 'ndiswrapper -l' says the hardware is detected and
driver is loaded. 'iwconfig wlan0' shows the card. after configuring the
wlan0 with iwconfig, essid, mode, and key the card doesn't show up in
ifconfig after running dhcp. iwconfig still shows essid=any instead of
the network name i gave it with 'iwconfig wlan0 essid mynetwork'? syslog
shows a timeout error from dhcp when trying to connect.

apparently a driver for this chipset will be available in kernel version
2.6.17 but in the meantime i'd like to find a winxp driver called
'bcmwl5a.inf' which worked previously without force messages after
running 'ndiswrapper -i'. and, yes, i am running 'modprobe ndiswrapper'

thanks again.

>> hello,

>> i've returned my hp compaq nx6125 laptop 4x because of endless
>> problems with this wireless chipset. the most recent laptop worked
>> with winxp, sort of, it can't seem to do better than 100 KB/s. after
>> using ndiswrapper with the same driver (hp site driver), i got a force
>> message and now the wireless doesn't work on either linux or win xp?

>> on my first hp laptop, i had found a bcmwl5a.inf which worked fine. i
>> can't seem to find that driver anymore - got it from the web
>> somewhere. i'm trying 2 different versions of the bcmwl5.inf from hp
>> that don't work. any help would be appreciated.

> Did you see the link I posted to your previous thread?
> http://home.telkomsa.net/richm/hp-nx6125.html

> Also it would be very useful to know which distro you're using and
> perhaps some 'real' error messages rather than vague descriptions.

problems w/ broadcom wireless 4319 rev2 ...

Post by Chri » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 01:25:10

[please don't top-post]

>>> i've returned my hp compaq nx6125 laptop 4x because of endless
>>> problems with this wireless chipset. the most recent laptop worked
>>> with winxp, sort of, it can't seem to do better than 100 KB/s. after
>>> using ndiswrapper with the same driver (hp site driver), i got a
>>> force message and now the wireless doesn't work on either linux or
>>> win xp?
>> Also it would be very useful to know which distro you're using and
>> perhaps some 'real' error messages rather than vague descriptions.

> thanks for the reply - didn't realise i had a previous thread?

This one:
http://tinyurl.com/zolcj

Quote:> sorry for the lack of info. right now i'm running zenwalk 2.6 - 32 bit
> (slack based) with a 2.6.16 kernel. when i install the wireless driver
> i get a force message. 'ndiswrapper -l' says the hardware is detected
> and driver is loaded. 'iwconfig wlan0' shows the card. after
> configuring the wlan0 with iwconfig, essid, mode, and key the card
> doesn't show up in ifconfig after running dhcp. iwconfig still shows
> essid=any instead of the network name i gave it with 'iwconfig wlan0
> essid mynetwork'? syslog shows a timeout error from dhcp when trying
> to connect.

Unfortunately I have no idea as I don't use linux on a laptop. The only
reason I read your post is that I'm interested in getting the same
laptop as you. Not so sure now, though....

Quote:> apparently a driver for this chipset will be available in kernel
> version 2.6.17 but in the meantime i'd like to find a winxp driver
> called 'bcmwl5a.inf' which worked previously without force messages
> after running 'ndiswrapper -i'. and, yes, i am running 'modprobe
> ndiswrapper'

a google for 'bcmwl5a.inf' found this:
http://biginoz.free.fr/linux/bcmwl5a.inf

via:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

HTH

problems w/ broadcom wireless 4319 rev2 ...

Post by weevi » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:43:37

thanks for the info. googled in vain for the actual '.inf' file but only
found a lot of references to it. gonna try the driver tonight or tomorrow.

i had a lot of bad luck with the laptop. acpi seems to be running better
with the 2.6.16 kernel, the wireless is pretty flaky so far - it's
running again on xp. overall it looks better than the acers on paper for
the same price.

the ndiswrapper wiki actually only has 1 reference to 4319 rev2 and
that's for 64 bit. lots of 4318's though.

> Unfortunately I have no idea as I don't use linux on a laptop. The only
> reason I read your post is that I'm interested in getting the same
> laptop as you. Not so sure now, though....

> a google for 'bcmwl5a.inf' found this:
> http://biginoz.free.fr/linux/bcmwl5a.inf

> via:
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

> HTH

problems w/ broadcom wireless 4319 rev2 ...

Post by Ivan Novic » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:50:34

Why not try the native linux driver, you can get it and instructions at
http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

problems w/ broadcom wireless 4319 rev2 ...

Post by weevi » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:35:31

my understanding of this is i would have to compile a whole new kernel.
i have acpi issues as well. once a stable/final 2.6.17 kernel is
released i'll consider it. ultimately that is what i would prefer and
avoid using anything microsoft or written for the win32 environment. thanks.

Post by Chri » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:43:56

> thanks for the info. googled in vain for the actual '.inf' file but
> only found a lot of references to it. gonna try the driver tonight or
> tomorrow.

> i had a lot of bad luck with the laptop. acpi seems to be running
> better with the 2.6.16 kernel, the wireless is pretty flaky so far -
> it's running again on xp. overall it looks better than the acers on
> paper for the same price.

Which model did you go for? Is it the one with a ML40 processor and
SXGA+ resolution screen (1400 x 1050)? Or one of the others...

I'm still debating whether to go for this one or wait for an equivalent
Intel Core laptop. I particularly need the high-res screen and at that
price point there isn't much choice :-( The Acer Travelmate 4672LMI is
about the only other one.

1. problem w/ broadcom wireless card 4319 rev 2 ...

hello,

sent these posts to 'linux hardware' and thought i'd post here as well -
thanks.

i've returned my hp compaq nx6125 laptop 4x because of endless
 > problems with this wireless chipset. the most recent laptop worked
 > with winxp, sort of, it can't seem to do better than 100 KB/s. after
 > using ndiswrapper with the same driver (hp site driver), i got a force
 > message and now the wireless doesn't work on either linux or win xp?
 >
 > on my first hp laptop, i had found a bcmwl5a.inf which worked fine. i
 > can't seem to find that driver anymore - got it from the web
 > somewhere. i'm trying 2 different versions of the bcmwl5.inf from hp
 > that don't work. any help would be appreciated.

sorry for the lack of info. right now i'm running zenwalk 2.6 - 32 bit
(slack based) with a 2.6.16 kernel. when i install the wireless driver i
get a force message. 'ndiswrapper -l' says the hardware is detected and
driver is loaded. 'iwconfig wlan0' shows the card. after configuring the
wlan0 with iwconfig, essid, mode, and key the card doesn't show up in
ifconfig after running dhcp. iwconfig still shows essid=any instead of
the network name i gave it with 'iwconfig wlan0 essid mynetwork'? syslog
shows a timeout error from dhcp when trying to connect.

apparently a driver for this chipset will be available in kernel version
2.6.17 but in the meantime i'd like to find a winxp driver called
'bcmwl5a.inf' which worked previously without force messages after
running 'ndiswrapper -i'. and, yes, i am running 'modprobe ndiswrapper'

2. autostart squid

3. Tek 4319 threads?

4. alarm.

5. FWD: Wireless Broadcom GD

6. VNC Viewer question

7. Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

8. utp crossover cable - 4 or 8 wires needed?

9. Need help configuring Broadcom Wireless card (Ndiswrapper is installed)

10. Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

11. Broadcom Wireless-G and Linux

12. Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

13. Ndiswrapper with broadcom bcm inbuilt wireless