help with printk

Post by Nils Wyga » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I need some help.......

I'm writing a device driver and  I can't see any of the debugging
printk's that are made from within the module code.  Printk is the kernel
equivalent to printf but it sends it's output to the console.  I've read
that when using printk's from within X  (i'm using RedHat 6.0 and Gnome)
 you won't see the output because ofX's use of "Virtual"
terminals......???
 I did a man on xterm and saw a -C option but this had no effect.
 It's suppose to redirect all Console output to the active "virtual"
terminal.
It also says that it's not guaranteed to work.   o-well....   this was the
case it seems.
 Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Nils

1. help with printk

I need some help.......

I'm writing a device driver and  I can't see any of the debugging
printk's that are made from within the module code.  Printk is the kernel
equivalent to printf but it sends it's output to the console.  I've read
that when using printk's from within X  (i'm using RedHat 6.0 and Gnome)
 you won't see the output because ofX's use of "Virtual"
terminals......???
 I did a man on xterm and saw a -C option but this had no effect.
 It's suppose to redirect all Console output to the active "virtual"
terminal.
It also says that it's not guaranteed to work.   o-well....   this was the
case it seems.
 Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Nils

2. A $PATH for all to see...

3. Help with printk

4. looking for soundtool-like program

5. help with printk

6. 2.1.5 Install Problem With DAT

7. Help : Device Driver : Why I can't do printk from xxx_init !!

8. Netscape 475 locking desktop

9. Help needed with printk and klogd

10. 2.5.45 [TRIVIAL]: Cosmetic ide-cd error message printk format

11. linux hangs with printk on schedule()

12. printk

13. Where is printk?