Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

Post by Dave Richard » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I really need some help with this one.

I have a 3Com/USR External 56K X2 Voice Faxmodem.  I upgraded it to V.90 the
day I bought it (why pay $50+ more for a V.90 modem when you can upgrade for
free anyway?).  It's a model '00178400'.  It's connected to serial port 2 on
my computer, and serial port 2 is manually set up as COM2 2F8 IRQ3 in the
BIOS.  I have a Mouse Systems mouse on serial port 1, which is set up as
COM1 3F8 IRQ4 in the BIOS.  I have no other COM ports in the system and no
IRQ conflicts.

The modem works perfectly within Windows 9x/NT.  I have not had a single
problem in Windows.  However, when I use Red Hat 5.0 on my system, the modem
doesn't quite work correctly.  I have /dev/modem set up as a symbolic link
to /dev/cua1 (I've also tried ttyS1, and I get the same results).  When I
open minicom, I get the initialization on the screen (e.g. ATZ, OK).  All AT
commands I type in come up with an 'OK' as the result, so I know that the
modem is working at this point.

When I dial is a different story, however.  When I dial using manual 'ATDT'
commands or from the dialer within minicom, it dials.. gives the 'CONNECT
50666/ARQ' or 'CONNECT 49333/ARQ'.. followed by a bunch of garbage.  This
garbage has had three appearances:

1)
....x...Cf...c..d.f.a..sd.f...c.s..d..f....`....`.`.`.....df.a...x..x...x.c.
    (or something similar - I can't cut and paste to Windows and I have a
non-Linux printer)

2) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3)
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
`````

This is happening regardless of the number being connected to and the
modulation used.  I have tried disabling x2 via using "S32=34", but that has
not worked.  It disabled the x2, connects at 28.8-33.6 and still gives the
same problem.  I have tried using a "AT&F" to restore defaults.  Same thing.
I've even connected to a 14.4 BBS here in town, and I got junk on the screen
again.  There seems to be a few places that I have actually gotten the
proper ANSI/ASCII text on the screen.

I've even tried turning off the power to the modem and turning it back on,
but that doesn't give me any more luck.  I've also tried not using a
symbolic link and using /dev/cua1 and /dev/ttyS1 directly.  I just can't
seem to get it to work.  The modem is a plug and play modem, but only as far
as the "recognition" of the modem.  The COM settings and everything else are
already set up via the COM port.

The kicker is that it also does the same thing with Slackware 3.2 as well as
my Red Hat 5.0.

What's going on?

Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

Post by Eberhard Bur » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Check your manual and make sure you're using a fixed DTE/DCE
rate. Some modems like to adapt the speed on the serial line to the
actual transfer (over the phone line) speed. You don't want that.

Regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows

Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

Post by Dave Richard » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Thank you!  You're a very kind-hearted man!  That worked perfectly.  Little
did I know that one of the settings stored in the NVRAM was not a default
setting.  I just had to type "AT&B1" and then I dialed, and I did NOT
receive any junk on the screen.  Worked flawlessly.  Thanks again!  I would
not have thought of that.

Dave

>Check your manual and make sure you're using a fixed DTE/DCE
>rate. Some modems like to adapt the speed on the serial line to the
>actual transfer (over the phone line) speed. You don't want that.

>Regards,
>--
>Eberhard Burr    check

http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
Quote:>                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie
follows
>For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.
> -- Harrison

Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

Post by friedhelm.mehner » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[snip]
: When I dial is a different story, however.  When I dial using manual 'ATDT'
: commands or from the dialer within minicom, it dials.. gives the 'CONNECT
: 50666/ARQ' or 'CONNECT 49333/ARQ'.. followed by a bunch of garbage.  This
: garbage has had three appearances:

: 1)
: ....x...Cf...c..d.f.a..sd.f...c.s..d..f....`....`.`.`.....df.a...x..x...x.c.
[snip]

This looks to me like wrong baudrate or wrong number of databits
and/or stopbits.

After connecting and receiving the garbage, try to change the
settings within minicom, press return a few times and see if
at some point you get something useful.
Then note the parameters.
You may have to be a little fast and try several times, since
the "other side" may hang up on you.

There is something wrong with the setup of your modem
(wrong init string).
It seems like it is adjusting the speed at which it is
communicating with the computer to the speed it is connecting
to the ISP.
You want to setup it, so it does not follow the baudrate of
the outside connection. It should keep constant speed in
communicating with the computer.

Sorry to be not more specific here, but I don't know your modem.

Good Luck,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

1. Has anybody had problems with US Robotics 56K External modems in kernel 2.4?

Or rather, has anybody had successes with said modems in said kernel?
I'm new to Linux, and I seem to have everything working great - I'm
running Debian on one box and Redhat on the other, and they both work
just fine.  The only problem I'm having is that I'm using the 7.2
distribution of Redhat, so I'm running kernel version 2.4 (I beleive
that's the latest one).

My modem is a US Robotics 56K external modem (I'm not sure how to get
any more information on the hardware, since nothing else is written on
the case - I hope that's specific enough); it runs just fine, but pppd
seems to drop me an awful lot, and I can't figure out why.  I'm sure
it's not my ISP (tried it for two weeks on a Windoze machine and had
no problems - argh).  Now I'm trying to figure out if it's the modem
itself, or something in my pppd configuration/kernel setup (?).

After a period ranging from two minutes to an hour, I get a pppd gets
a SIGHUP (I can see this in the /var/log/messages file) and pppd dies
- is this coming from the modem itself?  I don't have a USR-specific
driver for it (nor can I seem to find one), but I thought external
modems were pretty much supported by default in Linux without special
drivers.

Thanks in advance!

2. Error in LinuxPPC Q3 Installer

3. US Robotics 56K External Voice Faxmodem small problem

4. xv-3.00 and Solaris 2.3

5. Problem with modem US Robotics 56k Win modem

6. Noncommercial license for old OS versions?

7. US Robotics 56k Voice (internal) modem under Suse Linux 7.2

8. Screen Blanker in SunOs 5.X/ Solaris 2.x

9. U.S. Robotics ISA Voice/Fax Modem With Linux??

10. us robotics sportser 33.6 voice internal modem supported with slackware linux?

11. U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win Modem for SuSE Linux 6.1

12. US Robotics 56K Voice PnP Modem

13. US Robotics 5686 external modem fails to connect-kppp-RH7.2