iomega floptical

Post by John D'Ausil » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone used a floptical? My scsi driver sees the drive, but I have
been unsuccessful in creating a partition or making a filesystem. Are
there special tools required for handling removable media? How the
heck do you format one?

Any help appreciated!

John D'Ausilio

iomega floptical

Post by FJ Hernand » Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Has anyone used a floptical? My scsi driver sees the drive, but I have
>been unsuccessful in creating a partition or making a filesystem. Are
>there special tools required for handling removable media? How the
>heck do you format one?

>Any help appreciated!

>John D'Ausilio

Hi John
I have an Iomega SCSI Floptical working in Linux.
this is the way I handle the IOMEGA FLOPTICAL.
All the idea came from the fact that in MS-DOS the Floptical is
treated like a MS-DOS Volume so I thought that in linux it should be
treated like a HD.

**********************Start here***********************************
1.- First of all you should check the filesystem which identify the
unit.
In my case was /dev/sdb. Just put a disk in the unit.
2.- What I did was "fdisk /dev/sdb"; then if you choose the option to
see partitions (I think was "p") you will see some extranges
partitions. (Well I have to say that the floptical disk was previously
formatted with msdos).
then what I did was to delete ALL the partitions and create a new one
for the full disk.
Using the option mentioned previously ("p") I did got the following:

Device Boot     Begin   Start   End     Blocks  Id      System
/dev/sdb1       1       1       19      19440   83      Linux Native
Disk /dev/sdb: 64 hears, 32 sectors, 19 cylinders
Units: cylinders of 2048*512 bytes

3.- I executed "mke2fs /dev/sdb1 19440"

4.- To check the space available in the Floptical disk, I just mounted
the unit and then I did "df". What I got was:

Filesystem      1024-blocks     Used    Available       Capacity
Mounted on
/dev/sdb1       18818           13      17833           0%
/mnt
*********************************************END******************************************

I hope this can help you.
I would like to have your Email address if possible so we can exchange
experience about Floptical in Linux.

Bye,
Javi,
Valencia, Spain

1. Iomega Floptical drive problem

Can anybody tell me how to get an Iomega Floptical (21Mb) drive to work
under Linux? The drive is connected to an AHA1510 SCSI adapter, using the
aha152x driver. (The adapter works fine, as we have had a tape drive
running from it) The problem is that we cannot get the aha152x module to
install if the Floptical drive is connected. The system grinds to a halt
whenever any attempt to load the module is made. The system is a DX2-66
(IBM) running Linux 2.0.22. Any help on this matter would be much
appreciated.

Richard Parker

2. Help needed: configurating XFree / Cirrus Logic GD5428

3. IOmega floptical and Linux ?

4. <Q> PPP for HP-UX?

5. IOMEGA FLOPTICAL Unit

6. question about driver with IPAQ cradle

7. iOmega 21MB Floptical Drive

8. RDIST: need documentation

9. iomega 2GB jaz drive (with iomega SCSI) and RedHat 5.2, installation problem #3

10. iomega JAZ + iomega SCSI

11. Linux on Floptical...

12. Installing Redhat with LS120 floptical

13. Support for Floptical drives??