BAD SECTOR?

Post by JASON NAUGHT » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

A friend of mine received the following error when accessing his SCSI
drive:

SCSI disk error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code=18000002
current error sd803=sense key medium error
scsidisk I/O error: dev 0803, sector 311308

Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 8/3)
                ext2_read_inode: unable to read i-node
                block_inode=38924,block=155654

Is this the error that is issued if a bad sector is found?  If so can
you point me where I can find out how to mark the sector bad?  The
drive has been reformatted which was a temporary quick fix but it
seems that this error is persistent.

                Cheers
                                Jason Naughton

BAD SECTOR?

Post by Anders M » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> A friend of mine received the following error when accessing his SCSI
> drive:

> SCSI disk error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code=18000002
> current error sd803=sense key medium error
> scsidisk I/O error: dev 0803, sector 311308

> Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 8/3)
>            ext2_read_inode: unable to read i-node
>            block_inode=38924,block=155654

> Is this the error that is issued if a bad sector is found?  If so can
> you point me where I can find out how to mark the sector bad?  The
> drive has been reformatted which was a temporary quick fix but it
> seems that this error is persistent.

>            Cheers
>                            Jason Naughton

Well, I dont know what happened to your friends drive, but I would like to
have some views on this as well, since I had to deliver my brand new
hard drive back to the store because of bad blocks that wouldnt disappear.
That was on an IDE, by the way.

Anders.

BAD SECTOR?

Post by Dave Pla » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> SCSI disk error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code=18000002
>> current error sd803=sense key medium error
>> scsidisk I/O error: dev 0803, sector 311308
>> Is this the error that is issued if a bad sector is found?

Yes.

Quote:>>                                                         If so can
>> you point me where I can find out how to mark the sector bad?

You'll need to find a program which will let you do a REASSIGN BLOCK
command.  There _may_ be one available for Linux, using the sg "SCSI
Generic" interface.  You might be able to hack up a copy of the
scsiinfo program (which uses this interface).

Or, you could hook up the drive temporarily to a Macintosh, and use
FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit - their "World Control" program has a
reassign-block command.

Quote:>>                                                              The
>> drive has been reformatted which was a temporary quick fix but it
>> seems that this error is persistent.

Once you've reassigned the block, its position will be added to the
drive's "grown" defect list.  This should ensure that the block is not
put back into service if you reformat the drive again at some point in
the future.

Quote:>Well, I dont know what happened to your friends drive, but I would like to
>have some views on this as well, since I had to deliver my brand new
>hard drive back to the store because of bad blocks that wouldnt disappear.
>That was on an IDE, by the way.

With IDE, I understand it's more of a problem.  IDE drives do have the
ability to maintain a defect list, and "map out" the bad blocks when
they are factory-formatted.  However, as far as I've ever heard, there
isn't a way to do any further bad-block marking or reassignment at the
drive-controller level once the drive leaves the factory.  You have to
depend on the operating system to mark these blocks as being bad at
the filesystem level, and this is not always easy, reliable, or even
possible to do.

I'd suggest that any hard drive which develops a significant number of
bad blocks during its first few weeks of use should be returned for a
warranty replacement.

--

      USNAIL: The 3DO Company, Systems Software group
              600 Galveston Drive

BAD SECTOR?

Post by James Youngm » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

You can fix bad sectors using the -l option of fsck(8).
James.